• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Most interesting time period for the rediscovery of silphium

SpanishSpy

wallowing in my millennialism
Published by SLP
This is an odd and frankly somewhat silly idea I had today, when I brought up the topic of silphium, the plant used as a contraceptive by the ancient Greeks and Romans before being driven extinct.

I then asked myself - what if the plant had been rediscovered at some later date, and widely cultivated?

Thing is, my European social history knowledge isn't good enough to pinpoint a time when this could be most interesting - when I do know things, modern birth control is already coming into being.

My gut tells me sometime around the French Revolution could be fruitful.

Remember though that, pre WW1, people would have had big families through necessity. Maybe not 13 or 15 as OTL, but prior to the modern welfare state children were effectively one's health insurance and old age pension. And pre antibiotics and later Victorian sanitation levels you had to assume that a certain number (roughly a quarter)would not reach adulthood (there would be trade-offs with slightly better nutrition and slightly less pressure on the rudimentary sewage system, but I would reckon on those numbers not falling beneath a fifth) and that a number of others would go off to the Wars or the Colonies and be effectively dead to you in terms of caring for you in your declining years. We might be talking fewer foundlings, bastards, baby farmers and abortionists and families of fifteen being thought excessive but a respectable married couple would probably be aiming for six or seven children up until at least the 1910s

Remember though that, pre WW1, people would have had big families through necessity. Maybe not 13 or 15 as OTL, but prior to the modern welfare state children were effectively one's health insurance and old age pension. And pre antibiotics and later Victorian sanitation levels you had to assume that a certain number (roughly a quarter)would not reach adulthood (there would be trade-offs with slightly better nutrition and slightly less pressure on the rudimentary sewage system, but I would reckon on those numbers not falling beneath a fifth) and that a number of others would go off to the Wars or the Colonies and be effectively dead to you in terms of caring for you in your declining years. We might be talking fewer foundlings, bastards, baby farmers and abortionists and families of fifteen being thought excessive but a respectable married couple would probably be aiming for six or seven children up until at least the 1910s
I don't think families of more than 8 or so were exactly common even back then with some specific exceptions (the reason a seventh son of a seventh son was comsidered lucky was because while not unheard of, it wasn't that common)

That said, with more modest projections, available contraception is not likely to alter the birthrate much prior to the Industrial Revolution for the reasons you describe, at least for the vast peasant majority.

I don't think families of more than 8 or so were exactly common even back then with some specific exceptions (the reason a seventh son of a seventh son was comsidered lucky was because while not unheard of, it wasn't that common)

That said, with more modest projections, available contraception is not likely to alter the birthrate much prior to the Industrial Revolution for the reasons you describe, at least for the vast peasant majority.
I am including the still births and deaths in infancy in my guesstimate of course, remember that a family of seven or eight was probably the consequence of ten or more births. My father (born in 1918) was one of eight children, but there was also a still birth and a death of a baby as well.

Back