• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

If the army didn't believe in them but there was still drive to try them out, that could be done under naval auspices.

Once they've shown battlefield results, I struggle to see the army doing anything other than grabbing with both hands. It's a major weapon system with only land uses, which means budget and commands and prestige, after all! And while winning the war is important, positioning for the post-war budget fight with the navy is  also important.

That's true but I guess I was thinking more along the lines of if we can get to situation where the Admiralty doesn't want to give them up and that combined with early tank failures means the army focuses on other things and the Admiralty develops a tank corps a la Marines that are recognised as being entirely land based in use but are completely 'conceptually captured' for lack of a better phrase by the idea of tanks still being 'land-ships' to keep this going.

That was why I was thinking of this in terms of the politics and if people knew more about the squabbles of this time and then the politics of budget post-WW1 in Britain more concretely to find a conceptual gap for this to have just about happened.

President Joe Liberman via the 25th Amendment (2003-2013)
Literally what happens in The County Vaslui in NATO but only after special conciliatory smart missiles accidentally kill everyone in Northern Ireland who isn’t a Catholic or a Protestant.

Pretty sure he‘s still alive by the time of the story (2089) and is a beloved elder statesman.

And if 9/11 still happens in any fashion and brings any version of War on Terror, the President being in disarray and looking weak is going to be the last thing the American public will want.

Particularly as, in this timeline, Gore would have been a vital part of the Clinton Administration and therefore should be expected to take the threat more seriously than Bush ...

Chris

Literally what happens in The County Vaslui in NATO but only after special conciliatory smart missiles accidentally kill everyone in Northern Ireland who isn’t a Catholic or a Protestant.

Pretty sure he‘s still alive by the time of the story (2089) and is a beloved elder statesman.
I enjoyed never hearing of this before now.

Ah, but were they a Catholic not-a-Catholic-or-a-Protestant or a Protestant not-a-Catholic-or-a-Protestant?

Nice to finally see this in print.

I'm friends with one of the editors (Montreal friend of a friend thing) and I was there when he got the news that the anthology was going to get funding at a science fiction convention way back in 2018.

Then the publishing company went through some "weird" times (to put it loosely) in 2019 (Google "Chizine royalties scandal"). Needless to say, he dropped contact with the company and started shopping around for a new publisher.

And then covid hit after that...

Crazy journey getting this published. Nice that it's getting some good reviews.

Nice to finally see this in print.

I'm friends with one of the editors (Montreal friend of a friend thing) and I was there when he got the news that the anthology was going to get funding at a science fiction convention way back in 2018.

Then the publishing company went through some "weird" times (to put it loosely) in 2019 (Google "Chizine royalties scandal"). Needless to say, he dropped contact with the company and started shopping around for a new publisher.

And then covid hit after that...

Crazy journey getting this published. Nice that it's getting some good reviews.
Yes, I've dealt a bit online with some of the contributing authors (and a couple of them also had stories in the first anthology a story of mine appeared in), and the journey getting it to publication has been a long and troubled one.

My story idea for it never quite gelled, plus a dash of "I'm not Jewish and not sure if I can convincingly write from the perspective of a Jewish character" - so I didn't give the editor the chance to reject it.

Certainly been added to my to-read list when I manage to move a few other books off it.

Ignore Japhy, I would like to hear more.
Hoo boy.

Okay uh,first off note it’s meant to be a long running joke serial in a satirical magazine (Academia Catavencu),written between 1999 and 2001 before 9/11. It’s not meant to be realistic.

Basically after Kosovo and Gore becoming Prez NATO starts supporting al most every separatist party/organization by armed force. Corsica,the Basque Republic,Catalonia,Kurdistan-they all become independent via NATO intervention. Eventually after awhile almost everyone in the world becomes part of NATO and entering the organization is meant more as an exam into entering in the big leagues.

Again,not meant to be taken seriously.

Without 9/11 and Bush's resulting popularity boost, would Gore have ran again?

No, I'm pretty certain he fairly rapidly came to the conclusion that he was never going to run again after 2000, and while this has already been well-dealt with I'd also like to add the death of Gore's parents as additional factors as to why we can discount this. Both Al Sr. and Pauline were incredibly ambitious for their son and their passing removed the main family pressure on the man for further presidential runs.

Back