• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Cartographicum Thandeum

There is the obvious caveat that not all states call it the State Legislature, State House and State Senate. Or indeed the State.

I do love how back during the 30s and 40s, there was this push by many progressive-minded people to try to do away with bicameralism, and in many states it was actually a very real possibility. In the end, only Nebraska ended up doing it. But as late as the 1950s, as Robert Caro relates, there wasn't a shortage of political scientists sincerely speculating that the Senate of the United States had about a few decades or so left before it would inevitably be abolished.

I like the way how this pushes the President down into a small box in the corner, as opposed to the usual sort of these diagrams where he's at the top of a Pyramid or the like.

As I know @Thande is fond of pointing out, the Founding Fathers didn't really intend for the President to be at the top, but that the President and the Congress were not just sort of equal, but that the impetus for bills and legislation should come from within Congress, rather than the system we have today where much legislation and initiative comes from the White House.

Indeed, neither John Adams nor Thomas Jefferson ever vetoed a bill, and George Washington only did so twice (the first time interestingly in a case involving the mathematics of proportional representation). It should be remembered that when it came to Executive Vetoes for them, they looked across the pond to Britain, where there had been (and still has not been) a Royal Veto since Queen Anne, for guidance. The Veto was a powerful tool, to be used only sparingly. The President had been elected to enforce the laws, not to make them, and if Congress presented a bill, even if it was not to the President's liking, it had a legitimate mandate and so should basically only be vetoed in case it contained something decidedly unconstitutional.

They likely would have regarded modern-day Presidential power with horror, and cried that America had descended into little more than an elective monarchy of some sort.

Indeed, neither John Adams nor Thomas Jefferson ever vetoed a bill, and George Washington only did so twice (the first time interestingly in a case involving the mathematics of proportional representation). It should be remembered that when it came to Executive Vetoes for them, they looked across the pond to Britain, where there had been (and still has not been) a Royal Veto since Queen Anne, for guidance. The Veto was a powerful tool, to be used only sparingly. The President had been elected to enforce the laws, not to make them, and if Congress presented a bill, even if it was not to the President's liking, it had a legitimate mandate and so should basically only be vetoed in case it contained something decidedly unconstitutional.

They likely would have regarded modern-day Presidential power with horror, and cried that America had descended into little more than an elective monarchy of some sort.
The modern presidency arguably owes as much to King Andrew the First, of Veto Memory, as it does to George Washington.

I like the way how this pushes the President down into a small box in the corner, as opposed to the usual sort of these diagrams where he's at the top of a Pyramid or the like.
That's kind of what I was going for - if something goes wrong up top, your vote doesn't make it down to there, is the idea.

As I know @Thande is fond of pointing out, the Founding Fathers didn't really intend for the President to be at the top, but that the President and the Congress were not just sort of equal, but that the impetus for bills and legislation should come from within Congress, rather than the system we have today where much legislation and initiative comes from the White House.

Compare and contrast with Citoyen Louis Capet who used the veto so liberally and from so early on that it exasperated just about every one who wasn't the most rabid monarchien and did a great lot to pave the way for republicans to have their ideas looked upon as not so crazy after all.

Anyone who knows twitter better than I do (or in other words, "the set of all human beings that doesn't include Thande" as @Makemakean would put it) - what are the best hashtags to put on these posts? Both #2018Midterms and #2018Midtermelections pop up when I experimented, which is more appropriate, and is there anything more specific I could use?

Anyone who knows twitter better than I do (or in other words, "the set of all human beings that doesn't include Thande" as @Makemakean would put it) - what are the best hashtags to put on these posts? Both #2018Midterms and #2018Midtermelections pop up when I experimented, which is more appropriate, and is there anything more specific I could use?

I don't know anything about Twitter, but I would assume the former as it is shorter and because "midterms" tends not to conjure up any images (to me) but the elections.

Crossposting: New York legislature maps

index.php

index.php

I have now started posting the maps here: https://twitter.com/AJRElectionMaps

I was already following this handle because of course I was

Type the # and check which is more widely used

Another crosspost

Minnesota (state house only - no elections in the state senate except for one special election)

View attachment 6505

When you need to detox after doing...pretty much any other state legislature, Minnesota is a refreshing change. It Does Democracy Properly. Every race contested except two, a lovely colour gradient so you can see actual trends, mmm...where was I? Oh yes. The Dems have pushed into the suburbs to win back control of the chamber. In 2012 there was a lot of red in the inset and no blue in the surrounding area on the main map. On the other hand, the Dems have also lost some districts in the northern rural areas, though I think that may have started in 2014/16.

Crossposting: New York legislature maps

index.php

index.php

Nice work. I believe Thiele in the 1st Assembly district is still a member of the Independence Party, he just caucuses with the Democrats now; but given that the vast majority of his votes come on the Democratic line it's a pretty academic distinction.

Nice work. I believe Thiele in the 1st Assembly district is still a member of the Independence Party, he just caucuses with the Democrats now; but given that the vast majority of his votes come on the Democratic line it's a pretty academic distinction.
I'm just using NYT information here and I don't think they bother about those petty distinctions, despite being from New York.

Back