• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

[WWII] German territorial administration plans for the East

varyar

giver of existential dread
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
This map might be of possible interest and/or use for Reich Triumphant timelines:

New_Europe.jpg

Intriguing; what work is this taken from?

That's a good question. As I uploaded this image a few years ago, I can't recall off the top of my head! It's almost certainly either Gerhard Reitlinger's House Built on Sand or Alexander Dallin's German Rule in Russia, 1941-1945 though. I'll look through my copies tomorrow and check.

That's a good question. As I uploaded this image a few years ago, I can't recall off the top of my head! It's almost certainly either Gerhard Reitlinger's House Built on Sand or Alexander Dallin's German Rule in Russia, 1941-1945 though. I'll look through my copies tomorrow and check.

Interesting. I read a while ago that the plans for German Ostland occupation supposedly included an effective border at the Urals (the "Archangel-Astrakhan" or "A-A" Line, running between those two cities), though a lot of works and maps, including this one, don't show or only hint at it. Any ideas if this was genuine, and if so, just a personal whim of Hitler's, or an actual part of Nazi long-term planning?

Interesting. I read a while ago that the plans for German Ostland occupation supposedly included an effective border at the Urals (the "Archangel-Astrakhan" or "A-A" Line, running between those two cities), though a lot of works and maps, including this one, don't show or only hint at it. Any ideas if this was genuine, and if so, just a personal whim of Hitler's, or an actual part of Nazi long-term planning?

Looked through my collection and the map is from the Dallin book. I wonder how explicit the source documents are.

As for the A-A line, it looks like that was the end goal for Operation Barbarossa, at least: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Führer_Directive_21

As for the A-A line, it looks like that was the end goal for Operation Barbarossa, at least: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Führer_Directive_21

Yeah, the A-A Line was considered the most feasible eastern extent of the German advance during Barbarossa. It was viewed that even if reaching that line wasn't enough to bring about a Soviet collapse it would at least cripple their economy and effectively knock them out of the war until further campaigns* could finish the job. As we know now this was ludicrously optimistic, especially when you consider the line was meant to be reached within ten weeks but I suppose it is revealing that even the Nazis didn't think they could reach the Urals in one fell swoop.

* Given that the plan was to massively downsize the Heer after Barbarossa's completion, this probably would have been left to the Luftwaffe.

This map might be of possible interest and/or use for Reich Triumphant timelines:

New_Europe.jpg
Very interesting map! Anyway, does Turkestan become independent or remain part of the rump USSR? On the one hand, the Nazis might use the Central Asian peoples as allies, but on the other hand, even victorious Nazis might strain at the logistics of supporting an independent Central Asia after conquering the European part of the USSR. Plus, with the mass deportations that the Nazis are going to engage in, the rump USSR is going to need some place to put the tens of millions of deportees from Eastern Europe--and I'm unsure if Siberia and the Russian Far East are actually going to be enough to sustain all of those people.

Back