• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AMERICA DIVIDES: The Multi-Party US Election of 2016

I can definitely see some of the Progressive Party breaking off in response to a coalition but given the OTL Squad I'm not convinced any MCs would be amongst them.

How much of the current dynamic is one created by knowing you can only be elected by being a democrat and being a small minority in said party rather than having your own ticket and organization though?

I don't think a coalition is unworkable and I don't think it'll automatically make people bail. But on the other hand, the pressure to get quite a bit from the liberals in negotiation or stay out is going to be much stronger when you're basically the only option to form government.

The best thing is that once all these results bedded in, all political stereotypes and rhetoric has to shift. The Deep South is now the good ol' liberal boys not like those racist Pennsylvanians and Jersey reality show fools, or scroungers & illegals unlike the good decent early states of the union, depending on what twitter communities you meme in.

The best thing is that once all these results bedded in, all political stereotypes and rhetoric has to shift. The Deep South is now the good ol' liberal boys not like those racist Pennsylvanians and Jersey reality show fools, or scroungers & illegals unlike the good decent early states of the union, depending on what twitter communities you meme in.

those cultural changes would also be followed by eventual long-term political shifts as well. for example, shifting the South from a bastion of conservativism ensured through long standing white supremacist legal/political structures to a stronghold of multiracial liberalism will see drastic matieral change over the course of a few decades if not a few years. like the Midwest becoming a home of labor politics and progressive social movements, cemented by institutional support from the now regionally dominant Progressive Party, could completely shift the decline of the industrial economy and drastically shift the demographics of the region. things like that.

those cultural changes would also be followed by eventual long-term political shifts as well. for example, shifting the South from a bastion of conservativism ensured through long standing white supremacist legal/political structures to a stronghold of multiracial liberalism will see drastic matieral change over the course of a few decades if not a few years. like the Midwest becoming a home of labor politics and progressive social movements, cemented by institutional support from the now regionally dominant Progressive Party, could completely shift the decline of the industrial economy and drastically shift the demographics of the region. things like that.

Nothing will change in the south though, because this is just national election results, and the machinery of southern conservatism is entrenched in state level politics, which the reforms failed to alter.

The liberals will still fail to win majorities in gerrymandered state houses which ensure the state houses remain gerrymandered.

It's likely to radicalize the right even further against the federal government though, since the gerrymander keeping them on top is harder now, and they can't even block things as a minority anymore.

I think the issue with this is most of those Southern states (for instance) are presumably going to end up still governed by the right wing, just as a coalition, whilst the Liberals are the largest party but remain in opposition.

I think the issue with this is most of those Southern states (for instance) are presumably going to end up still governed by the right wing, just as a coalition, whilst the Liberals are the largest party but remain in opposition.

Not even, because I don't think anything changed in state level elections. So I assume the right still runs as one party there.

Not even, because I don't think anything changed in state level elections. So I assume the right still runs as one party there.
I thought I remembered there being some reference to some kind of change but it was just offhand and it's not entirely clear what tbf
"No, in many ways one could argue that it can't be changed. The states have the final say, just as they did when Mr Obama called for the Article V convention which Katty mentioned. Normally the powerful state governments would also be elected tonight, well, some of them, but those elections have been delayed in order to apply the new constitutional amendments on that level of government."

I thought I remembered there being some reference to some kind of change but it was just offhand and it's not entirely clear what tbf

Ah, I thought I remembered it failing, but apparently I remembered wrong.

This is likely to change things drastically. The right is unlikely to be as divided by then, but even just killing their gerrymanders could swing a few states.

Ah, I thought I remembered it failing, but apparently I remembered wrong.

This is likely to change things drastically. The right is unlikely to be as divided by then, but even just killing their gerrymanders could swing a few states.
Yeah I think the main impact will be in cases where OTL legislatures have been made uncompetitive but statewide elections still are.

Also, bear in mind that any constitutional change this large probably means the VRA is back in town and actually getting enforced, which makes it rather harder to keep the machines going

This talk about state-level results almost makes me want to try some maps of state elections in this setting. Could also dust off my one legally permitted Parliamentary America TL, too.

38 inc Texas complete map
"As we just heard, the California results are now coming in thick and fast..."

Rich (BB code):
	CA-23		
	Nat          	110,788   	45.2%
	Lib          	47,090    	19.2%
	Prog          	41,224    	16.8%
	Fus          	31,563    	12.9%
	All          	14,199    	5.8%
	Cst          	0         	0%
	Con          	0         	0%

Total	244,864

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Nat
			Lib

Rich (BB code):
	CA-05		
	Lib          	107,814   	35.3%
	Prog          	103,136   	33.8%
	Nat          	51,892    	17%
	Fus          	22,196    	7.3%
	All          	20,014    	6.6%

Total	305,052

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

Rich (BB code):
	CA-16		
	Lib          	54,827    	32.3%
	Nat          	47,806    	28.1%
	Prog          	43,677    	25.7%
	Fus          	14,007    	8.2%
	All          	9,647     	5.7%

Total	169,964

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Nat
			Prog

"The twenty-third, fifth and sixteenth districts. Respectively, these are a rural part of the Sierra Nevada - it was the most Republican district in California under the old system - a wine country region to the north and east of San Francisco that was more left-leaning - and another leftish one in the middle of the state. Here, again only three parties seem to be in contention, with the Nationals boosted by capturing most of the right-wing vote, and otherwise some fairly tight races to be the left standardbearer between the Liberals and Progressives, with the former edging it out."

"Speaking of several results coming in at once, we also have the final two districts for Texas..."

Rich (BB code):
	TX-17		
	Cst          	63,731    	25.7%
	Lib          	61,036    	24.6%
	Con          	40,818    	16.5%
	Prog          	35,120    	14.2%
	Nat          	34,866    	14.1%
	All          	12,054    	4.9%
	Fus          	0         	0%

Total	247,625

MCs elected:		
			Cst
			Lib
			Con

Rich (BB code):
	TX-19		
	Cst          	77,061    	33.8%
	Con          	48,792    	21.4%
	Nat          	39,532    	17.3%
	Lib          	31,974    	14%
	Prog          	21,545    	9.4%
	All          	9,105     	4%

Total	228,008

MCs elected:		
			Cst
			Con
			Nat

"These last two were both considered pretty right-wing, although the Liberals pulled out a seat in the first one. The first includes former President George W. Bush's old ranch, and the second has Buddy Holly's home town of Lubbock."

Somewhere far below, that clanking, bashing sound intensified.

"Yes, I wonder what's happened to George W. Bush...well, based on what we've seen elsewhere, I suspect these might be the final seats won by the Conservative Party tonight. And if we look at the current numbers, they remain behind the Constitution Party, 112 seats to 125."

"Yes, the appeal of the Constitution Party in Texas, Mr Cruz's home state, has made a difference, as has its wins in states like Kansas and Oklahoma. But who has won the popular vote across the huge state of Texas and its two top-up seats?"

Rich (BB code):
	Texas at-large		
	Lib          	2,601,921 	29.2%
	Cst          	2,053,436 	23%
	Con          	1,373,837 	15.4%
	Prog          	1,275,947 	14.3%
	Nat          	1,257,774 	14.1%
	All          	355,050   	4%

Total	8,917,965

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Lib

"Well, despite that Constitution Party success, they could not overtake the Liberals."

Texas.png

"Yes, Texas goes blue. And if we look at the national map..."

Top-up seats 1d.png

"Texas goes blue, yes, along with every state along the southern coast and Mexican border of the US, except New Mexico - which was, ironically, the only one of those states that was considered a reliable win for the old Democrats!"

"Just showing how much things have changed."

The clanking was now very loud.

"It will be interesting to see how Mr Cruz reacts to this mixed result for his party. Emily, are you outside Ted Cruz's house with a boombox?"

The screen flashed on to show Emily Maitlis sat atop a JVC RC-M90, looking confused. "Well, I thought I was, Andrew, but Ted Cruz seems to have disappeared. Any idea where he is?"

The door beside the screen abruptly burst open and the titular Texan textualist Geordi La Forge-rolled through it, eyes wild and staring frantically around. "He'll never find me here!" he bit out.

"Ah, Mr Cruz. Would you care to offer us your views on the performance of your Constitution Party in-"

"Can it, you limey jerk!" said Cruz, whose dialogue mysteriously suddenly seemed written by a radio comedy from the 1940s. "I need to escape! Cancún, that's the place! Say goodbye to Ted Cruz and hello to...what's a Mexican-sounding name?"

"'Cruz'?" Katty Kay suggested in a deadpan tone.

Cruz snapped his fingers. "That's it! No more Ted Cruz - from now on it's Eduardo Cruz! I'll even grow a beard or something!"

"Oh come on, don't be ridiculous," Neil said. "Now, Mr Cruz."

Very, very loud clanking sounds.

Cruz stared around himself, wild-eyed. "Shhh! Quiet down and he might miss the door! You don't know what he's capable of-"

A shadow loomed through the door.

"Too late!" Cruz moaned.

At first the silhouette seemed merely heavyset, but as the shadow contracted and it became clear that the size was no trick of the light, the mind struggled to comprehend the massive figure. The doorway itself was broken out of the wall as two huge, green-tinted fists clenched to obliterate its structure. Cruz cowered before the BBC presenters, his legs collapsing from under him.

"Wait, is that...?" Jeremy Vine wondered.

The figure finally emerged into the light, eyes flashing with radioactive fury behind their glasses. "JEB! SMASH PUNY CANUCK!" roared The Exclamable Bush.

"Nooo..." Cruz began, gulping. "Listen, I'm sorry..."

"HUMANS TAKE EVERYTHING FROM JEB! TAKE HOME STATE! TAKE PARTY! TAKE REPUTATION! NOW JEB! GET HIS REVENGE!"

As the green giant roared, the US map on the screen next to Jeremy Vine briefly and mysteriously flickered to show every state coloured in yellow.

"No, no," Cruz gabbled. "Listen, listen, sun's going down, sun's going down..."

The huge figure paused, wobbling on his feet. "You're trying to make me low-energy," he said, his voice fading in volume slightly as his muscles shrank. The green tint to his skin also faded. "You..."

"Yes!" Cruz said eagerly. "Sun's going down..."

Jeb! blinked, his ragged trousers somehow clinging to his legs. "But you wouldn't like me when I'm low-energy."

Now ordinary-sized, Jeb! reached into his pocket and withdrew a pistol engraved with his own name - the BBC presenters instantly all took cover. "I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is 'America', the most personalised handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?"

Cruz bit his lip. "Don't you think this is kind of an overdone film reference-"

"THE VILLAIN IN DIRTY HARRY WAS AN OBVIOUS REVENGE-FANTASY WISH-FULFILMENT STAND-IN FOR THE ZODIAC KILLER THAT'S THE JOKE YOU MORON!" Jeb! screamed, raising the gun. "PLEASE DIE!"

"No!" Cruz threw his toque at Jeb!'s hand and his aim was thrown slightly off as fire burst from the gun. A bullet whined overhead.

As the gun clicked uselessly in Jeb!'s hand, all other eyes in the room turned towards the desk, where one presenter had been a little too late in taking cover. A red stain was slowly spreading across Andrew Neil's shirt.

He stared down at it. "Ach, crivvens," he muttered. "That'll ne'er wash out."

He slumped forward.

This talk about state-level results almost makes me want to try some maps of state elections in this setting. Could also dust off my one legally permitted Parliamentary America TL, too.
That would be cool - I'm not sure if the figures you would need (all of them) exist for state legislatures though - they might for some. I'll wait till I've finished before giving more details.

That would be cool - I'm not sure if the figures you would need (all of them) exist for state legislatures though - they might for some. I'll wait till I've finished before giving more details.
There's only one way to find out, I suppose.

those racist Pennsylvanians and Jersey reality show
I wonder what my district would be painted as if Tim Murphy is still a representative/mp in ttl, as the district was an economically depressed district filled with people who voted democratic until Clinton (when the district voted against Obama twice iirc and the area is filled with suburbs) in 2018.

39 inc complete AZ NV UT map
Blackness.

Blackness, and distant music, tinny and echoing.

Andrew Neil opened his eyes. After a frown and a moment's thought, he identified the tune as Rick Wakeman's "Arthur".

Unconsciously, he looked down at his shirt, to find it untouched. However, everything seemed to be in shades of grey, with no colour to it. "Hmm..." he muttered to himself, slowly clambering to his feet.

The - room? - was like an early 1980s idea of a multimedia museum experience, all blackness with occasional lights in the dark and colourless images floating in them. Slowly walking in no particular direction, he saw a clip of John Snagge talking about the abolition of the university seats, then Alistair Cooke commenting on the Nixon-Kennedy debate, then someone calling in to ask for a closer look at all the attractive women staffing the telephone exchange that brought all the results in, only for the presenters to oblige. Anthony Eden being asked if he wanted to begin the interview with his considerable foreign policy expertise. Nixon holding puppy on his porch. Maps of both US and UK elections, carefully designed with light and dark shades or stripes so that they could be discerned on black-and-white televisions.

"Where am I?" he muttered. Not an original line, but an apt one. "When am I?"

The darkness slowly began to fade as he approached a larger, more brightly-lit, diorama which resolved itself into a huge studio. The colour slowly began to return as well, but it was still washed out, standard definition, pre-Trinitron. The lack of colour was not helped by the beige colouration of the set itself, interrupted only by the red and blue, incredibly bulgy Bauhaus text reading 'Decision 79' and matching portraits of Jim Callaghan and Margaret Thatcher.

"Oh no," Neil muttered. "'My name is Andrew Neil, I've just been shot, and that bullet has sent me back to 1979. Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time...?' No, come on, we're not doing the Life on Mars stroke Ashes to Ashes parody, it's been done a million times before, I literally can't think of a more overdone reference, let's do something else."

He was tapped on the shoulder by a terrifyingly young David Dimbleby. "Andrew Neil, I am the Ghost of Election Nights Past."

"I stand corrected," Neil grunted. "Come on, it's two months to Christmas, nearly. What are you, a retail outlet?"

"I said, I am the Ghost of Election Nights Past..."

"Not very much past, though, are you?" Neil complained. "I mean you still hosted Miliband beating Cameron last year, and I'm not convinced you're going to vacate the hot seat for the very uneventful following election which will doubtless take place in 2020."

"Shut up and listen. I'm going to show you the error of your ways, take you to the Economist offices, how you stayed there all night working instead of joining the staff in their insect-eating parties..."

"Look, let's just skip this bit, alright," Neil said, casually walking across the set in the middle of Robin Day talking about the Guildford declaration whilst smoking a giant cigar. "Let me see...ah!" He found a door.

On the other side, the view was reassuringly high-definition. "What will be David Miliband's reaction to the loss of Labour's control of Hartlepool Council," Huw Edwards was saying, "not only to the Conservatives but also to breakthroughs from the English Democrats. Clearly this will be the most dramatic political event of 2016..."

Edwards paused mid-sentence to meet Neil's gaze. "Oh, Andrew. I'm the Ghost of Election Nights Present, and I'm here to go and show you how Jeremy Vine is splitting just a single small by-election with his family, but still praising your generosity-"

"No," Neil said in his best Paxman impression, showing Edwards aside and walking straight on through the studio to another door. "Ah..."

He had expected the third room looked like either the inside of an iPod or the bridge of the USS Enterprise from the JJ Abrams Star Trek films. But instead, there was nothing futuristic or even faux-futuristic about this. The room was dark, the image quality poor, as though he had gone back in time, not forward. The equipment looked rather amateurishly set-up as well, and there seemed to be an awful lot of Union Jack imagery all over the desk and backdrop.

Neil paused, and for some reason, sat down at the desk. It was almost as if the seat had been prepared for him. He stared into the gently ticking camera and its light as though undergoing a Voigt-Kampff test. As he stared, a fuzzy screen flickered reluctantly into life, showing a stuttery, slow-to-update status live feed. At the bottom were the words 'VIEWERS: 0'. A temporary glitch, surely. But it refused to change.

"I..." he began.

A dark, cloaked figure loomed ominously beside him. "Hi, I'm Jack Kelly, an earnest young man from Youtube," said the earnest young man from Youtube. "And I'm also the Ghost of Election Nights Yet to Come."

"Spirit," Neil breathed. "What is this place?"

Kelly gestured dramatically around him. "This, Andrew Neil, is where you will end up, if you continue in your evil ways. Conned into signing off your broadcast career on this, trapping yourself in a box with Nigel Farage and-"

"Didn't Nigel Farage die in that plane crash six years ago?"

"I..." Kelly paused, then pulled an iPhone 20 out of his pocket, which lacked a headphone port, charging port, and indeed a screen; he had simply scratched a note onto its featureless case with a pencil. "Uh...sorry, I think we got the wrong timeline's Andrew Neil? Sorry for the mixup. You're probably OK then, just try not to fall out with the BBC like Jeremy Clarkson."

"What do you mean? I thought Top Gear series 23 was a return to form - well, maybe not that one episode where Richard and Jeremy strapped Martin Hughes-Games to a bomb unless he could build an airship within 24 hours to escape Alcatraz. That was a bit contrived."

"Uh...right," Kelly glanced at a note on another part of the inert iPhone case.

"So, can I go back now?" Neil asked. "I have an election night to finish."

"Oh...er..." Kelly looked out of his depth. "I suppose so. Don't tell management."

"I won't," Neil assured him, then walked out of the final door.

We're losing him...no, wait! That was a flicker!

Neil sat up in his chair, gasping, bandages covering his chest. "I..."

"Thank goodness you're all right," Katty Kay said, mopping his forehead with a handkerchief. "Thanks to these dedicated paramedics," she nodded to a crew of smiling carers, "they've pulled you back." She spoke sotto voce. "Now, are you still on good enough terms with Rupert Murdoch to get him to lend you seven hundred thousand pounds to pay the medical bill?"

"One thing at a time," Neil grunted. "Where are those damn results, Vine?"

"Coming, sir!"

Rich (BB code):
	OR-03		
	Prog          	168,949   	42.3%
	Lib          	113,397   	28.4%
	Nat          	53,844    	13.5%
	Fus          	35,834    	9%
	All          	27,179    	6.8%

Total	399,204

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Lib
			Prog

"This one takes in most of the city of Portland in Oregon, known for its quirky and freaky people, like Brighton except possibly with even more rain. Unsurprisingly it appears to now be a Progressive stronghold."

Rich (BB code):
	CA-17		
	Lib          	103,886   	41.8%
	Prog          	79,915    	32.1%
	Nat          	32,026    	12.9%
	Fus          	18,900    	7.6%
	All          	13,968    	5.6%

Total	248,695

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

"California's seventeenth district, in the southern part of the San Francisco metro area, around Santa Clara and the bay...one of the Liberals is the sitting Democratic representative, Ro Laren, who was the first Bajoran to be elected to Congress."

"Er, are you sure that Wikipedia article wasn't edited recently?"

Rich (BB code):
	WA-06		
	Prog          	124,978   	37.5%
	Nat          	104,108   	31.3%
	Lib          	47,618    	14.3%
	All          	28,947    	8.7%
	Fus          	27,341    	8.2%

Total	332,992

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Nat
			Prog

"And back to Washington state - this one is mostly the city of Tacoma, which is opposite Seatle across Puget Sound. This one was considered pretty Democratic before, and the Progressives have the lead, but look at how close the Nationals came! Not at all the sort of territory we would have expected them to do well in at the start of tonight, or even a little way in."

"Yes, this consolidation of the right on the Nationals - the Fusionists even came behind the Alliance here! - while the left remains split, it's definitely changing the political nature of what was called the Left Coast."

The camera panned across the studio to briefly reveal that a shaking Ted Cruz and Jeb Bush, both wearing Lone Star blankets and trembling, were being sternly lectured by Oprah Winfrey. However, it soon came back to the screen.

Rich (BB code):
	CA-09		
	Lib          	77,239    	32.4%
	Nat          	70,563    	29.6%
	Prog          	57,480    	24.1%
	Fus          	19,921    	8.4%
	All          	12,988    	5.5%

Total	238,191

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Nat
			Prog

"California's ninth district includes places like Oakland and Berkeley, which has way too many chemical elements named after it."

"Ytterby in Sweden is telling you to hold their beer."

"I - what, is that what the youth are saying nowadays? - er, anyway, it was a Democratic-leaning district with a substantial Republican minority, and that's reflected in the results here. Again, the consolidated right on the Nationals came close to topping the polls."

"Tell you what, let's have a map."

California 9results.png

"Phew, you weren't kidding, that's one heck of a big state! And plenty more results to come, too."

Rich (BB code):
	OR-01		
	Prog          	118,086   	30.9%
	Lib          	101,326   	26.5%
	Nat          	79,896    	20.9%
	Fus          	52,264    	13.7%
	All          	31,101    	8.1%

Total	382,673

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Lib
			Nat

"Oregon's first district takes in more of the surrounding metro area of Portland, and again the Progressives have beaten the Liberals, who seem to be having a similar lack of success in the Pacific Northwest as they did in most of New England, at the start of this remarkable election night."

"And perhaps there is a connection."

Rich (BB code):
	NV-02		
	Fus          	94,650    	29%
	Nat          	74,981    	23%
	Prog          	70,277    	21.6%
	Lib          	59,040    	18.1%
	All          	27,063    	8.3%

Total	326,011

MCs elected:		
			Fus
			Nat
			Prog

"Nevada's second district, in the far north of the state, taking in Reno, which is like Blackpool but in a desert. That's only the fourth - I think - district we've had where the Fusionists have actually topped the polls. Clearly the electoral alliance has not born the fruit these gentlemen hoped for," Kay nodded at the weeping Cruz and Bush, who were now exchanging freshly-baked cookies. "It's normally considered a right-leaning district, but the Progressives have pulled out another win in an unexpected areas."

Rich (BB code):
	CA-31		
	Lib          	74,198    	32.4%
	Nat          	63,916    	27.9%
	Prog          	57,762    	25.2%
	Fus          	19,785    	8.6%
	All          	13,164    	5.8%

Total	228,825

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Nat
			Prog

"California's thirty-first district is around San Bernardino, east of Los Angeles, in the area called the Inland Empire...tsch, someone's writing a letter to the Guardian...and again, the same three parties jockeying for position."

Rich (BB code):
	WA-07		
	Prog          	231,576   	55.7%
	Lib          	109,836   	26.4%
	Nat          	38,796    	9.3%
	All          	23,666    	5.7%
	Fus          	11,819    	2.8%

Total	415,693

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Prog
			Lib

"And with this we finally get the Washington district that takes in most of Seattle itself, with a huge win for the Progressives."

"Need we now therefore change it to 'hey baby I hear the greens are called, tossed salads and scrambled eggs'?"

"...no."

Rich (BB code):
	NV-01		
	Lib          	64,248    	32.6%
	Prog          	57,073    	29%
	Nat          	32,736    	16.6%
	Fus          	31,497    	16%
	All          	11,286    	5.7%

Total	196,840

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Nat

"But the Liberals pull it out, just, in Nevada's first district. This one takes in most of what we would consider Las Vegas, it's a tiny and compact district."

"Though interestingly, Las Vegas isn't actually Las Vegas."

"...is this one of those 'fascinating facts' like 'in China, amazingly, nobody actually eats Chinese food'?"

"No. The bit with all the casinos is technically called Paradise. Look it up."

"What, as in the Guns N' Roses so-"

"No."

Rich (BB code):
	CA-14		
	Lib          	131,664   	44.2%
	Prog          	97,344    	32.7%
	Nat          	37,261    	12.5%
	Fus          	16,968    	5.7%
	All          	14,506    	4.9%

Total	297,743

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

"This one is the area south of San Francisco proper along the coast, and yes, we'll be seeing a lot of similar districts in California like this I suspect, with big wins for the left and the Liberals outpolling the Progressives, but the latter still getting a seat. Not even the Californian united right we've seen can get in range in a seat like this."

Rich (BB code):
	NV-04		
	Lib          	80,412    	29%
	Nat          	63,640    	23%
	Fus          	59,740    	21.6%
	Prog          	56,658    	20.5%
	All          	16,482    	6%

Total	276,932

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Nat
			Fus

"And that's the last Nevada seat. I think I actually read out this description for the third, by accident, which is the one south of Las Vegas-"

"Oh, you're calling it Las Vegas now..."

"Shut up...whereas this is the large one north of it. Both have spillover from the city and that accounts for a lot of their voters. Quite a mixed result here, with the Progressives only just behind the Fusionists in the race for the third seat. What will the statewide results look like..."

Rich (BB code):
	Nevada		
	Lib          	283,560   	25.2%
	Fus          	261,801   	23.3%
	Prog          	255,700   	22.7%
	Nat          	250,257   	22.2%
	All          	74,067    	6.6%

Total	1,125,385

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Lib

"Very close between the top four parties, and I think the closest the Fusionists have come to taking top-up seats under that banner, but no, it's yet another plurality win for the Liberals. And with that, those three states are now complete..."

Nevada Utah Arizona.png

Five states left to finish, I see!

Having given some thought to how some states might work this system (because it simply isn't America if every state does the same thing), I wonder if, say, Illinois might go back to its pre-1982 state house system where each district had three members chosen by bloc vote, but no party could run more than two candidates in a district.

North Carolina, I believe, has a provision that counties cannot be split while drawing districts, which might become enforceable now, leading to larger (and thus more proportional) multi-member districts.

The smaller New Englandey states might do it proportionally by county, especially Vermont, but I'm sure New Hampshire would find some way to make everything worse and more complicated.

And, of course, I imagine most states would just use their state senate districts with three members each.

Back