• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

Least implausible (yes I know) 51st+ state that isn't Puerto Rico or DC and wouldn't made by splitting an existing state?
Another couple ideas coming to mind, in order of (still-dubious) plausibility:

Sequoyah in 1905-07, if that had somehow gotten past Congress?

Philippines, if (even more) aggressive occupation/"pacification" from 1898 on had pulled it into a tighter U.S. orbit, or (far less likely) if tiny grassroots movement(s) for statehood post-WWII had achieved more support?

Sequoyah in 1905-07, if that had somehow gotten past Congress?
I mentioned on the Sequoyah thread that apparently William Howard Taft supported it from a Legal standpoint, so a scenario where McKinley isn’t shot and Taft becomes the Republican candidate following a brokered convention would likely provide an Avenue for Sequoyah to gain support (unlikely Teddy who was just really racist against native Americans and thought there own state was bad).

Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) and Cuba are solid contenders, Newfoundland is a fun one and probably the most plausible to be carved out of OTL's Canada, and then there's always the scenarios where America tries to swallow more of Mexico.

Greenland, if acquired, would be stuck as a territory for similar reasons to Guam/NMI and the US Virgin Islands.

Last edited:
What if the United States had taken all of the Mariana Islands in the Spanish-American War in 1898? I posted a thread about that, https://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/in...tates-takes-all-of-the-marianas-in-1898.5980/. In that scenario, the Northern Mariana Islands would probably be more populous.
I mean, I don't really see why they would end up being much more populous if at all under sustained US administration. They're still going to be economically marginal islands with a limited timeframe of military utility.

I mean, I don't really see why they would end up being much more populous if at all under sustained US administration. They're still going to be economically marginal islands with a limited timeframe of military utility.
The Mariana Islands could be used for sugar plantations like they were under Japanese rule. As @Jackson Lennock said, a lot of the Japanese migrants to Saipan and Tinian would probably still have went as there was significant Japanese immigration to Hawaii.

The Mariana Islands could be used for sugar plantations like they were under Japanese rule. As @Jackson Lennock said, a lot of the Japanese migrants to Saipan and Tinian would probably still have went as there was significant Japanese immigration to Hawaii.
You're still talking small numbers in both of these cases, and you're subtracting out OTL's cheap labor and lax immigration standards due to Commonwealth status, so it could even be a wash. The Marianas are not going to be densely populated with American conquest in 1898.

There's only one Napoleon movie, that's by Abel Gance. I saw a partially restored version back in the early 80s, and it was magnificent. Since then, I think Kevin Brownlow has found even more of the missing footage.

I'm Finnish adjacent (mom is Finnish, my brother's lived there off and on for a few years in total). Ask away.
Can I ask you a question about Nokia in the 1990s?
I am doing a variety show type of timeline, with four (largely developed) political (with the exclusion of a POD related to Trump, that is for now) and two cultural changes (extra chapters, as I like to call them)
One of the cultural changes I want is to keep Nokia in the computer sector.
But, from the sources I find, it seems to be hard without getting rid of or changing the mind of, Simo Vuorilehto, CEO at the time, who, from what I understand, started Nokia's journey to becoming the telecommunication giant of Finland, by selling off non-telephone-related sectors.
Yet, from all the sales, the sale of the computer department seems to not only make the shares of the company crash (I am exaggerating with the word "crash", as I am unable to find a better word) due to investors thinking the company was in financial trouble, also cost him his job.

So, what could make the computers of Nokia survive?

Can I ask you a question about Nokia in the 1990s?
I am doing a variety show type of timeline, with four (largely developed) political (with the exclusion of a POD related to Trump, that is for now) and two cultural changes (extra chapters, as I like to call them)
One of the cultural changes I want is to keep Nokia in the computer sector.
But, from the sources I find, it seems to be hard without getting rid of or changing the mind of, Simo Vuorilehto, CEO at the time, who, from what I understand, started Nokia's journey to becoming the telecommunication giant of Finland, by selling off non-telephone-related sectors.
Yet, from all the sales, the sale of the computer department seems to not only make the shares of the company crash (I am exaggerating with the word "crash", as I am unable to find a better word) due to investors thinking the company was in financial trouble, also cost him his job.

So, what could make the computers of Nokia survive?

I'll ask around - keep watching this space.

Back