• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Promos of Non-SLP Works

David Flin

Teenage Breakups.
I do hope the rest is following the line as how the Falklands War happened.
We've hit Mount Harriet in your TL.

I have views about the drawing. Not your fault, obviously. The phrase: "No," sprung to my mind.

We wore berets, not helmets. The reason being that we were fighting at night; since the Argentine forces wore helmets, we were able to tell instantly from the silhouette whether it was one of us or one of them, and react accordingly. The ground looks dry. It wasn't. God knows what those spotlights are. Those lines representing incoming bullets are curious. They don't look like that. I've no idea why he's got a half pack on. He'll have either taken it all off, or kept it all on. What are those starshells doing? We didn't use them; darkness was our friend. They used them, but not to illuminate their own positions. I've no idea what that chap is aiming at. You need to identify a bunker before you can bust it up.

Mount Harriet is secured with two British dead and thirteen wounded. Argentine losses are ten killed and 53 wounded.

I only recall one Marine killed; there may have been another after I got casevaced out, but not to my knowledge.

I note that Mount Kent took up pretty much a post, while Mount Harriet takes a single line.

Stateless

Statey and Skinless in Da Führerbungalow
Mount Harriet is secured with two British dead and thirteen wounded. Argentine losses are ten killed and 53 wounded.

I only recall one Marine killed; there may have been another after I got casevaced out, but not to my knowledge.
The two names on the Mount Harriet memorial are Corporal Laurence Watts and Corporal Jeremy Smith.

Stateless

Statey and Skinless in Da Führerbungalow
Cheers. I knew of Watts; he'd gone down before I had. Smith must have been after me; he wasn't in my Troop, so I wasn't keeping such a close eye on him.
Watts seems to get more focus in reports of the battle anyway.

Do you have any opinions of H Jones that you'd be willing to share?

David Flin

Teenage Breakups.
Do you have any opinions of H Jones that you'd be willing to share?
I wasn't at the scene, so only have the reports everyone has access to, and various bits of gossip (which isn't as much as might be thought; he was Para and hence Army. I was Marine and hence Navy). So with that enormous caveat in mind ...

Rash, headstrong, and much more of a Para in style than a Marine.

I note that after he was killed, the 2-i-c took control of the battle, and started flanking moves rather than frontal attacks, and broke the Goose Green position that way.

Paras, by their nature, have the mindset of being isolated and short on resupply (it's kind of in the job description), and the only advantage they have is surprise, so they tend to be bull-at-a-gate. Marines, by their nature, have infiltration and advance recon as part of the job description, so tend to take much greater care over getting the approach right. Consequently, I'm bound to be critical of the Para approach at the start of Goose Green.

That said, there seems to have been limited attempt to find the edges (compare and contrast with Mount Harriet).

We've hit Mount Harriet in your TL.

I have views about the drawing. Not your fault, obviously. The phrase: "No," sprung to my mind.

We wore berets, not helmets. The reason being that we were fighting at night; since the Argentine forces wore helmets, we were able to tell instantly from the silhouette whether it was one of us or one of them, and react accordingly. The ground looks dry. It wasn't. God knows what those spotlights are. Those lines representing incoming bullets are curious. They don't look like that. I've no idea why he's got a half pack on. He'll have either taken it all off, or kept it all on. What are those starshells doing? We didn't use them; darkness was our friend. They used them, but not to illuminate their own positions. I've no idea what that chap is aiming at. You need to identify a bunker before you can bust it up.

I note that Mount Kent took up pretty much a post, while Mount Harriet takes a single line.
Wikipedia also says 2 British dead at the Battle of Mount Harriet.

Sorry about the drawing, was the only one i could find regarding the Battle of Mount Harriet.

Nice to see you are reading it @David Flin, it was fun making it, now i have to find a new war in real time that i can publish.

The Hundred Years War?
Will be death before i can celebrate the 50 year part of the 100 year War.

Have completed the Six Day War in Real Time, now working on Slovenian Independence War of 1991 in real time, might add the Great War to it, also working on the Cuban Missile Crisis, might add the 1831 Ten Days' Campaign to the Wars in real time if i can find enough to fill those 10 days.

David Flin

Teenage Breakups.
Will be death before i can celebrate the 50 year part of the 100 year War.
Think positive.

The Great War; not a hope of getting it day-by-day. Not unless you can generate 100K words (minimum) per day. You've just got so much going on in so many far-separated but interlocking places; then there's the technological developments; the politics; the home fronts; the list goes on.

You really need something tightly confined in space.

Think positive.

The Great War; not a hope of getting it day-by-day. Not unless you can generate 100K words (minimum) per day. You've just got so much going on in so many far-separated but interlocking places; then there's the technological developments; the politics; the home fronts; the list goes on.

You really need something tightly confined in space.
Well you might be right, i am already doing World War II in real time, so it might be a little bit to much to get another long war as a project that will last 4 years at least.

Another war in real time might be the Gulf War 1991, it has plenty of YouTube clips that can be use and is also very good documented.