• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

Albania WI I've been curious about: What if it became a "normal" Warsaw Pact state instead of the European North Korea it was in the Cold War OTL?

The NYT link in it is paywalled, but this passing mention--found while browsing randomly on Wikipedia in the wake of the news about the two asylum seekers in Alaska--made me curious what the consequences might've been, once I dug a bit deeper and confirmed it wasn't somebody screwing with the wiki:

"In 1920, Russian leader Vladimir Lenin offered a 60-year lease of the [Kamchatka] peninsula to the United States."

(Side note: A further Google search turned up this AH.com discussion with separate timeline included, so it's not necessarily a new idea, but still an interesting one IMO.)

The recently rediscovered ToonMakers' Sailor Moon was an attempt to cash in on the then highly popularly power rangers franchise using both original live action footage and animation. You could argue if it was doomed from the start, but let's say it does decently well,runs for like three seasons, what effect would it have the entertainment industry ? Would the success lead to more female led shows ? More importantly would it 'kill' anime's chances in America ?! Probably not. There will be more American remakes but some bastard eventually is going to realize it's cheaper to just dub than make a whole ass show; when Pokemon comes stateside (I doubt they'd go the remake route) most studios would realize this. I'd wager that during the 2000s and early 2010s the show is a target of mockery similar to 4Kids and Robotech, as the years go by creators influenced by it and a general change in zeitgeist would turn opinion more fond. So the biggest impact is the lessening of exposure of anime to that generation of creators. Also Code Lyoko probably would have been gotten a remake where the CGI scenes are dubbed while the traditionally animated parts are live action.

I've been playing with Springsharp and its predecessors in various fora for almost twenty years. Tremendous fun if you're into that sort of thing.

There are some new naval design simulators in early access or coming out soon on Steam. For strategy there's Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts and Rule the Waves 3, and for a more hands on simulation there's Stormworks.

There are a few tank design simulators too, such as Sprocket and Arms Trade Tycoon: Tanks. You can also build and repair tanks and run a tank museum in Tank Mechanic Simulator.

Steam also has simulators for other things, including for automobiles and their engines and for building construction and design. There are also aircraft and rocket design simulations, although those are more for things like a space research agency than for designing and building them for commercial or military use.

It is fun to design 100,000 ton mega-battleships and see the "realistic" cost and crew requirements.

You can do a lot with 45,000 tons for battleships.

Yep, shows how thin the strands that bond different types of "Alternate History" are. (Which I'm not saying is a bad thing)

Back