• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

If those who had died in "their time" had lived longer (if Oscar Wilde had seen WWI and other ideas)

If there'd been no Munich Air Crash.If boxers Les Darcy.and Stanley Ketchel had lived on.If Buddy Holly's plane hadn't crashed. James Dean, Jean Harlow, Marilyn Monroe , Janis Joplin, JimI HendriX, Alma Cogan, Richard Beckinsale, John Lennon...
Hank.Williams, Christopher Marlowe, Byron, Kents, Shelley..

I'm missing something aren't I?
Yes. Something quite important.

If you haven't done so, read @David Flin's superb Down South in Service of the Queen. Specifically chapter the eighth. For further information, see the surname of one of SLP's two youngest authors, both of whom live in Davd's house.

We have reached levels of Sule hitherto thought completely impossible outside of laboratory or parody conditions.

Yes. Something quite important.

If you haven't done so, read @David Flin's superb Down South in Service of the Queen. Specifically chapter the eighth. For further information, see the surname of one of SLP's two youngest authors, both of whom live in Davd's house.

We have reached levels of Sule hitherto thought completely impossible outside of laboratory or parody conditions.

Oh.

Ooooooh!

My apologies to @David Flin I can be somewhat oblivious about some things.

This makes several things that hadn't made sense before make sense now.

No worries.

My clan can get complicated, because we tend to hang on to original names. Thus, in the household (and discounting the kind-of adopted members), we have Flin, Williams, Brooks, and Flin-Williams. It's not worth committing to memory, because it's likely to change at a moment's notice, it seems.

Ah I see, that does makes sense. Thanks for explaining things to me :) .

If Bobby Kennedy survives into his 80s without becoming President, I think he would be much less romanticized. He was part of what would become the neoliberal trend of the 1960s, which would alienate a lot of the old style white working class supporters he once had, while assuming his personality is somewhat similar, his rather strident Catholicism (as opposed to those of his brothers) would be seen as an increasing anachronism to the more secular types.

If Bobby Kennedy survives into his 80s without becoming President, I think he would be much less romanticized. He was part of what would become the neoliberal trend of the 1960s, which would alienate a lot of the old style white working class supporters he once had, while assuming his personality is somewhat similar, his rather strident Catholicism (as opposed to those of his brothers) would be seen as an increasing anachronism to the more secular types.

I dunno, his significantly less talented younger brother managed to be a Liberal Lion (TM) in the Senate til 2009 and got away with literally murder, so the idea that Bobby Kennedy is just gonna sorta become irrelevant if he lives past 42 seems a bit dubious.

I honestly think Bobby Kennedy might be more famous if he hadn't been assassinated. IOTL his assassination has been totally overshadowed by his brother's in historiography and I doubt most American millennials have even heard of or know much about him. Give him a political career as long as Ted Kennedy and he'd probably be better known.

I don't agree with this. There's not really anything to show that Bobby was a neoliberal. His 1968 campaign platform outflanked both Johnson and McCarthy from the left and he's probably one of the last politicians to effectively win over black voters and white working class voters simultaneously in a political primary. And, although he was personally religious, he has a pretty massive secular streak from both before and during his time in governance. I don't think he'd be the kind to let his personal religious beliefs openly influence political policy, if not at the very least out of fear of biting at his base.

In the original star trek Gene Coon was involved in the production of the show.
He dies around 73 before fandom took of in a big way had he been around in the 80s he would of been known more widely among people and of worked on the next generation.

When you read the war poets, it is sobering to reflect on how young they were when they died. Rupert Brooke should have survived to at least 1966 (randomly chosen because Jocelyn Brooke died that year) and Charles Hamilton Sorley should have reached the 1970s, possibly even the early 1980s.

When you read the war poets, it is sobering to reflect on how young they were when they died. Rupert Brooke should have survived to at least 1966 (randomly chosen because Jocelyn Brooke died that year) and Charles Hamilton Sorley should have reached the 1970s, possibly even the early 1980s.

Given Rupert Brooke's age and Establishment connections via his father, a housemaster at Rugby School, and his pre-WW 1 cultural patrons in the Asquith circle, eg Eddie Marsh, I could see him as a potential Poet Laureate after Robert Bridges in 1930 had he survived - and living as long as the OTL Poet Laureate, John Masefield, who died in 1967. As long as he did not get too disillusioned with the loss of lives in the War or the hedonism of the 1920s and head back to the Pacific as a 'drop-out' cultural loner in the mould of Robert Louis Stevenson, he could have profited job-wise from his many connections well into the 1940s and 1950s. Two potential ones:
1. His pre-WW 1 involvement with the Olivier family, especially the girls ,which would bring him into the world of their actor cousin Laurence and films.
2. His friendship at Cambridge with future leading Labour Party thinker and politician Hugh Dalton, who was to end up as Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1945-7. A way to a seat as a Labour MP for him if his vague left-wing leanings of the early 1910s matured into an involvement in Labour politics? Given Dalton's interest in rambling and 'open access' to landowners' property for walkers and in the future of the countryside in the 1930s-40s, the post-WW 2 Labour involvement with the National Parks scheme and Town and Country Planning ministry could be put under 'veteran campaigner Lord Brooke of Grantchester' in 1945 not Lewis Silkin.

Rough, somewhat random idea, courtesy of my PhD work of late revolving around the American Civil War: What if Stephen Crane had survived (or never suffered) the pulmonary health problems that led to his death in 1900, at age 28? Would he have lived long enough to observe the Western Front as a journalist, and how would this have impacted him compared to his experiences in Greece and Cuba? How would it have affected his writing style? Would being brought face-to-face with modern war cause him to change his attitude toward his earlier Red Badge of Courage (written without any battle experience), maybe even coming to despise it?

Also have an image of Crane crossing paths at some point on the Western Front with a still-living Ambrose Bierce, who was one of his harshest critics after Red Badge was published. How might their attitudes towards each other change, having witnessed the horrors of WWI?

I don't think he'd be the kind to let his personal religious beliefs openly influence political policy, if not at the very least out of fear of biting at his base.

A whole swathe of people denounced abortion in the early seventies when it first emerged as a big issue, from Ted Kennedy to Jesse Jackson, and then later came to an accommodation on the issue. I guess RFK could become a Bob Casey or David Alton figure and ruin his national standing but that doesn't strike me as a very RFK thing nor a very Kennedy thing.

A whole swathe of people denounced abortion in the early seventies when it first emerged as a big issue, from Ted Kennedy to Jesse Jackson, and then later came to an accommodation on the issue. I guess RFK could become a Bob Casey or David Alton figure and ruin his national standing but that doesn't strike me as a very RFK thing nor a very Kennedy thing.

I don't think doing what Teddy did would be all too unlikely considering how he just went "Oh I just don't like it but it should be legal" by the end of it.

Back