• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

Got to the end with everyone's schemes revealed and Archer realising how much he was caught between everything, but the saddest reveal is
Harry Woods, the man who wouldn't back down and stop and had been a secret minor resistance man, turned into a collaborator to protect Archer's son without Archer knowing - which as I type I realise is likely a parallel of Archer brownnosing to get Harry's brother off a deportation order.
Deighton is a master of the flawed, well-meaning or even heroic character leading into tragedy, because the universe doesn't work the way you'd want it to, and your "good" qualities are as likely as your flaws to cause your downfall.
Its my favorite AH novel for a reason.

It's really brilliant. One of my earliest, along with the very different Times Without Number

What if Chernobyl was a near-miss instead of an explosion: IE, they still goose the reactor for the test and things start to look bad, but the scram works as designed and it's shut down successfully without spiraling out of control?
Those RBMK reactors had inherent limitations and Soviet safety culture was rather cavalier, so honestly, averting Chernobyl probably just delays a major nuclear accident in the territory of the USSR, and little more.
However, there could be major repercussions from not having the site of that accident be 1986-era Chernobyl. Perhaps without Chernobyl and the bungled response, people's faith in Gorbachev's leadership and his faith in his own cadres isn't shaken, and Glasnost takes a less radical turn. The fact that the accident happened in Ukraine and poisoned Ukrainian (and Belarusian) land also spurred localist sentiment- and maybe one happening in Russia would not.

What if Chernobyl was a near-miss instead of an explosion: IE, they still goose the reactor for the test and things start to look bad, but the scram works as designed and it's shut down successfully without spiraling out of control?
Those RBMK reactors had inherent limitations and Soviet safety culture was rather cavalier, so honestly, averting Chernobyl probably just delays a major nuclear accident in the territory of the USSR, and little more.
However, there could be major repercussions from not having the site of that accident be 1986-era Chernobyl. Perhaps without Chernobyl and the bungled response, people's faith in Gorbachev's leadership and his faith in his own cadres isn't shaken, and Glasnost takes a less radical turn. The fact that the accident happened in Ukraine and poisoned Ukrainian (and Belarusian) land also spurred localist sentiment- and maybe one happening in Russia would not.
Another question might be: what if Chernobyl had been worse? Serhii Plokhy makes mention of how there were fears that all the fuel in the reactor(s) would melt down, causing an extinction-level event from the radioactive spread. I don't recall if the amounts at the time could have led to such, but a greater/wider impact than OTL is certainly possible.

I also think there could be interesting implications of such an accident in a post-Soviet state.

Another question might be: what if Chernobyl had been worse? Serhii Plokhy makes mention of how there were fears that all the fuel in the reactor(s) would melt down, causing an extinction-level event from the radioactive spread. I don't recall if the amounts at the time could have led to such, but a greater/wider impact than OTL is certainly possible.
I think that the potential for "Europe glows in the dark"-level catastrophe was just an urban legend, but I'm sure that if more material had leaked and the wind had gone the wrong way, Kyiv might have been seriously damaged, say.

Least implausible (yes I know) 51st+ state that isn't Puerto Rico or DC and wouldn't made by splitting an existing state?
Possible necro-post, but the idea just occurred, so I felt like sharing:

If the U.S. had somehow managed to annex all of the Samoan islands in a different 1899 Tripartite Convention, and (less plausible) the population growth continued past OTL levels (250K in 2012), maybe there'd be a movement for/achievement of statehood by the present day?

I'm revisiting Turtledove's Southern Victory and while I think it suffers from a great many things (Turtledove's workmanlike prose, too many viewpoint characters, a bit too much reliance on OTL people where it doesn't make sense) Turtledove does a lot right. The dilemma of Featherston and the black artillerymen in the first book, the dramatic tension of the Red rising throughout, the banality of someone like Jefferson Pinkard... it's all honestly a good open to the series, against a backdrop that really does capture a mostly realistic WW1 on American soil. And he isn't doing lazy parallelism early on- large parts of each front's narratives are for lack of a better way of putting it, native to the place- I especially like the Creek Nation Army being forced into a suicide assault because of tribal politics, one of many ways he shows the Confederacy's dysfunction.

Anyhow, I am only one book in. I seem to remember it really losing itself in the inter war series and don't believe I ever finished the WW2 part of the series.

I'm revisiting Turtledove's Southern Victory and while I think it suffers from a great many things (Turtledove's workmanlike prose, too many viewpoint characters, a bit too much reliance on OTL people where it doesn't make sense) Turtledove does a lot right. The dilemma of Featherston and the black artillerymen in the first book, the dramatic tension of the Red rising throughout, the banality of someone like Jefferson Pinkard... it's all honestly a good open to the series, against a backdrop that really does capture a mostly realistic WW1 on American soil. And he isn't doing lazy parallelism early on- large parts of each front's narratives are for lack of a better way of putting it, native to the place- I especially like the Creek Nation Army being forced into a suicide assault because of tribal politics, one of many ways he shows the Confederacy's dysfunction.

Anyhow, I am only one book in. I seem to remember it really losing itself in the inter war series and don't believe I ever finished the WW2 part of the series.

It's fun but I don't think realism comes into it with trench warfare over several hundred miles of front. Just way too vast to have that kind of defence in depth

It's fun but I don't think realism comes into it with trench warfare over several hundred miles of front. Just way too vast to have that kind of defence in depth
Well, that's the thing- the fronts described in Book 1 all move quite a bit more than their European equivalents (the Confederates get pushed back to Maryland from Pennsylvania in the first year of campaigning) and they make it quite clear that they are very different from the areas still able to have a war of maneuver out west (we don't directly see warfare in Texas, but we know Lubbock fell in 1915, we see Kansas evolve from daring cavalry raids and irregular warfare to something much more conventional settling in on the Ozarks before those viewpoint characters die). They don't necessarily have a war by inches to compare it to, but it is a more mobile war than OTL's in Europe.

The areas with massive European style trench warfare in TL-191 are Kentucky, Virginia and Southern Ontario. We never really get a good look at the Manitoban front, but those are pretty reasonable areas to get static warfare IMO.

Well, that's the thing- the fronts described in Book 1 all move quite a bit more than their European equivalents (the Confederates get pushed back to Maryland from Pennsylvania in the first year of campaigning) and they make it quite clear that they are very different from the areas still able to have a war of maneuver out west (we don't directly see warfare in Texas, but we know Lubbock fell in 1915, we see Kansas evolve from daring cavalry raids and irregular warfare to something much more conventional settling in on the Ozarks before those viewpoint characters die). They don't necessarily have a war by inches to compare it to, but it is a more mobile war than OTL's in Europe.

The areas with massive European style trench warfare in TL-191 are Kentucky, Virginia and Southern Ontario. We never really get a good look at the Manitoban front, but those are pretty reasonable areas to get static warfare IMO.

Its been a while since I have read them but I seem to recall a gradual slowing and entrenchment on most of the fronts actually shown.

Mostly going from memory too, but I thought that the static warfare made sense east of the Appalachians (i.e. Virginia and Maryland), and possibly in southern Ontario if there was no naval supremacy, but not in other locations such as Kentucky. Kentucky had far too many miles and not enough people under arms to be the equivalent of the Western Front. It would have made more sense to be more like the Eastern Front, which still had the logistical issues but was more mobile, than the trench lines which seemed to stretch across Kentucky - though those trench lines may have been in Books 2 or 3, I don't remember for sure if they were in Book 1.

Back