• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

ASB: Alexander the Great lives 1,000 years, ascends to Olympus

This is just how mortals cope with being lame, they tell themselves it’d suck.

As all men (and women) are mortal, we've nothing in reality to compare it against.

Only in our fiction and dreams.

Living beyond the age of sixty is relative novelty for most humans, as the late Alexander the Great (decd aged 32) would attest, were he still alive.

Immortality is a curse, after about 250 years he'll be begging to be sealed in his mausoleum, alive or dead.

There's only so much the human brain can process, remember and tolerate.

I’m reminded of how in Spellbinder: Land of the Dragon Lord the Georgian era noblemen like Immortals from the Land of the Immortals have become immortal via science/alchemy but don’t know what to do anymore and can’t conceive children so their lives are dull and they keep making up dumb rules and shit just to feel something again.

After a while they just keep dressing in Georgian clothes because they can’t be arsed to come up with new stuff (and also because they have no inspiration left).

I’m reminded of how in Spellbinder: Land of the Dragon Lord the Georgian era noblemen like Immortals from the Land of the Immortals have become immortal via science/alchemy but don’t know what to do anymore and can’t conceive children so their lives are dull and they keep making up dumb rules and shit just to feel something again.

Sounds like the jaded, decadent immortals in Moorcock's Dancers At The End Of Time, so isolated only aliens and time travellers can visit them, whom they toy with and destroy.

The death of the Alexandrian World-King/God Emperor will unleash the kind of millennial fever unprecedented in human history.

It’s like saying rich people are miserable really

That reminds me, I've always sort of wondered, in a world where some people are immortal, wouldn't the people who aren't immortal be insanely jealous of other people's immortality to the point of obsessing over it and feeling immensely frustrated and everything? Like, why are humans in Lord of the Rings just okay with the fact that whereas they only get 70 some years, the Elves get to continue on forever and forever and forever?

Though I suppose it'd be like extreme wealth. I mean, would I like to have the same kind of wealth as an Elon Musk or a Jeff Bezos? Well, I mean, sure, but I'm also not like, actively jealous of them, I don't feel any instinctive resentment towards people who have an insane amount of money just on account of them having an insane amount of money. I suppose things would be the same way in a world in which there were immortals. Most people genuinely wouldn't feel bothered (or even think about it, really) by the fact that, I dunno, Emlithor Gaearion was alive already 3,700 years before you were born, and he's in all probability still going to be alive 3,700 years after your death.

As all men (and women) are mortal, we've nothing in reality to compare it against.

Only in our fiction and dreams.

Living beyond the age of sixty is relative novelty for most humans, as the late Alexander the Great (decd aged 32) would attest, were he still alive.

70-80, 60 is what people who don’t understand child mortality rates think the figure is.

That reminds me, I've always sort of wondered, in a world where some people are immortal, wouldn't the people who aren't immortal be insanely jealous of other people's immortality to the point of obsessing over it and feeling immensely frustrated and everything? Like, why are humans in Lord of the Rings just okay with the fact that whereas they only get 70 some years, the Elves get to continue on forever and forever and forever?

Though I suppose it'd be like extreme wealth. I mean, would I like to have the same kind of wealth as an Elon Musk or a Jeff Bezos? Well, I mean, sure, but I'm also not like, actively jealous of them, I don't feel any instinctive resentment towards people who have an insane amount of money just on account of them having an insane amount of money. I suppose things would be the same way in a world in which there were immortals. Most people genuinely wouldn't feel bothered (or even think about it, really) by the fact that, I dunno, Emlithor Gaearion was alive already 3,700 years before you were born, and he's in all probability still going to be alive 3,700 years after your death.

The age disparity is probably one of those things that would get more upsetting the older you get. We’ve seen kings and emperors go mad at the moment as it is as they realise death is getting near.

The difficulty with immortality, or an augmented lifespan, is how to convince mere mortals you actually have this. It would take precisely how many years of assassination attempts to assure people you were undying, and unkillable?

Think of the purges that might follow such an event. Could Alexander trust anyone, or he them?

Perhaps the Emperor could be ritually beheaded every 10-20 years and a huge festival made of it, such festivities only ending when the late Emperor miraculously comes back to life.

Ar-Pharazon was not okay with it, and look how that ended up!

Also, by the time of Lord of the Rings itself, there's not many Elves left, and they generally don't interact with Men much, so it's not quite an abstract concern but it kind of is?

That was a major drive of Heinlein's Mesulash's Children, in which the long-lived Howard Families are hunted for a secret that literally doesn't exist.

Chris

Sounds like the jaded, decadent immortals in Moorcock's Dancers At The End Of Time, so isolated only aliens and time travellers can visit them, whom they toy with and destroy.

The death of the Alexandrian World-King/God Emperor will unleash the kind of millennial fever unprecedented in human history.
"Penile erection was one of the many unsolved evolutionary mysteries surrounding sexuality. Every society had an elaborate subculture devoted to erotic stimulation. But nobody could quite determine how this...becomes this. Of course, we all know the physical process involved, but not the link between stimulus and response. There seems to be a correlation with violence, with fear. Many hanged men died with an erection. You are all more or less aware of our intensive researches into this subject. Sexuality declined probably because we no longer needed to procreate. Eternals soon discovered that erection was impossible to achieve. And we are no longer victims of this violent, convulsive act which so debased women and betrayed men."

Perhaps the Emperor could be ritually beheaded every 10-20 years and a huge festival made of it, such festivities only ending when the late Emperor miraculously comes back to life.
oh great i said "no solar fascism" and people respond by making the golden bough real way to go

This is just how mortals cope with being lame, they tell themselves it’d suck.

It’s like saying rich people are miserable really

I mean it would be, saying this as both a thanatophobe, and having had to read a book on Immortality. Immortality would be absolute hell, even for 1000 years. You would be out of touch, out of time, possibly wondering if people places and events start to just blur together. Even if your mind is sharp, it would really prevent this especially if we are placing someone onto the burdens of rulership and empire building for centuries.

Last edited:
So here's an ASB idea(mods feel free to move it if it isn't the right subforum). Alexander the Great does not die in Babylon, he wakes up just on the verge of death re invigorated. He feels fresh, and unwearied, there is no pain, and all his wounds( as well as alcohol poisoning is cured).

He will not grow a day older, and he will be immune to any injury-his skin unable to be cut, and his bones never being bruished. A sword swing to his neck will have no effect, a hammer blow to his cranium he will turn aside as if it were a breeze. In short he cannot die, and he will never be sick again. His mind will also never deteriorate.

He now has until 677 AD to live. At which point-wherever he is, and whatever he is doing-he floats off the ground, carried by a chariot with winged horses-a loud voice crying out "come up here my son".

What can he do with another thousand years of life? And what will his legacy be when he is seen departing the world of men with the (implied but not outright stated voice of Zeus) carrying him away?

Can he with this immortality conquer the world, in a thousand year time span,or will he spend centuries conquering and re conquering, being exiled and returning to reconquer again-until his time is up?

Thoughts and ideas?
Thanks for posting this great thread, OP. It's very funny.

Back