• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AMERICA DIVIDES: The Multi-Party US Election of 2016

Also, the other reason I always say I do these election night TLs is I usually do it right before a real election, and it's a good way to re-familiarise myself (and the readers) with the layout of the constituencies to help me keep track of the real election night.

Except, obviously, this time I decided to do a US election RIGHT BEFORE THEY CHANGE ALL THE DISTRICTS, so that made sense.

Now you can't just compare the primary votes, because the way the parties and states organise the primaries are different - open vs closed primary, caucus, etc. - which means the votes actually cast can be wildly different and/or not even recorded. But what they do consistently record is percentages. Therefore, what I did was to take the number of raw votes cast for Clinton or Trump on general election day 2016 in each district, and then split it into 2 or 3 groups based on the percentages cast in the primary.

That's what I suspected was going on! Great work Thande. Shame there aren't really any other elections this model would work for - 1976 comes to mind but I imagined the data would be a little harder to find.

This is almost certainly me talking out my own arse, but I think you can connect the three "An Election Night's Dream" TLs' horror-humor ratios together with their framing devices quite neatly:
  • Partying Lite It's 1999 was a nightmare of William Hague's, created by a mysterious being that was feeding on despair. Just like a nightmare, it fluctuated between surreal horror and surreal humour, and ended on a more humourous note to provide Hauge with the necessary hope that he might win in 2001--a hope that was obviously dashed.
  • The Kippery Slope was a dream of Nigel Farage's, brought on by brain damage from a falling TV and/or a mysterious bookie. Hence the surreal horror bits slowly rose to the surface as his condition improved, his mind rejecting the false reality with its magical pint-glass and trying to wake itself with the wrongness of the situation.
  • AMERICA DIVIDES is just a normal, non-trauma-induced, non-SOMETHING-directed, dream Joe Biden had thanks to a hot afternoon (I think. Maybe.) As such, there was basically no horror this time--just light-hearted gags all the way through. Which, considering the state of American politics, is probably for the best.
A cracking TL, well-written and very well-mapped (I'm getting nauseous just looking at that map of California). Nice one.

That's what I suspected was going on! Great work Thande. Shame there aren't really any other elections this model would work for - 1976 comes to mind but I imagined the data would be a little harder to find.

Yeah, the primary system wasn't quite as ironed out on either side. I think it'd be very possible to do stuff with state-level primaries, though! Just takes some research to put people in various camps (and maybe correct for local favoritism if that's needed).

Very good work on this, @Thande! Some states are awkward, but that's the problem with using primaries.

It's really a shame that the differed schedule primaries mean that most of them end up cut short when a winner emerges and we don't get that sweet sweet data.
As I always complain about, what really bites my hat is that California usually comes quite late on in the process so the votes of more than 1/10th of the country usually don't matter in any way.

Liberal nationwide seat map
Anyway, now this has finished I'll sporadically post some additional maps. Firstly, these ones are ones that show the number of seats won by the parties in each district to give a rough idea of party strength. I may do pure percentage maps as well at some point, but that'll probably need a new scale.

Firstly, the Liberals.

Seats - Liberal.png

Anyway, now this has finished I'll sporadically post some additional maps. Firstly, these ones are ones that show the number of seats won by the parties in each district to give a rough idea of party strength. I may do pure percentage maps as well at some point, but that'll probably need a new scale.

Firstly, the Liberals.

View attachment 61136
The Solid South is back again.

Back