• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

JFK meets Mayor of Baltimore Thomas D'Alesandro Jr.'s 20-year-old daughter Nancy, who definitely won't grow up to be their political party's de facto leader someday, at his inaugural ball:

PelosiKennedy.jpeg

cross-sun-moon-6.jpg

i've always found it pretty oddly interesting how common personifications of the sun and moon (that too, extremely resembling conventional depictions of pagan sun and moon gods/goddesses) are featured on medieval depictions of jesus's crucifixion. looks as if it's from a world in which jesus was integrated into a polytheistic pantheon

christ-helios.jpg

additionally this mosaic, originally of the greco-roman deity helios (located in the vatican). apparently it was reinterpreted as being christ.

personally disagree with christ myth theory (it's entirely fantastical) but it is very interesting seeing this kind of imagery and makes me wonder what would've happened if christ was somehow interpreted as a roman deity

Last edited:
personally disagree with christ myth theory (it's entirely fantastical) but it is very interesting seeing this kind of imagery and makes me wonder what would've happened if christ was somehow interpreted as a roman deity

Ireneus of Lyons; Against Heretics said:
From among these [Carpocrates]also arose Marcellina, who came to Rome under [the episcopate of] Anicetus, and, holding these doctrines, she led multitudes astray. They style themselves Gnostics. They also possess images, some of them painted, and others formed from different kinds ofmaterial; while they maintain that a likeness of Christ was made by Pilate at that time when Jesus lived among them. They crown these images, and set them up along with the images of the philosophers of the world that is to say, with the images of Pythagoras, and Plato, and Aristotle, and the rest. They have also other modes of honouring these images, after the same manner of the Gentiles

I can imagine Western religious art from the Renaissance onward ditching the medieval representations of Jesus as, essentially, a Merovingian king (long hair and all) and going the Michelangelo route of depicting him as a buff, clean-shaven Apollo lookalike. If it was good enough for the Sistine Chapel it should be good enough for Christendom as a whole.

Christ-the-Judge-Michelange.jpg

1701248827376.png

1701248961693.png

Scenes from the People's Temperance Republic of Fierbinți,where the National Bolshevik Prohibitionist Party has taken over.

Its leader,Vasile Breșcan,is seen here planning to conquer Bărăgan in the first stage of 'freeing' people from the imperialist alchoolists.

President Nelu Curcă has called a state of emergency to deal with Breșcan as well as other insurrectionists,such as the local barons of the county of Dărmata or the ones led by Ghiță Spagoveanu in Iași.

Back