• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Kimkatya in: The Thread That Wouldn't Die

This reminds me of a time when an Australian centrist tried to claim that the Republicans and the Francoists were morally equivalent and then got completely clowned on.
“both sides did war crimes” is functionally the only argument for that and in that case hoo boy buddy do i got bad news about the rest of the planet earth

The reason why I think Reaganite "stab in the back" myth about Vietnam is stupid is that the American Army used very high tech weapons, and every atrocity under the sun, and still lost.
While the Rice Farmers guerillas were the Viet Cong, the NVA itself was very competent at fighting, and had loads of experience in fighting the Japanese in ww2 and the French after that.

The reason why I think Reaganite "stab in the back" myth about Vietnam is stupid is that the American Army used very high tech weapons, and every atrocity under the sun, and still lost.
While the Rice Farmers guerillas were the Viet Cong, the NVA itself was very competent at fighting, and had loads of experience in fighting the Japanese in ww2 and the French after that.
im drunk but i think a big relevant aspect is that south vietnam was barely a state. the nva and the vietcong had loyalty, andsomething to rally around. meanwhile, since a fair chuck of the fighting in south vietnam was being done by the americans directly, no one in south vietnam had any particular loyalty to the republic. rather just usually not wanting to die.

but believe me if you keep bombing hanoi theyll surrender and everything will be fine and youll have foiled CHINA who the vietcong are definitely obviously very close to

@Kimkatya So you mentioned a podcast called Tech Won't Save Us which I frequently listen to, and you mentioned it at one point. And I almost had a heart attack today when it guested Dean Preston (who has bad housing takes) out of all goddamn people, but luckily it seems to steer clear of talking about housing save for mentioning how the CEO of Salesforce was the only major ceo guy in favor of a ballot measure for having a tax to house the homeless, and focused mostly on things like Robotaxis causing havoc, twitter getting tax breaks and currying favor and stuff, and doofuses like Peter Theil being behind the tough on crime schtick.

Wish he invited someone else to discuss this, but it's probably the least worse outcome here.

Anyways, do you like the podcast?

Last edited:
@Kimkatya So you mentioned a podcast called Tech Won't Save Us which I frequently listen to, and you mentioned it at one point. And I almost had a heart attack today when it guested Dean Preston (who has bad housing takes) out of all goddamn people, but luckily it seems to steer clear of talking about housing save for mentioning how the CEO of Salesforce was the only major ceo guy in favor of a ballot measure for having a tax to house the homeless, and focused mostly on things like Robotaxis causing havoc, twitter getting tax breaks and currying favor and stuff, and doofuses like Peter Theil being behind the tough on crime schtick.

Wish he invited someone else to discuss this, but it's probably the least worse outcome here.

Anyways, do you like the podcast?
honestly, sounds not entirely like my thing - my politics podcasts are a very limited set and i prefer comedy stuff anyway. sounds engaging though if you're up for that kind of thing.

Back