• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Non-SLP Writing Opportunities

Announcing three more Fantastic Schools Volumes, to be published between summer 2023 and summer 2024.

They are:

Fantastic Schools Sports — send us your stories of fantastical school sports, magical gym class, as well as jocks, bullies, heroes, nerds, and all the rest!

Fantastic Schools Staff *–The poison potions teacher? The instructor of enchantment and beguiling? The janitor of fantastic things? The magic school nurse? This is the place for all these folks!

• The title of this one is not yet set. Might Be Fantastic School Faculty or Fantastic School Teachers. Not decided.
Fantastic Schools Volume Nine* — general stories of magic and mayhem at magic school.

• Number subject to change if we alter the order of the anthologies, which may well happen.
The deadline for submissions is March 30th, 2023. See the terms here.

I'm the co-editor of a shared world science fiction anthology.

Scott’s Planet is a colony planet that has been abandoned by corporate. About half of the colony chose to immigrate to viable colonies. The remainder have decided to stay.

The settlers have struggled to carve out a niche for themselves amid the planet’s native ecology. While Earth flora and Fauna are more sophisticated and complex than that of Scott’s Planet, this hasn’t always served as an advantage. Simple algae and fungus exploit the more complex invaders and can be incredibly resistant to removal.

The existing ecology (mostly Carboniferous, with some variations e.g. no trees) makes for an interesting world.

Stories are paid at 3 cents per word. No reprints. Poetry accepted. Stories between 500-5000 words. It will be a three volume (or more) anthology set over three books and a 50 year time line.

Further details are at publisher's link here: https://bcubedpress.moksha.io/publication/Scotts-planet

For anyone who's interested, there's a Scott's Planet bible available via that link which I would strongly recommend that authors read before writing their stories - as a shared world, this needs to be kept consistent. Feel free to ask me any questions via this thread or DM, as preferred.

No set time limit for submissions (especially for later volumes) but we've sent out the first couple of acceptances already, so don't wait too long.

I am probably rather late to this, but I do not know if you have come across: http://www.scimitaredge.com/ They include AH in their list of genres and a new call came out in January of this year (2023).

They also have a magazine which is currently looking for submissions: http://www.infinitywanderers.com/ That has a more restricted range and between a third to a half of each edition is non-fiction, but the magazine does take steampunk stories.

I am probably rather late to this, but I do not know if you have come across: http://www.scimitaredge.com/ They include AH in their list of genres and a new call came out in January of this year (2023).

They also have a magazine which is currently looking for submissions: http://www.infinitywanderers.com/ That has a more restricted range and between a third to a half of each edition is non-fiction, but the magazine does take steampunk stories.
Worth pointing out that Infinity Wanderers is a non-paying market (electronic copy of magazine only). People may still want to submit stories to non-paying markets, of course.

Scott’s Planet is a colony planet that has been abandoned by corporate. About half of the colony chose to immigrate to viable colonies. The remainder have decided to stay.

The settlers have struggled to carve out a niche for themselves amid the planet’s native ecology. While Earth flora and Fauna are more sophisticated and complex than that of Scott’s Planet, this hasn’t always served as an advantage. Simple algae and fungus exploit the more complex invaders and can be incredibly resistant to removal.

The existing ecology (mostly Carboniferous, with some variations e.g. no trees) makes for an interesting world.

Stories are paid at 3 cents per word. No reprints. Poetry accepted. Stories between 500-5000 words. It will be a three volume (or more) anthology set over three books and a 50 year time line.

Further details are at publisher's link here: https://bcubedpress.moksha.io/publication/Scotts-planet

For anyone who's interested, there's a Scott's Planet bible available via that link which I would strongly recommend that authors read before writing their stories - as a shared world, this needs to be kept consistent. Feel free to ask me any questions via this thread or DM, as preferred.

No set time limit for submissions (especially for later volumes) but we've sent out the first couple of acceptances already, so don't wait too long.

Someone from bcubed press should have another go at proofreading that page.

You don't want to meet 3-metre centipeds?

(More seriously, I'll mention it to Bob Brown when I talk to him next. I don't have editing rights over that page.)

As long as it's not a centiped that's been repritned.

I'll take a look at the bible.

Worth pointing out that Infinity Wanderers is a non-paying market (electronic copy of magazine only). People may still want to submit stories to non-paying markets, of course.
Sure. Yes, I built up my position through being featured on free websites, so that I had a following when I decided to self-publish and from self-publishing got to SLP publishing. It is a personal choice.

A reminder and update on this one. The call for this anthology is still open, but closes on 30 May. Sent the first half-dozen or so acceptances out, but there's still room for some more good stories. I'd encourage anyone who has any questions to drop me a line on this one.

A reminder and update on this one. The call for this anthology is still open, but closes on 30 May. Sent the first half-dozen or so acceptances out, but there's still room for some more good stories. I'd encourage anyone who has any questions to drop me a line on this one.
I wrote the email contact about obtaining the bible, so maybe I'll give it a crack.

Since acceptances are already going out, any tips about "we already have/we don't like ___" would be helpful if they can be offered.

I wrote the email contact about obtaining the bible, so maybe I'll give it a crack.

Since acceptances are already going out, any tips about "we already have/we don't like ___" would be helpful if they can be offered.
I have some general tips:
- The first volume of the anthology is meant to be about the Exit (when around half the colonists leave) and the first ten years after that. We have lots of stories about the Exit, to the point where we need to choose between them. We have relatively few stories post-Exit within the first ten years, so anything which is in that timeframe would have less competition.
- We have lots of stories which are fundamentally character pieces, and relatively few which are more action-focused. Character pieces are good, but more with action would be helpful.
- Try to keep things consistent with the bible. We don't bounce stories for a few inconsistencies - that's what editing is for - but stories which are wildly contradictory will be a struggle because of the level of editing and rewrites which will be required.

I have some general tips:
- The first volume of the anthology is meant to be about the Exit (when around half the colonists leave) and the first ten years after that. We have lots of stories about the Exit, to the point where we need to choose between them. We have relatively few stories post-Exit within the first ten years, so anything which is in that timeframe would have less competition.
- We have lots of stories which are fundamentally character pieces, and relatively few which are more action-focused. Character pieces are good, but more with action would be helpful.
- Try to keep things consistent with the bible. We don't bounce stories for a few inconsistencies - that's what editing is for - but stories which are wildly contradictory will be a struggle because of the level of editing and rewrites which will be required.
Thanks for that. Look forward to perusing the bible when it arrives.

Back