• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

NEW RELEASES: Alternate Irelands, Australias, Americas and Englands

Can I get a second opinion on forum rules about wanting Nick Clegg to die horrifically, because Facebook now won't even let me view the new-books post I've just made to pin it on the SLP page.

For a second I thought these were all anthologies and was gobsmacked ready to ask when the Alternate Scotlands, New Zealands, Canadas and Wales' were due.
...I admit I thought the same.

Well, that's our next anthologies sorted after the sports one I accidentally created out of thin air.

Perhaps a quarterly or biannual series of anthologies each focusing on a different country.
Sounds good. Should be easy enough to expand outside the English-speaking world as well, I think we've had a fair few vignettes about France, Germany, etc. (preferably not all WW2 ones). India and China also seem possible, not to mention the New World.

Sounds good. Should be easy enough to expand outside the English-speaking world as well, I think we've had a fair few vignettes about France, Germany, etc. (preferably not all WW2 ones). India and China also seem possible, not to mention the New World.

Off the top of my head there's only been Australia (edited by @Jared) and now Ireland (edited by @Gary Oswald) to be the focus of such anthologies.

So from the confusion earlier today we could add the US, England; and then on top of that Scotland, New Zealand, Canada and Wales. In addition to France and Germany would add Russia and maybe Spain from Europe. India, China and Japan from Asia. That's already 13 possibilities. Hmm, maybe worth an actual discussion thread elsewhere...

Perhaps a quarterly or biannual series of anthologies each focusing on a different country.

I think it would be a good idea. Self-publishing I have done pretty well out of this kind of book. I have done two for Britain, two for the USA, one for France and one for Germany. I had thought of one for Mediterranean countries, rather than Spain, Italy or Greece independently and ones from China and Russia, but could not think up enough scenarios, I usually aim for 18-20 stories per anthology. I also did an anthology of stories set on the persistence of islands in the North Sea which disappeared in the Bronze Age.

The only real complaint I got was once someone said 'the only connection between these stories is that they are all set in Britain'. I do not know what they expected but it did lead me to do anthologies then set around a time period, particularly the First and Second World Wars, but over a geographical spread, which seemed to go down a bit better.

I, of course, would be keenly interested in a China anthology. Could probably even rouse myself to attempt to contribute.

I think it would be interesting to try, given the Chinese law in 2011 banning portraying alternate histories or even time travel as 'disrespectful to history'. Such an anthology might attract some protests or some cyber attacks! I have thought up a few scenarios from having taught some Chinese history so would also be happy to take a shot at contributing.

Stepping away from anthologies, I am very interested, having done a short story and an essay on this kind of scenario to read Bob Mumby's Chasing Shadows. Given developments in the USA in recent years, discussions of potential coups d'etat in the USA has probably reached a new level of interest perhaps not seen since Seven Days in May (1964) or at least since XXX: State of the Union (2005).

Looking forward to this little lot, and big props to @Lord Roem for the pseudo-tapestry look for The Blood and the Ghost

Yes, it was just the kind of thing I was hoping for when I made some suggestions.

I had a great deal of fun with that novel especially the incidental changes like certain English towns not growing as they did in our world, because Alfred was not around to develop them as burghs and how the names would have been altered. It also brought home to me the extent to which, ironically perhaps, the early medieval Welsh kingdoms were the genuine heirs of Romano-British society, for so long. Perhaps a kind of western Byzantium in the Kingdom of Gwynedd would be a scenario for the Welsh anthology.

This is an incredibly exciting line-up that I'll be picking up at the earliest opportunity.

I've always quite enjoyed the anthologies; LORAG is of course an incredible work of spectacular scope, research, and imagination; the Chasing Shadows thread has been sitting open on my computer waiting for me to read it for literally months; and then on top of that we've got Vikings!

Back