• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

Not only was there a system, people wore postiche ones.

Now say it with me: not semi-presidential but parliamentary with presidentialist characteristics.

And of course he cursed it. He was the most evil man of his country in the century!

And there we finally are, the finished product:

princess_ernelinde_finished_product copy.png

Well, if we contrast her to her parents' appearances,

EmperorAndEmpress.png

We can note that there clearly must be recessive blonde genes in both branches of the House of Oldenburg from whence they come. And considering that the House of Oldenburg is pretty much entirely northern German in stock, that is not too surprising. Further, Princess Ernelinde has inherited her father's tall frame and slender physique, and her mother's very considerable-... err-... gender.

...also, to the extent that I am allowed to post other people's art in here, I did the other week finally receive a book that I had ordered some time ago from Bokus, Boken om Historia 3, the third book in a series of history textbooks currently in use in Swedish elementary schools. I just had to get a copy after learning that it is illustrated by Anders Nyberg, one of my favourite Swedish illustrators, and one who along with Sven Nordqvist has had a particularly strong influence on both my drawing style and techniques. The book, which covers the 18th and 19th centuries, certainly did not disappoint!

IMG_1313.jpgIMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1315.jpg

When a while ago when I was doing Chancery Presidents of the Nordic Empire, I was trying to draw up some basic idea of what happens after the Chancery Presidency of Hjalmar Montelius. I didn't get particularly far. I have no idea even what the broad outlines are. I have some idea of various characters I want to include, like Thorsager Brandstrup, the first Labour Chancery President, Sigurd Meisner, the Professor of Statistics who becomes Liberal Chancery President in the early 20th century, Sven Tigerstedt, the last Skeptical Chancery President who runs a caretaker ministry in the 1930s, Brynhildur Þórmundsdóttir, the current Nordic Chancery President (well, err-... the Chancery President at the middle of the 2010s, at least), Pekka Elias Lammikko, who serves as Chancery President in the 1970s (basically a Finnish Pierre Trudeau), and of course I have one idea for Norvald Espenssen, a Unionist who serves as Chancery President at some point(s) in the 1950s and 1960s.

norvaldChancery.png

The idea for him was entirely based on me once seeing a photo of John A. Costello, and thinking to myself "Boy, that man looks tired! Like they woke him in the middle of the night and told him he has to become Taoiseach and he kind of would have preferred if he would have been happier if he had been allowed to sleep instead and never become Taoiseach!"

Thus, I gave him the name Norvald Espenssen, because for some reason it seems to me a name that somehow oozes sleepiness.

So, the idea was going to be that he is not expected to become Chancery President, but due to some compromise resulting from an international incident requiring a broad composition (coalition) to handle the matter, he gets the top job, and to everyone's surprise--his own in particular--he ends up doing a very good job, and he ends up being remembered as one of the greatest Nordic statesmen of the 20th century.

The idea for him was entirely based on me once seeing a photo of John A. Costello, and thinking to myself "Boy, that man looks tired! Like they woke him in the middle of the night and told him he has to become Taoiseach and he kind of would have preferred if he would have been happier if he had been allowed to sleep instead and never become Taoiseach!"

When a while ago when I was doing Chancery Presidents of the Nordic Empire, I was trying to draw up some basic idea of what happens after the Chancery Presidency of Hjalmar Montelius. I didn't get particularly far. I have no idea even what the broad outlines are. I have some idea of various characters I want to include, like Thorsager Brandstrup, the first Labour Chancery President, Sigurd Meisner, the Professor of Statistics who becomes Liberal Chancery President in the early 20th century, Sven Tigerstedt, the last Skeptical Chancery President who runs a caretaker ministry in the 1930s, Brynhildur Þórmundsdóttir, the current Nordic Chancery President (well, err-... the Chancery President at the middle of the 2010s, at least), Pekka Elias Lammikko, who serves as Chancery President in the 1970s (basically a Finnish Pierre Trudeau), and of course I have one idea for Norvald Espenssen, a Unionist who serves as Chancery President at some point(s) in the 1950s and 1960s.

View attachment 32376

Thus, I gave him the name Norvald Espenssen, because for some reason it seems to me a name that somehow oozes sleepiness.

So, the idea was going to be that he is not expected to become Chancery President, but due to some compromise resulting from an international incident requiring a broad composition (coalition) to handle the matter, he gets the top job, and to everyone's surprise--his own in particular--he ends up doing a very good job, and he ends up being remembered as one of the greatest Nordic statesmen of the 20th century.
John A. Costello always looked like that tbf.

He was from what I can tell a compromise choice for the Fine Gael-Everyone Who Hates Fianna Fáil Coalitions of the late Forties and mid Fifties who was also incredibly socially conservative and said stuff like “I’m a Catholic first and an Irish second” on a regular basis.

His Nordic counterpart being a good statesman is a little ironic all things considered.

What does the male/Mars symbol signify in this case?

Considering the fact that the female/Venus symbol is associated with copper and appears an awful lot in connection with the city of Falun in Sweden, home to quite literally the richest deposit of copper on the planet, I would guess that Ilkeston must in some way or another be associated with iron works or iron mining, which is what the symbol for Mars is alchemically associated with.

It was very fortunate that thousands of years after the alchemists of old gave it that symbol that it was discovered that actually, Mars is absolutely covered with rust.

Considering the fact that the female/Venus symbol is associated with copper and appears an awful lot in connection with the city of Falun in Sweden, home to quite literally the richest deposit of copper on the planet, I would guess that Ilkeston must in some way or another be associated with iron works or iron mining, which is what the symbol for Mars is alchemically associated with.

It was very fortunate that thousands of years after the alchemists of old gave it that symbol that it was discovered that actually, Mars is absolutely covered with rust.
Of course, that does make sense.

I suspect that's not a coincidence - red is associated with iron for the same reason Mars is red.

Of course, that does make sense.

I suspect that's not a coincidence - red is associated with iron for the same reason Mars is red.

Yep, Max is right on this one.

There's been ironworking since the roman era on a very small scale, and Stanton Ironworks just south of town was absolutely massive- employing 7,000 people at its height (which would have been something like a quarter of the working male population) and was producing millions of tons of iron casting every year.

Back