• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

US-Soviet fishing disputes - "Perch War"

OHC

deep green blue collar rainbow
Pronouns
they/she
My Bend in the River research has led me on lots of interesting side quests, and I thought this one was of general interest and AH potential enough to start a thread.

In 1966, Soviet fishing fleets began cruising very close to America's Pacific coast, not only within today's EEZ lines but in territorial waters, at times only three miles offshore. They were trawling the bottom for perch and hake and processing them right there on giant factory ships. This infuriated coastal residents in Oregon and Washington, who were correctly concerned that the fisheries were being destroyed, but because this was an issue affecting only a couple states the federal government didn't want to bother opening the large diplomatic can of worms of establishing borders on the open sea. It took 11 years before the Magnuson-Stevens Act created America's contemporary 200-mile EEZ.

In the meantime, there was definitely a potential for nasty confrontations, diplomatic incidents, or even Cod War style armed conflict on the high seas. When Kesey and co were hosting BITR town halls on the coast in 1974, listening to the public's top priorities, the Russian fleet was all the locals wanted to talk about - their concerns a mix of economic, environmental, and nationalistic. Some were saying that if the feds didn't act they were going to start taking matters into their own hands, dumping 55-gallon drums full of concrete into the Russians' nets. It's very easy to imagine a couple of rogue fishermen going ahead with direct action that spirals out of control.

The wrinkle here is that the feds were not interested in this issue at all and were probably hoping it would go away in the name of detente, but the state governments in Oregon, Washington, and Alaska were very invested. Apparently, Tom McCall was publicly discussing buying a surplus destroyer and using it to enforce a 50-mile fishing limit. So what happens when state fish & game agencies accidentally get into a shooting war with the USSR in the late 60s or early 70s? Not World War III, the higher-ups on both sides would stop it before it got that far, but definitely an international incident that could have worldwide repercussions if it comes at the wrong time.

Fish & Wildlife VS the Soviet Navy sounds like the men's adventure paperback we all need, but would the presence of a destroyer not cause a fast but embarrassing resolution as the fishing fleets stay away while the ambassador yells at a cringing State Dept? (Though would that make the eventual EEZ smaller as Moscow needs soothing?)

Fish & Wildlife VS the Soviet Navy sounds like the men's adventure paperback we all need, but would the presence of a destroyer not cause a fast but embarrassing resolution as the fishing fleets stay away while the ambassador yells at a cringing State Dept? (Though would that make the eventual EEZ smaller as Moscow needs soothing?)
@Coiler, write this now!

Yes I think regardless of the specifics the situation probably doesn't last very long before the respective national authorities start talking to each other to sort something out. Modern communications means we don't get an analogue of SLP's Russo-New Zealand War, as interesting as that would be. If it's Nixon and Kissinger in charge, they would be caught between trying to deescalate the situation to pursue their foreign policy objectives and trying to assuage public opinion. This was a low profile issue in most of the country IOTL but a violent clash would make people sit up and go "wait, the Russians are how far off our coast?" If it's before the 1972 election, Nixon might also be worried about McCall and Scoop Jackson, likely to be big figures in this incident, as potential challengers for the presidency. 1971-1972, with the election and SALT in the balance, seems like it would be the most dramatic time for this all to unfold.

The American fishermen's original demand was a 50-mile limit. If the Soviets are okay with that, then the conflict is over; if they want to play hardball, it could drag on for a while.

I need to do more research but it seems like IOTL the 200-mile EEZ was adopted as an international standard by the UN a few years after Magnuson-Stevens; the US was one of several nations that had decided on that as an appropriate limit. If America goes for a 50-mile limit instead, does that become the standard? Or since some countries in South America had already gone for 200 will the UN still settle on that? I don't think we have any maritime lawyers on here, so maybe we can't answer that question right away. Could have very big knock on effects for territorial disputes.

I just remembered that my Uncle Dick was working for ODFW during this time period so I think I'm going to have to write a short story about this. Red Dawn at Sea!

Back