• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PODs of the Thirty Years War XXXVIII

My multicultural Protestant Hungarian boi finally appears here,I’m so happy

Transylvania's multicultural Protestant nature in this period is undoubtedly 'the most interesting state in Europe you've never heard about.'

The fact that Bethen almost managed to extend this to the rest of Hungary is peak 'things that would change the character of a nation so fundamentally that it's equally weird for either side of the cross-time divide to consider it.'

But theodicy wasn't a word yet and it so happened this wasn't a loving god after all.

Also, when you're just about pawning the Crown Jewels, you're at late-stage Byzantinism and you should ready yourself to face the music.

Pawning the crown jewels happened a surprisingly large amount of time in this period of course.

Pawning the crown jewels happened a surprisingly large amount of time in this period of course.

For the most part, most Crown Jewels weren't really considered to be that special for most of European history. I mean, there were exceptions -- the idea that the Crown of Charlemagne itself or certain anointing articles, items with enormous weight of history (or at least myth) to them, yeah, pawning or selling those or things like them is a big deal -- but selling off or putting up as collateral some of less important precious stones and gold implements is just kind of the reason why you keep all those jewels around. For most of history, most people used jewelry as essentially a way to store a large amount of value in a small space and it was only secondarily for showing off how wealthy you were, and royal and noble families were not exceptional to this rule.

Though it's not quite last resort, it's damn close to it, though, if they can no longer just borrow on interest and lenders are demanding collateral from sovereign princes, so this aspect of jewelry-as-bank-account shouldn't just mean we dismiss this, either.

Last edited:
For the most part, most Crown Jewels weren't really considered to be that special for most of European history. I mean, there were exceptions -- the idea that the Crown of Charlemagne itself or certain anointing articles, items with enormous weight of history (or at least myth) to them, yeah, pawning or selling those or things like them is a big deal -- but selling off or putting up as collateral some of less important precious stones and gold implements is just kind of the reason why you keep all those jewels around. For most of history, most people used jewelry as essentially a way to store a large amount of value in a small space and it was only secondarily for showing off how wealthy you were, and royal and noble families were not exceptional to this rule.

Though it's not quite last resort, it's damn close to it, though, if they can no longer just borrow on interest and lenders are demanding collateral from sovereign princes, so this aspect of jewelry-as-bank-account shouldn't just mean we dismiss this, either.

Of course I think it wasn't until Victoria that it stopped being customary for British monarchs and consorts to rent the majority of the coronation jewellery for the occasion- up to and including the gemstones in the coronets for minor royals.

Back