• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

I dunno... Not entirely pleased with this one. It's one of those pictures that you draw, and you're satisfied with it, then do a flip-horizontal on it, and immediately, you are made aware of all the places you went wrong on the symmetry and so forth, and... it's just ugly and you hate it. I also really need to practice drawing folds on clothes and fabrics a lot more.

But, oh well, transitional fossils.

I suppose that it's up for @Bolt451 to decide whether she still wants this outfit:

Yup. I feel an urge to nick it for a character too. But I'll resist

I kind of like my updated design of Emmy Nicander, though I suppose it remains an open question if she still resembles what @Thande thinks that character from Brandon Sanderson's books look like:

View attachment 45818
More so if anything, though maybe more if that image was mirrored, as then it'd be her Vorin safehand she was hiding :D

edit: Fanart by, I think, Jules Aguimatang:

1636110769010.png

Last edited:
Okay, the similarities between my pictures and that fanart is scary. Really scary.
I deliberately picked one which was most similar in style, but yeah, it really stands out to me.

As I said on the Stormlight thread, it never felt to me like you were ripping him off, but like both of you were doing an archetype of a character which I feel 'should' exist in lots of fiction (the intelligent, socially awkward, red-headed, young female scholar) yet I don't think actually does.

Vorin safehand

Had to google to find out what this was, and I must say that I really like the concept of the safehead. It’s not just a detail, there’s something elegant about it that just gives a certain richness to the whole worldbuilding aspect.

Maybe one day I ought to read Sanderson, although, I’ve long since been scared to do so for obvious reasons:

"Well, it's a mnemonic!"

"A mnemonic to help you remember what?"

"The declensions for certain German words!"

"What words?"

"The feminine indefinite articles! Exalted elephants rule royally! It helps me remember that it's eine, eine, einer, einer!"

"..."

"Well...?"

"You're an idiot."

RoyalElephant_SLP.jpg

Last edited:
I've decided to draw a vector image of Rome for completely frivolous reasons. First, I need to put together a collage of various Roman landmarks and general buildings that can collectively be assumed to properly represent Rome together, then, I mess with the angles a little to give it a nice cartooney feel, and-...

RomeStage1.png

...yeah, that works. Now begins the long process of working in Inkscape into making a proper vector-image out of this.

It is a slow and tedious process, but it is a soothing one. I was rather pleased with the way that the Santa Maria dei Miracoli turned out, even if the colours are completely different from the one the building has in real life:

RomanProgress1.png

I also put in the original collage in one of those online AI art generators to see what it would give. As for the two words it required as input, I put "Roman Topology". It delivered me this:

Roman Topology.png

It's-... Well, it certainly looks like a legitimate piece of art. Oddly Max Ernst. But I cannot help but look at it and think "I wouldn't want that hanging on a wall in a place I have to frequent."

Though I like how it seems to have dissolved the Basilica of St Peter into this purple gooish spaghetti.

It is a slow and tedious process, but it is a soothing one. I was rather pleased with the way that the Santa Maria dei Miracoli turned out, even if the colours are completely different from the one the building has in real life:

View attachment 55214

I also put in the original collage in one of those online AI art generators to see what it would give. As for the two words it required as input, I put "Roman Topology". It delivered me this:

View attachment 55215

It's-... Well, it certainly looks like a legitimate piece of art. Oddly Max Ernst. But I cannot help but look at it and think "I wouldn't want that hanging on a wall in a place I have to frequent."

Though I like how it seems to have dissolved the Basilica of St Peter into this purple gooish spaghetti.
someone call RTD and tell him to make an episode of Doctor Who where the Basilica of St Peter gets eaten by purple spaghetti goo pls

cryptosupermegasymbotranslatologist

Have it be about some cult who have built a particle accelerator under the Vatican to reawaken the sleeping Cthulhu-like creature they worship, which turns out to be this blobbery purple spaghetti monster.

Basically, the plot is, Michelangelo was in fact a renegade Time Lord all along who had fled Gallifrey and come to Earth. Here, he fought the blobbery spaghetti monster. In order to properly capture it and bring it to sleep, he had to give up all his regenerations and most of his life force. Knowing that he only had a few years left to live, he spent the remaining time putting clues in his works as to how, should the monster ever return, to contain it again.

On two separate occasions, the Doctor ends up accusing a handicapped man of being involved in the conspiracy (the first time a tourist in a wheel-chair, the second time a fellow with crutches), and both times, it's pretty much immediately proven that the Doctor is mistaken. Causing everyone else to start assuming that the Doctor has some sort of issue with handicapped people.

Back