• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Ireland's of the 20th century

Artaxerxes

Senshi sautés seashells by the seashore
So Michael Collins avoids a bullet to the brain, the Easter Rising doesn't go ahead or is squashed slightly less brutally. The British Government sees the writing on the wall and pushes through dominion status more efficiently rather than seeing it as the death knell of empire.

Norn is slightly less religiously mental at any point.

Post your ideas for alternative emerald Isles here.

I've always been interested in the idea that without the executions that the Easter Uprising would have continued to be despised on by the people of Dublin. With that in hand because say, the leaders receive a fair trial before they're hung, Ireland could see the same effect that WWI had on Scotland and Wales, creating a sense of greater unity within the UK.

I've always been interested in the idea that without the executions that the Easter Uprising would have continued to be despised on by the people of Dublin. With that in hand because say, the leaders receive a fair trial before they're hung, Ireland could see the same effect that WWI had on Scotland and Wales, creating a sense of greater unity within the UK.

There was still a strong desire for Home Rule, but I think the possibility of 'Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland as constituent parts of the UK' is there. Norn would be the really disfunctional one methinks, though possibly less so if the Catholics are merely in a 'maybe we could have an all-Ireland unit' rather than 'we want independence.'

Home rule for Scotland in the 20s or 30s feels like something that may well happen here. Wales possibly at the same time (though quite possibly sans Monmouthshire, which would be historic Monmouthshire so include Newport).

Been drawn to similar ideas myself, though you'd have to further avoid the conscription crisis. Perhaps dust off that idea of having Irish volunteers in the French army.

There was still a strong desire for Home Rule, but I think the possibility of 'Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland as constituent parts of the UK' is there. Norn would be the really disfunctional one methinks, though possibly less so if the Catholics are merely in a 'maybe we could have an all-Ireland unit' rather than 'we want independence.'

Home rule for Scotland in the 20s or 30s feels like something that may well happen here. Wales possibly at the same time (though quite possibly sans Monmouthshire, which would be historic Monmouthshire so include Newport).

Perhaps in this timeline we might see a 4 county (unsustainable) or 9 county (more Catholic) Northern Ireland if the road to Home Rule goes differently, with the intention to set up unification later. Not that it necessarily happen.

One thing that always attracts me to this idea is the knock-on effect of no Irish War of Independence on the rest of the UK in 1919. If there is no conflict things like the Kinmel Park Riots, the Battle of George Square, the police strikes, and the swathes of 'masterless men' in the country will remain at the forefront of attention. All that without the possibility of a separate conflict kicking off in *Norn. Without the World War kicking off when if did the UK might have been heading for a civil war; without the Irish War of Independence that possibility might return.

Turning back to the question of Ireland though, I believe in the old country @Ares96 did a map of an Ireland that took the idea of Home Rule and carried it forward to the present day where the Irish politics are dominated by the IPP's successor. I think Home Rule for Scotland would follow at some point in the 1920s if the shit has not entirely hit the fan, does raise the amusing idea that there is a microparty standing in *Northern Ireland calling for the province to be incorporated into Scotland rather than united with the rest of Ireland.

No United Irishmen in the 1790s; Grattan's parliament evolves into home rule naturally throughout the 19th century; in the 20th century, First Minister Ian Paisley and his deputy Mary McAleese of the Irish National Party are heading up an unsuccessful indepence campaign, opposed by the Unionist leader Gerald Adams.

Has Corbis photographs and Wikiboxes.

Turning back to the question of Ireland though, I believe in the old country @Ares96 did a map of an Ireland that took the idea of Home Rule and carried it forward to the present day where the Irish politics are dominated by the IPP's successor. I think Home Rule for Scotland would follow at some point in the 1920s if the shit has not entirely hit the fan, does raise the amusing idea that there is a microparty standing in *Northern Ireland calling for the province to be incorporated into Scotland rather than united with the rest of Ireland.
That was a joint project by me and @Nanwe, revolving around the introduction of home rule all round combined with STV. He came up with the concept and did a lot of the political grunt work, so he deserves at least equal credit.

One of the things that the Easter Raising did was essentially obliterate the Left Wing of the Irish Nationalists since several of the leaders were killed by firing squad leaving Jim Larkin the remaining true Leftist voice in Irish Politics for a while.

A surviving James Connolly would have interesting effects on the Irish Left.

Also a surviving Michael Collins would have interesting effects on Irish politics, I could see him positioning himself as the rival De Verlera. Maybe we would avoid the 30 year rule of De Verlera and his Centre-Right monster party and maybe have a more healthy Democracy as a result.

It would of course require a nineteenth century POD, but I'd love to see a timeline where Parnell triumphs- a united Home Rule Ireland with a Protestant leader?
Intresting although Parnell was more in line with Tories political so that could lead to some problems during the 20th Century especially given how in the U.K., Universal suffrage wasn't achieved until 1918 so it could lead to some problems if Universal Suffrage isn't granted by per say 1920.

Also I could see laws being brought into to restrict the voting rights of most Catholics which could lead to other issues (1919 Irish Revolution? Possibly).

Last edited:
Work is in progress - some reveals may follow - but not just yet....
George, it seems like bad form to always just pop into say "My book will have [Insert Topic Here]" and not actually, you know, add to the discussion. I'm not trying to be mean but at the very least it would help sound out your own work and prevent anyone else wasting their own time by covering the same ground.

Last edited:
George, it seems like bad form to always just pop into say "My book will have [Insert Topic Here]" and not actually, you know, add to the discussion. I'm not trying to be mean but at the very least it would help sound out your own work and prevent anyone else wasting their own time by covering the same ground.
Point noted - but I have quoted plotlines before (not at SLP I hasten to add) and found them appropriated by others. In very general terms the Trilogy will describe an alternative history of Great Britain in the early 20th century if Ireland, Scotland and Wales had all mounted successful separatist uprisings.

As in @David Flin work with a delayed WW1 it does give good odds on Irish home rule.

It's probably a question of can you calm Sinn Fein down afterwards (oho said the fat controller) though and does anyone do something daft like the Easter rising. Though without ww1 the saner politicians have more influence still so won't find themselves cut off.

Jack Lynch dies during a hurling match when he was captain,leading to a different 1966 leadership race for Fianna Fáil and Lemass trying to find someone to enter the race and stop Haughey from talking over,as he was terrified of Charlie taking over the party.Alternatively,Lynch could just not run I guess.

Idk,originally I was gonna suggest “Charles Haughty becomes Prime Minister earlier and war breaks out with Britain in 1969”,but then I remembered Lemass so yeah.Also I don’t know if Lynch ever was in any danger of dying by accident as a hurling captain,but given how dangerous hurling is,I thought it might happen.

I was always think a longer Bonar Law premiership is an interesting one - he was a big fan of Ulster, notably signing up to the Covenant himself, but seemed less concerned about Home Rule per se than Ulster being governed from Dublin by a Catholic majority legislature. There was something IOTL where he pushed for the whole province of Ulster to be separated from Ireland, rather than what is now Northern Ireland.

I wonder if there's any way to avoid, or at least minimize the IRA split and have the Officials remain as the major Republican force in Ireland?

Unfortunately part of me thinks that they would eventually get drawn into a similar sectarian campaign as the Provisionals, though it's interesting to consider how a Marxist IRA concentrating on grass roots politics North and South develops if the worst of the Troubles could be avoided.

Back