• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

From Stack Exchange' English Language site it seems that Norfolk dilect might still use shew.

Is that not different though? I thought the archaicism was using 'shew' for 'show' itself, not using 'shew' as the past tense of 'show'.

Is that not different though? I thought the archaicism was using 'shew' for 'show' itself, not using 'shew' as the past tense of 'show'.
Some of the answers and comments there do refer to the present tense use of shew, although I agree they are not dated as definitely as the past tense useage.

Also using shew as the past tense is also an archaicism.

Kekvnh2.png

Not in shocklingly good taste and apologies if its already been posted but this from Tennessee's referendum to officially ban all forms of indentured servitude in the state constitution looks like its from a particularly grim/lazy CSA TL.

The United States Coast Guard flag just screams AH, especially in a non-obviously-naval context. This photo from 1986 is a great example, the WTC still being there also (sadly) lends an element of a changed, or at least vanished world.

index.php
A flag probably based on this was used in the TV series Jericho, which might well be honorary alternate history by now.

View attachment 75693

America's first Chinese-American on a major Presidential ticket, Senator Xi Jinping (D-IA) remains popular in his home state despite spending most of the last three years globetrotting as President Lagarde's de facto foreign policy spokesman...
I prefer former Sino-Soviet War refugee Senator Jim Xi (Libertarian-AK) but that also works :)

Back