• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Transnistria joins Ukraine in the 90s

Ricardolindo

In the 90s, Ukraine was interested in annexing Transnistria, which was historically Ukrainian. They actually negotiated with the Transnistrian authorities on it. So, what if, in the 90s, Moldova decided to let Transnistria join Ukraine? I assume Transnistria would have to cede the territories it held west of the Dniester and Moldova the ones it held east of the Dniester. Would Moldova then have joined Romania?

In the 90s, Ukraine was interested in annexing Transnistria, which was historically Ukrainian. They actually negotiated with the Transnistrian authorities on it. So, what if, in the 90s, Moldova decided to let Transnistria join Ukraine? I assume Transnistria would have to cede the territories it held west of the Dniester and Moldova the ones it held east of the Dniester. Would Moldova then have joined Romania?
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: no,because Lebed’s 14th Group Army,which was effectively in control of Transnistria back then,won’t allow it and neither will Russia. Moldova has no say in this unfortunately.

Also this wouldn’t have led to unification with Romania since neither side actually wanted that.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: no,because Lebed’s 14th Group Army,which was effectively in control of Transnistria back then,won’t allow it and neither will Russia. Moldova has no say in this unfortunately.

Also this wouldn’t have led to unification with Romania since neither side actually wanted that.

Back then, Ukraine and Russia had very good relations. Ukraine actually supported the Russian intervention in Transnistria. I don't think Russia would have minded Ukraine taking Transnistria.
As for Moldova joining Romania, unionist desire was stronger back then than it is now.

Back then, Ukraine and Russia had very good relations. Ukraine actually supported the Russian intervention in Transnistria. I don't think Russia would have minded Ukraine taking Transnistria.
As for Moldova joining Romania, unionist desire was stronger back then than it is now.
The 14th Army wouldn’t care,they acted on their own and refused to accept anything beyond Transnistria being recognized by Russia as its own thing.

As for unionism,yes it was stronger but not by much. The Transnistrian problem being settled doesn’t make unification easier. Neither Iliescu or Snegur wanted that and the latter especially was against it,running on a Moldovinist platform.

It would be more realistic if Wales became independent in 2016 or Portugal became a monarchy again than unification between Moldova and Romania happening after the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact and the Soviet invasion of Basarabia.

It just isn’t duable in any real political way.

Back