• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

Today (or yesterday) I learned that there are 1930s Chinese language covers of the Stephen Foster classics such as "O Susannah", with the place names suitably changed to Chinese ones.

An early Kuomintang anthem from the Northern Expedition was about destroying warlords and imperialism - set to the tune of Frère Jacques.

I'd also be remiss not to mention the multitude of patriotic songs by the Korean independence movement set to foreign anthems and songs, like the Deutschlandlied and Marching Through Georgia. Even the Republic of Korea's national anthem was originally set to Auld Lang Syne, before they soon got a Korean composer to write a new melody.

I read in a book that when the Portuguese ships finally got to what is now Indonesia, they were stunned to find people who could speak to them in Spanish.

The latter were moriscos who had been expelled for Spain for being Muslim and had made their way to Indonesia via the Indian Ocean trade.
What is the book?
BTW, the Spaniards were likewise surprised to find Muslims in the Philippines. It meant that Islam had spread much further than they thought.

1024px-Emblem_of_the_Byelorussian_SSR_%281927-1937%29.svg.png

Until 1938 the seal of the Belarusian SSR had part of its writing in Yiddish.

One I just discovered... in 2003/2004 the video game "Command and Conquer: Generals" introduced an anti-aircraft unit called the Avenger, based on the actual Avenger vehicle used by the US Army, but using lasers rather than Stinger missiles. Obviously way futuristic...except Boeing put lasers on an actual Avenger only a few years later: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Laser_Avenger

Back