• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

The Toronto 'new' city hall is definitely one of the most Star Trek Matte Painting buildings to actually exist in real life.
Speaking of which, one of my favourite places in Cambridge (even though I only really used its libraries when doing History & Philosophy of Science) is the Sidgwick Site, which has a load of mismatched but architecturally interesting libraries and faculties all shoved together like it's the hub world of an adventure game.

1687875568127.png
Law Faculty - futuristic aircraft hangar

640px-DivinityFaculty.jpg

Divinity Faculty - lab from Tiberian Sun

640px-History_Faculty_University_of_Cambridge.jpg

Seeley Library (history) - allegedly supposed to look like an opening book - I once spent an afternoon researching the Manhattan Project in there

Some of them even just have staircases on the outside that end in blank walls etc., as though it's a buggy level from a beta version of Myst or something. You can't see it very well in this image, but the Faculty of English has an extra blank wall with an empty window in it in the middle of the bike park that doesn't connect to anything, as though one of the devs misplaced it.

1687875768468.png

Speaking of which, one of my favourite places in Cambridge (even though I only really used its libraries when doing History & Philosophy of Science) is the Sidgwick Site, which has a load of mismatched but architecturally interesting libraries and faculties all shoved together like it's the hub world of an adventure game.

View attachment 70491

Seeley Library (history) - allegedly supposed to look like an opening book - I once spent an afternoon researching the Manhattan Project in there

Some of them even just have staircases on the outside that end in blank walls etc., as though it's a buggy level from a beta version of Myst or something. You can't see it very well in this image, but the Faculty of English has an extra blank wall with an empty window in it in the middle of the bike park that doesn't connect to anything, as though one of the devs misplaced it.

View attachment 70492
The seeley is very James Stirling

I once suggested the joke conspiracy theory that Roosevelt secretly engineered WW2 just to kill off baseball in the UK before we made a habit of beating the Americans at it.

The inverse of that is how healthy actual football was in the US before the competing leagues shattered the sport out of existence—they placed fourth in the 1930 World Cup!

Interesting chronauseous use of the term "United Nations" in a contemporary (well, 1759) account of the negotiation of the Treaty of Easton (1758) between 13 Native American Indian nations and the colonial governments of Pennsylvania and New Jersey (@Ciclavex).

View attachment 70799

(For more, see here: https://archive.org/details/sim_gentlemans-magazine_1759-03_29_3/page/108/mode/2up )
I get the same feeling whenever I see the Iroquois Confederacy referred to as the Six Nations, or the Five Nations for that matter before the Iroquois admitted Italy.

Attachments

• NTH3.jpg
    NTH3.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 8
  • NTH2.jpg
    NTH2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 9
  • NTH1.jpg
    NTH1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 9
  • NTH4.jpg
    NTH4.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 9

View attachment 70491

View attachment 70492
I really didn’t like working and having lectures in the Seeley building, looks horrible, felt very exposed to the weather and the library was so open and bright.

Back