• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Seccesion By Accident or The Gang of Eight Does One On Trudeau

Yokai Man

Yeah,yeah,I know,long ass title and a bit convoluted but hear me out.

During the last days of the 1981 Conference,exasperated by the Gang of Eight,Trudeau decided to pull out one last card: either the Premiers agreed to a Canadian national constitution or the matter will be decided via referendum.

The Gang,knowing Trudeau would win,said no to the latter and turned on Quebec,agreeing to Trudeau's terms.

But if they also pulled a fast one at the last minute?

Suppose Lévesque gets to talk more with someone who also does not particularly feel Canadian-like Angus MacLean,a Islander first,a Maritime second and a Canadian third as he described himself. Suppose also that MacLean decides not to retire in November and has more time to stay as Premier. During private talks they might discuss the referendum scenario and get an idea,which they share with the rest of the Gang and use it as their trump card against Trudeau doing this.

Fine,they would say to Pierre,but on one condition: if the referendum is rejected in one region,then logically said region becomes automatically independent and the government of Canada has to agree. If no,then they refuse and cease all talks.

Obvs no one but Lévesque (and maybe MacLean) would actually want this to happen but it is a way to call Trudeau's bluff and the rest of Gang of Eight logically assume that,even their regions vote no to the Constitution,Trudeau is not actually gonna allow them to be independent-it is simply a way to humiliate him and his arogant ass.

Trudeau,being his usual arrogant self,quite possibly says yes and,if/when numerous regions do vote No (abit narrowly),he plans to call the Gang's own bluff and do adknowledge their independence from Canada to destroy their carrers politically and see how quickly they will come back crawling and with the Liberals getting a massive majority.

What happens if all the bluffs are called? What happens if the Courts agree to the results?

@Callan @Turquoise Blue @Bonniecanuck I am not that knowledable on Canada but this idea stuck in my head after reading The Last Act and idk,wondered if this was plausible.

Back