• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

Meadow

The 2024 General Election (2025)
Administrator
Sea Lion Press staff
Published by SLP
Pronouns
he/him
A fine idea for a thread on the other place, I thought we had one here but the search found nothing.

1680180230240.png

"The initial successes of Operation Unimaginable gave way to the same mud and ice that had slowed Heidler just four years prior. Propaganda visits from the Stuart and Bourbon monarchs proved unable to rally the increasingly restless Entente armies, and the clarion call of Makhno's deftly-written pamphlets and speeches would eventually render the situation impossible. The Odessa Mutiny was initially dismissed in London, Paris and Jefferson, but within a month, it would have put Charles IX in the same company as the first of his name..."

Re-run some of the classics:

3462.jpg

A fine idea for a thread on the other place, I thought we had one here but the search found nothing.

View attachment 67385

"The initial successes of Operation Unimaginable gave way to the same mud and ice that had slowed Heidler just four years prior. Propaganda visits from the Stuart and Bourbon monarchs proved unable to rally the increasingly restless Entente armies, and the clarion call of Makhno's deftly-written pamphlets and speeches would eventually render the situation impossible. The Odessa Mutiny was initially dismissed in London, Paris and Jefferson, but within a month, it would have put Charles IX in the same company as the first of his name..."

I genuinly had this thought today while reading this!

1680198387667.png

White guys with a Confederate battle-flag who aren't just far-left but in a coalition with the Black Panthers of all things

As I recall from reading up on them a while back, there was an implicit understanding from the Black Panthers leadership that the Confederate flag was a "symbol of white working class identity" or something such; very weird!

I genuinely had this thought today while reading this!

View attachment 67393

As I recall from reading up on them a while back, there was an implicit understanding from the Black Panthers leadership that the Confederate flag was a "symbol of white working class identity" or something such; very weird!
Yes, it is fascinating watching him speak German: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-65118773 His accent is passable and I do hope it will do a little in rebalancing the aversion to learning languages that so many Britons, even in the upper classes, have these days.

Apparently his father was fluent in the language, though having been part of the Greek royal family imported from Denmark, I guess multi-lingualism went with the 'job'. I know Queen Victoria spoke German with family members even when in Britain, and in theory Charles could reclaim the chunk of Germany which was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and have some claim on Han[n]over too.

An obvious one, but German occupation of the Channel Islands provides alternate historians with nice illustrative material:

There was a 90s Doctor Who book set there, with the blurb including: "The Nazis occupy British soil and British citizens are being deported to European concentration camps... this isn't a parallel universe, it isn't an alternate timeline; and everything is running according to schedule."

That time two Bantustans went to war with each other, which reads like an entry someone wrote in a timeline because they just wanted something more interesting in South Africa than year, and couldn't be bothered to find out what could have occurred
Screenshot_20230331_083855_Chrome.jpg

Back