• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

Screenshot_20230602-163650.png

Silverton's state House seat, the Division of Forest River, will be renamed the Division of Davenport in advance of the 2023 snap election.

(You can tell I'm a nerd since this label on our work trailer always makes me think of Australian politics.)

This one is more surprising not from the immediate image itself but from the caption: 1941, Winston Churchill observes the launch of a drone.

640px-thumbnail.jpg

In fact, this specific radio-controlled aircraft (the de Havilland Queen Bee) is thought to be the origin of the word 'drone' for unmanned air vehicles due to the pun on male bees that fly once (a mating flight) and then die, or in this case are shot down by the manned aircraft whose pilots are being trained.

One I discovered during a visit to the Smithsonian earlier this year.

One US President, for the sake of anonymity let's call him Richard N R Nixon, felt that Secret Service agents assigned to the White Houe should be uniformed. The result was these nifty wee numbers:

20230128_120433-01.jpeg

The uniforms were quietly phased out by his successors. Some of them were purchased by an Iowa high school for their band at $10 a pop, which was a steal considering the government paid $16,000 each. They just beat out Alice Cooper, who wanted to outfit his road crew in them.

Another 'captured enemy vehicle that could also be an alternate lend-lease with different alliances' image - American Tiger tank

View attachment 70232

I think at one point, the Wehrmacht operated more T-34s than the Red Army.
0356B7FC-D4E3-4DE0-85B5-6141C7F6FF9B.jpeg

They also liked free Lend-Lease tanks.

6DB61ABB-FF89-41CD-862A-BD9E5A0D8625.jpeg

If they had more of these, Hitler might have won!

Googling the word "beutepanzer" gets you some good alternate history pictures.

There’s a museum near Ahmednagar in India that has a whole range of German and American tanks from WW2 that were later used in the 1965 and 1971 wars between India and Pakistan. Some still had the swastikas on which looked like HoI AH where the Germans had broken through the Middle East to India.

Also notable that many Indian cavalry regiments retain their British names E.g. Skinner’s Horse.

Among the Musée de l'Armée weirdest pieces.

1) You might already know the shield-pistol combo, but would you be ready to face the key-pistol?

11-549519-recadre.jpg

2) "What if we combined a rifle with a cannon?" and thus was born the bullet-cannon.
12-551966-recadre.jpg

3) A XVIIIth century grenade-launcher
06-505167-recadre.jpg

4) A dismountable canon. (Result)

10-527835-recadre.jpg
Oh, good idea. Unfortunately I can't find an idea of that strange novelty musket with a twelve-foot-long barrel that they had at the Royal Armouries at some point.

TIL that the Iraqi Embassy in Beijing is made to look like the Ishtar Gate in Babylonia.

1687277055242.png

Does that count as ancient civilisation one-upmanship (or solidarity)?

Link to original picture as the pattern creates some unintentional moiré effects on the smaller image: https://content.fortune.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ishtar.jpeg

Oh, good idea. Unfortunately I can't find an idea of that strange novelty musket with a twelve-foot-long barrel that they had at the Royal Armouries at some point.

Saves the bother of engaging the enemy more closely.

TIL that the Iraqi Embassy in Beijing is made to look like the Ishtar Gate in Babylonia.

View attachment 70239

Does that count as ancient civilisation one-upmanship (or solidarity)?

Bit small compared to the one in the Pergamon.

The Elephant of the Bastille. It will never be not weird as heck.

Elefant_der_Bastille.jpg
I like how there is no explanation whatsoever in the Wiki article about why an elephant. My first thought was some sort of strained Carthaginian reference to Hannibal crossing the Alps as Napoleon also did that, but that's clearly meant to be an Indian elephant and howdah.

I like how there is no explanation whatsoever in the Wiki article about why an elephant. My first thought was some sort of strained Carthaginian reference to Hannibal crossing the Alps as Napoleon also did that, but that's clearly meant to be an Indian elephant and howdah.

Even the French Wikipedia article basically offers about a dozen different explanations (a proposal for a statue of Louis XV on Place de l'Étoile, a royal symbol adopted by the republic, a carriage clock in Berlin, the stories of Alexander the Great, the Danish Order of the Elephant, a fountain in Rome, pure artistic Oreintalism etc.) as to why.

It's basically one massive *shrug*

Back