• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Most plausible alternate Axis powers?

More likely a neutral Mussolini, with deals being made by the British to keep him happy etc.

In terms of South America, Brazil won’t join the Axis because despite having a Fascist leader of sorts, Brazil was incredibly Pro-America at this period of time. Brazil fighting America would be incredibly unpopular with its population, which is why the joined with the Allies OTL.

Being neutral wouldn't let him invade Axis Greece though! Neutral until the allies start winning?

In terms of South America, Brazil won’t join the Axis because despite having a Fascist leader of sorts, Brazil was incredibly Pro-America at this period of time. Brazil fighting America would be incredibly unpopular with its population, which is why the joined with the Allies OTL.

Yeah true, my example of Reds! require a very different America.

There was actually a pretty lengthy and interesting discussion about this recently.

Well that's a slightly different scenario - what happens if Franco's Spain joins in 1940. I'm positing Primo de Riviera's (or whoever's) Spain being a Fascist power in 1936. Of course this has other consequences, not least in Spain itself.

Brazil definitely. Reds! does it and it's pretty natural, setting up for another theater of the world war.
A bit late to this and others have already argued how an Axis-aligned power in Latin America would drive the U.S. insane, but Vargas himself was opposed to getting involved with the Axis - while he briefly aligned himself with the nascent Integralist movement for expedient political reasons in the 30's, he himself took the canny "why the hell should I get involved" approach to relations with the Germans and any international fascist movement, and Time Enough's point about the pro-American bent of the Brazilian elite also plays a major part here. There's maybe a timeline waiting to be written about the tenentes somehow succeeding in overthrowing the First Republic in the 20's (maybe the Miguel Costa-Prestes Column succeeds in dragging the military into a protracted guerilla war and turns popular opinion against the Republic, or the Paulista Revolt succeeds, idk) and a militant military dictatorship/'managed' democracy joining the war earlier on the side of the Allies.

In any case, assuming you do get the Brazilians involved on the Axis' side just for rule of cool reasons, I can't imagine they'd be anything more than a source of commodities and raw natural resources for the Axis and eventually a punching bag to keep the Americans stretched a bit thinner.

In any case, assuming you do get the Brazilians involved on the Axis' side just for rule of cool reasons, I can't imagine they'd be anything more than a source of commodities and raw natural resources for the Axis and eventually a punching bag to keep the Americans stretched a bit thinner.

Arguably not even that (at least that much) given that the USN is going to immediately swoop down (since, unlike the army, the peacetime-strong navy can go into action right away).

A bit late to this and others have already argued how an Axis-aligned power in Latin America would drive the U.S. insane, but Vargas himself was opposed to getting involved with the Axis - while he briefly aligned himself with the nascent Integralist movement for expedient political reasons in the 30's, he himself took the canny "why the hell should I get involved" approach to relations with the Germans and any international fascist movement, and Time Enough's point about the pro-American bent of the Brazilian elite also plays a major part here. There's maybe a timeline waiting to be written about the tenentes somehow succeeding in overthrowing the First Republic in the 20's (maybe the Miguel Costa-Prestes Column succeeds in dragging the military into a protracted guerilla war and turns popular opinion against the Republic, or the Paulista Revolt succeeds, idk) and a militant military dictatorship/'managed' democracy joining the war earlier on the side of the Allies.

That's why Reds! has the integralists take over entirely yeah.

Polls even before Pearl Harbor showed a big majority of Americans supportive of preventing the Axis from gaining in a foothold in the Western Hemisphere. If they tried something like that, it would be FDR's dream come true.

The United States was worried about a German foothold in the Americas even before it entered World War I. That's why it purchased the American Virgin Islands from Denmark in 1917 (source).

Arguably not even that (at least that much) given that the USN is going to immediately swoop down (since, unlike the army, the peacetime-strong navy can go into action right away).
And you could imagine before the war the state department and the various pre CIA intelligence agencies would be very keen to support and encourage a viable coup attempt.

And you could imagine before the war the state department and the various pre CIA intelligence agencies would be very keen to support and encourage a viable coup attempt.

At that point in time it would have been more of a job for the Marines. The diplomatic and intelligence services didn't become prominent until after World War II.

I don't think even the Integralists would be stupid enough to join the Axis. Plínio Salgado hated the Nazis and was happy when the Allies took Rome.

Depends on whether they can get their Latin American war aims without pissing off the US anyway, I expect. In Reds! they can't so they may as well join and get whatever aid they can (not much). In other TLs they might get away with it while the US is distracted.

I'm going to make the radical suggestion of Poland.

There was a degree of Polish-German reapproachment in the early 1930's, which if the Polish government saw the Soviet Union as a greater threat than Nazi Germany might lead to some kind of alliance.

I'd fully expect the Germans to stab the Poles in the back at the first opportunity though.

I'm going to make the radical suggestion of Poland.

There was a degree of Polish-German reapproachment in the early 1930's, which if the Polish government saw the Soviet Union as a greater threat than Nazi Germany might lead to some kind of alliance.

I'd fully expect the Germans to stab the Poles in the back at the first opportunity though.

Hitler did briefly consider allowing a rump Poland to exist.

I'd argue not, tbh. What Axis of Andes does is have a war break out in South America during WWII wherein the USA are too distracted to do anything (or rather have an OTL war last longer and be more serious).

It's not really a front of our WWII, neither the Allies or Axis commit troops to it, its just a separate thing happening at the same time.

It's the difference between the sino-japanese war happening alongside the war in Europe from 1939 to 1941 and 1941 to 45 wherein the allies (soviets excepted) are actively fighting both fronts.

If you wanted to see American and British armies fight in South America, you wouldn't get that from AoA. It's not a front in the way OTL North Africa was.

Back