• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Operation Doomsday - Research Thread

Skinny87

en.wiki veteran (Airborne Warfare Wikistar)
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
To avoid cluttering up the main thread for my planned novel, Operation Doomsday, I've decided to start this thread for my research, planning and any reader comments

I'm just beginning to realise what I've let myself in for, developing something that was going to be a vignette into what will hopefully become a full novel; and I need to be doing a lot of research and reading before I can get too far into it

I have enough material on 1st Airborne Division on my bookshelves, so that angle is covered, but I wondered if anyone could suggest good reading material for any of the following subjects:

Norway during the German occupation
Oslo during the German occupation
Memoirs set during either of the above (in English!)
A map of Norway circa 1945
A map of Oslo circa 1945
Visual guide to Oslo circa 1945
German units in Norway during the period, especially Luftwaffe

Btw, I wrote the Operation Doomsday wiki page, so I have all the materials referenced there!

Cheers for any help anyone can give

Last edited:
I just finished Agent Zigzag, the Eddie Chapman biography which goes into a bit of detail on occupied Norway. Probably more in line with worldbuilding than anything too technical but there might be some useful snippets there. I think it might be free on Kindle Unlimited but if not I can always post you my copy.

I just finished Agent Zigzag, the Eddie Chapman biography which goes into a bit of detail on occupied Norway. Probably more in line with worldbuilding than anything too technical but there might be some useful snippets there. I think it might be free on Kindle Unlimited but if not I can always post you my copy.

Hey, cheers! It's not on KU, but I've seen it before in libraries and charity shops - now I'll be on the lookout for a copy

From the thesis, on the (lack of) late-war Luftwaffe strength:

page 253 said:
As an examination of the Luftwaffe effort reveals, due to a dearth of available fighter units the Germans were often only able to put machines into the air in twos and threes

Also from the thesis:

-There was actually a hoard of aviation fuel in Norway for the Allied invasion that never came.
-It still had occasional punch, but on May 1 1945, a Royal Navy strike force was able to hit Norway unopposed.

You might want to see if you can get hold of Airborne Forever by Johnny Peters, who survived Market Garden and then went to Norway for Operation Doomsday.

It's a shame I'm not regularly (or even irregularly) at the National Archives, as there are a good 22 records that reference Operation Doomsday in the title and look interesting. I suppose you could order some of the papers, but potentially costly for a few pages' worth of information.

You might want to see if you can get hold of Airborne Forever by Johnny Peters, who survived Market Garden and then went to Norway for Operation Doomsday.

It's a shame I'm not regularly (or even irregularly) at the National Archives, as there are a good 22 records that reference Operation Doomsday in the title and look interesting. I suppose you could order some of the papers, but potentially costly for a few pages' worth of information.

Cheers mate - looking online it looks as if I'll have to grab it from a random Dutch website, but I need these sort of memoirs

So it’s definitely become apparent to me that this will become a Long-Haul project – not only because I’ve never written anything longer than a vignette before, but also because my writing time is so sparse as to be ridiculous at the moment. However, thanks to the generous advice of @David Flin, I’ve begun by outlining the chapters of Operation Doomsday, and also starting to put together a research booklist that I’ll be purchasing or grabbing from libraries (If anyone has any books on Norway during the Second World War, or anything else relevant to this, I can look at swapping with some of my own collection fyi)

(and thank-you to everyone for their suggestions, especially @Meadow as I had been looking for well-known Norwegian resistance leaders to feature in the story)

Lt. Col. Terence Otway’s formal history of British airborne forces during the conflict has been invaluable in getting down the history of the OTL Operation Doomsday; it’s a very dry account, re-published in 1990 by the Imperial War Museum as a facsimile (back when it was a proper museum, but I digress) but it has all the technical details I need for the opening of the book.

At the moment my main difficulty, history-wise, is ensuring that Norway becomes a last-ditch redoubt rather than the OTL case of ‘Little resistance, the SS commanders shot themselves/blew themselves up, the Wehrmacht were happy to go into POW camps’. That’s why I’m adding a chapter at the start as a Prologue sequence set in the Fuhrerbunker on the 30th April 1945.

However, where one difficulty appears, another one disappears, as OTL made it incredibly easy for 1st Airborne Division to be sent onto the back foot by any form of resistance.

To say that Doomsday was a hasty, near-ramshackle affair would be a polite way of putting it. German representatives were transported from Norway to England on the day of the surrender taken by Monty at Luneberg Heath – apparently as hostages/guarantors of some kind. Meanwhile, the division would go over to Norway in four separate waves. The first would be ‘Heralds’, small parties of pathfinders that would secure the Oslo and Stavanger airfields for the first two waves, set up radio beacons and work perimeter security. Then the first wave would go in – an infantry brigade to Oslo, and an Artillery brigade to Stavanger. The second wave would be additional divisional troops the next day, and the third wave would be an SAS Brigade the day after.

So the division is already being sent over piecemeal and split into two locations when landing. The night of the operation becomes near-farcical in what happens. The Heralds go over as planned, but absolutely nothing is heard from then for more than twelve hours. No radio contact, no messages at all. As the first wave has been loaded up anyway onto Dakotas, there’s apparently a general shrugging of shoulders and they’re sent in – blind, without even any radio beacons for guidance. Barely half of the transports make it to Oslo and Stavanger early that morning – several unfortunately crash into a mountain, many others get lost in thick fog and clouds and land in Britain, France, Germany, Sweden and – in an incredibly impressive feat of navigation that surely even @Mumby would quail at – in Switzerland.

Those that do manage to land unload as quickly as possible end up occupying their assigned airports – but whereas the plan was to march two companies in and around Oslo to show the Norwegians that they’d arrive, and impress on the Germans that the Red Devils had arrived, they in fact only managed to gather together two squads, and therefore had to resort to the age-old trick of marching them through repeatedly with changes of headgear and weapons.

So honestly, the odd Wehrmacht company deciding to get frisky would have been a challenge, let alone what I’m planning to unleash in the novel.

I hope I'm not leaning on the forum too much for this, but the plotting is going well so far, but my main problem is how to actually trigger the Gotterdamerung-style scorched earth campaign in Norway. There's certainly enough historical evidence that the Allies feared it would happen, and elements in the Wehrmacht and SS that would have put into operation such a scheme, but it's the actual triggering event that's causing me problems.

My current thoughts are that Hitler has a fit of anger and decides to order that Norway undergoes the sort of apocalyptic destruction that he ordered for Paris, but which von Choltitz refused to countenance. That part is easy enough - but then it's how to bridge the gap between Hitler giving the order, and the 1st Airborne arriving, piecemeal, in Norway not expecting a fight.

Terboven and others in Norway would obviously enact such an order immediately, if sent via radio - but even if we leave the order being sent until mere hours before Hitler's death on 30th April, there's still a significant gap between then and the 9th May when the division landed; obviously if the SS and others start torching Oslo, Stavanger and other areas, then there's going to be a far more robust reaction than the planned liberation of Norway. Unless perhaps it's a panicky 'Oh shit deploy the paratroopers before everyone's dead' sort of thing?

Having the Fuhrerbunker radios be dead, and therefore the orders have to be sent by paper, has a certain amount of drama behind it, but whoever took the orders would have to get to Norway within a few days, or its pointless and OTL continues as it did. Hanna Reitsch flew out of Berlin on the 28th April on what's considered the last flight out of the capital, but then that's another two days to account for, and it would hardly take more than a week to fly to Norway.

The only other option is Fuhrer Donitz decides to flee to Norway and start the process, whether obeying Hitler or under his own power, but not only would that be more difficult for me to write, but I don't know what Donitz's motivations would be considering that he instantly gave up - the Mitchell and Webb sketch is very on the point for that reason alone.

Having written all of this, the only way I can see this even vaguely being realistic is to go for 'Hitler demands vengeance - Allies panic and throw in 1st Airborne Division until they can do something else' because otherwise the dates just don't add up.

But I'd be more than happy to hear everyone's thoughts - most especially @David Flin and @The Red and @Meadow and anyone else who has knowledge of the period.

One thing I think you'll be up against is why the Germans, even the fanatical Nazis, fight on for any length of time. Even the would-be Werwulfs of Germany proper gave up quite quickly IOTL or shifted focus to saving their own despicable hides by getting to South America etc. Why would a bunch of cut off SS troops, Hitler or no Hitler, dig in and indefinitely fight on?

A back-of-fag-packet answer I have for you right now is 'nothing left to lose'. Maybe the Allies start summary execution of Waffen-SS units (which itself is... not easy to make happen - unless it's an angry one-off reprisal that happens to take place in May 1945 and the SS in Norway panic) and in one instance some Heer troops are 'mistakenly' slaughtered instead. It's getting a bit grimdark at that point but I honestly think this is a big problem you need to sort in advance. You say 'elements in the SS and Wehrmacht would have put into operation such a scheme', and I can believe that – but your story needs to have an answer to the Scottish NCO who says 'reet, we'll just wait a week before they realise the situation's hopeless, aye?'.

One of my favourite TLs is Amerigo Vespucci’s Is Paris Burning? Were Hitler to order a fanatical last stand in the “last fortress of Aryan Europe” (riffing here) I could see things being facilitated to create a Nero scenario in a similar fashion to that TL.

Hitler orders Doenitz to move to Norway alongside all available forces for the last stand. Doenitz is a fanatic but his head is more or less screwed on and dithers.

The Norwegian resistance takes poorly to these rumours and plans an impromptu national uprising. The Swedes only hear whispers of this as do the WAllies, the Soviets are slightly more in the loop but they’re restricted in their ability to actually do anything given Finnmark’s terrain and more pressing operations in Central Europe. By the time Doomsday is going ahead the uprising has just begun and the SS and Wehrmacht are taking it out on all Norwegians they can find, not to mention a random WAllied landing.

One thing I think you'll be up against is why the Germans, even the fanatical Nazis, fight on for any length of time. Even the would-be Werwulfs of Germany proper gave up quite quickly IOTL or shifted focus to saving their own despicable hides by getting to South America etc. Why would a bunch of cut off SS troops, Hitler or no Hitler, dig in and indefinitely fight on?

A back-of-fag-packet answer I have for you right now is 'nothing left to lose'. Maybe the Allies start summary execution of Waffen-SS units (which itself is... not easy to make happen - unless it's an angry one-off reprisal that happens to take place in May 1945 and the SS in Norway panic) and in one instance some Heer troops are 'mistakenly' slaughtered instead. It's getting a bit grimdark at that point but I honestly think this is a big problem you need to sort in advance. You say 'elements in the SS and Wehrmacht would have put into operation such a scheme', and I can believe that – but your story needs to have an answer to the Scottish NCO who says 'reet, we'll just wait a week before they realise the situation's hopeless, aye?'.

Okay, so I've been doing some more frantic thinking and plotting about this and I think I've come up with a semi-plausible framework for all of this. I'm conscious that at some point I just have to go "I'm writing this, minutiae be damned" otherwise I'll enter a self-doubt spiral, but I do want it to not have too many holes to poke in it

(I have a new-found greater level of respect for all SLP authors now btw, especially yourself and Roem, not to mention @Thande and @iainbhx - I'm tying myself in knots over a relatively minor change, I don't know how the hell you guys figure this stuff out)

So I think it's fairly realistic that, in the last few hours of his life, if Hitler was reminded of Norway and the fact that 350,000 troops were sitting pretty doing nothing, and that the Norwegian resistance had always been a thorn in his side, his shattered sanity could go 'let it all burn' - after all, he tried to get von Choltitz to burn Paris in 1944 when he was in far better condition, and made some pretty good attempts to wreck Berlin before Speer called off the worst of it.

And for Norway, there is no Speer or von Choltitz. Instead you have Reichskommissar Terboven and SS-Leader Rediess - and even for dedicated Nazis they're depraved fuckers - even skimming their Wikipedia entries makes me feel faintly nauseous at times. Terboven dynamited himself for fucks sake, which is a pretty fanatical way to go even for the Nazi hierarchy, so I absolutely buy that if Hitler said Norwegen verbrennen then they'd be strapping on the flamethrowers before he even finished speaking, especially as they've got nothing to lose - they're Subjects 1 and 2 for Nuremberg and they know it. General Bohme could be in the role of spoiler, but I have plans for him.

Now I'm not imagining this to be a long-running campaign - by its very nature this is going to be a short but hideous fight - models would be Warsaw 1944 and what was proposed to be done to Paris in '44. A week, ten days at most. There aren't an inexhaustible number of SS after all, and as @David Flin says there's going to be a huge number of your average Hans and Fritz' who are going to fight back, even if only to stop being associated with the nutters.

But given that the Doomsday planning had been in place for months, and 1st Airborne was ready to go by 1st May, it seems logical that if the SS and whoever they've got with them (Quisling and co. maybe, with some Wehrmacht) are dynamiting, burning, and shooting anything and anyone they can get their hands on; Milorg are desperately fighting back and screaming for help; and King Haakon is urging Churchill and Alanbrooke to do something my people are dying then I can see 1st Airborne and anything else they've got being sent into Oslo and Stavanger asap to do whatever they can. "Let them fight" is absolutely a valid point, but I don't think it would stand if Rediess is recreating Warsaw But It's Snowy

Does that seem at least semi-plausible?

Last edited:
Back