• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AHC: Labour-Lib Dem govt in 1992

Bolt451

Sometimes things that are expensive...are worse
Published by SLP
Pronouns
She/They
Yes, it is time for Bolt wanking on about voting reform.

Two parter:
1) Get a Labour-Lib Dem coalition or Labour W/ Lib Dem S&C Govt as the outcome of the 1992 election (or at least the next election after the 1987 one)
2) What would this government do, how would it go?

PoD no earlier than the previous GE. Preferably the GE happens at same time but not essential

If this has been done before I'd be grateful for links on the subject

Handily the Lab and Lib manifestos from then are online, so we can check what they were promising. So things that will definitely happen (or if not, everyone will agree they're going to do):

* Scottish and Welsh devolution, and regional economic bodies - both parties agree on making these

* Big pushes for industrial modernisation and new training for workers - both agree on that

* Some form of transport investment

* Work programmes for the unemployed

* Government to have a science-focused part

* "We will take tough action against monopolies, mergers and financial raids" promises Lib Dems, to which Labour would go YEEAAHH!!

* End to privatisation of British Rail

* Preschool for children

* Pushing for more community healthcare

* Housing: BUILD, BUILD, BUILD

* Child benefit is up

* Civil rights and equality reform, both parties agree here (bye-bye Section 28)

* Attempts at peace in Northern Ireland

* Staying in the ERM. UH OH!

The Lib Dems have a really, really big section on Europe, which Labour does not. So there, the Lib Dems may do most of the driving.

There's going to be some harsh fights over tax, business law, the fate of bodies like British Gas (LDs want to split it up), and what some of the reforms for business, NHS etc should look like.

Paddy Ashdown actually being from Northern Ireland as a kid and then being in Belfast with the Marines will likely do something for the peace process, though buggered if I know what. (Hopefully him being a protestant boy from Bangor who was part of Our Brave Soldiers will help the government get some of the unionists to the table)

John Smith is dead two years into this, at least, and someone else has to take the Chancellor job EDIT: OTOH Smith may not still be the Chancellor by then, after Black Wednesday

Last edited:
Black Wednesday might not necessarily happen,due to it mostly being the fault of Major.
Depends on how Kinnock and Smith play it, I could see it still happening given how that Kinnock/Smith was from the same strain of Labour economic thought that was like 'No Devaluation is BAD!' and other oddities.
That will definitely cause some feuding, especially after Black Wednesday!
We would probably see Gordon Brown sharpening his knives, whilst Bryan Gould is going 'I told you so' on every single talkshow possible so.

IIRC Kinnock did have a pre-election secret plan to devalue within the ERM of which Smith was kept unawares - partly mistrust between the two, partly also because it would be electorally toxic. Smith's anger was more that he had been excluded from policy making than the idea itself was troubeslome; I can see the case being made to him after the election, and Smith pursuing sufficient devaluation within the ERM to prevent so much money being pumped into it. British membership was very much a prestige project of Major's, especially, as he had been Chancellor when Britain joined.

I'm skeptical Britain would remain in the ERM long-term - to much sailing close to the wind. But a more gradual, easier exit might benefit Britain the way it did in the late 1990s. But with Black Wednesday itself gone, the 1990s are a very different decade - the Conservative's image as the credible party of prudence and economy isn't entirely destroyed, but with a generally hostile media, nor is the Labour Party's reputation for economic soundness (that Gordon Brown will especially push for) entirely developed.

Back