• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Queen Margaret?

Looking further into this, courtesy of Layard's post here: If Margaret becomes Queen and either remains single or marries yet has no children, would it be Prince Henry and his sons William and Richard who'd be next in line, or Princess Mary's children with Henry Lascelles, Earl of Harewood?

Looking further into this, courtesy of Layard's post here: If Margaret becomes Queen and either remains single or marries yet has no children, would it be Prince Henry and his sons William and Richard who'd be next in line, or Princess Mary's children with Henry Lascelles, Earl of Harewood?

Gloucesters, Kents and then the vastly entertaining Lascelles.

I feel like it’d be perfectly feasible that Margaret decides she has no desires for life as a Queen, abdicates her position, and the Duke of Gloucester succeeds George VI.

Should have realized/noticed this much sooner: If Charles (b. 1948) survives the "Smog" scenario described above that claims Elizabeth, then wouldn't Margaret only be Regent until he turns 21, according to the Regency Acts then in force (and presuming Parliament doesn't pass a version of the 1953 Act)? If the 1952 Smog is bad enough to lead to Elizabeth's death, odds are that it does the same for 4-year-old Charles, thus leading to Margaret as Queen, but then it perhaps becomes an even softer AH scenario.
I don't know exactly when, but I think Philip was the agreed Regent. There was I think legislation passed to that effect.

I don't know exactly when, but I think Philip was the agreed Regent. There was I think legislation passed to that effect.
As I understand it, that was the 1953 Act, which IOTL wasn't introduced/assented to until several months after Elizabeth's coronation. When she was a child, the Act then in force, passed in 1937, would've made Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester Regent; if there's no later legislation in the wake of a scenario where Elizabeth dies of the Smog but Charles survives, then Margaret would be Regent according to the same Act. I don't know if there's any reason why Philip couldn't be named such anyway (apart from his being, technically, a foreigner, which I'm not sure is a disqualification), informally or through another, more speedily-passed Act, esp. if (as a number of people here seem to believe) Margaret had as little desire for the position as she would to be Queen.

Back