• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:
44. Dick Cheney / Sam Brownback (R) - January 20, 2009 - August 16, 2009
'08 def. John Edwards / Bill Richardson (D), Mike Gravel / Ralph Nader (G), 270-265-3 EV / 57,405,425 (45.6%) - 57,783,092 (45.9%) - 8,938,125 (7.1%)
45. Sam Brownback / VACANT then Rick Perry (R) - August 16, 2009 - January 20, 2013
46. George Takei / Joe Biden (D) - January 20, 2013 - ?
'12
def. Sam Brownback / Rick Perry (R), Rod Dreher / Michael Maturen (AS), 537-1-0 EV / 88,464,788 (62.3%) - 43,309,406 (30.5%) - 8,235,887 (5.8%)

Plenty of campaigns have been fumbled in American history. But none more so than the Democrat's dropping of the ball in 2008.

Still, President Cheney governed exactly as you would expect- domestic policy was generally ignored as the US military was prepped for an intervention in Iran. Domestically, the economy would continue to deteriorate, with unemployment reaching 10% by the end of the year. Still, in comparison to his successor Cheney is seen as a rather mediocre figure, and his support for gay marriage well before it became a mainstream political position has led to him being reassessed in recent years.

None of that would have ever happened, however, if not for that aforementioned successor. Sam Brownback is commonly considered one of the worst Presidents in American history, and for good reason. Upon taking office, he would immediately propose a massive tax reform bill that would set a flat tax rate of 15% for all Americans. Even more absurdly, Brownback proposed the complete elimination of child tax credits and the EITC from the American tax code, stating that "all Americans need to have skin in the game".

Almost immediately, massive protests broke out throughout the country, culminating in a "million man march" on Washington D.C. Brownback would threaten to veto any law sent to him by Congress that did not include his domestic program. Theoretically, this put the Democrats in a bind.

However, the Democrats had, in the aftermath of the 2008 election, brought on a brand new leadership team- one that wasn't afraid to play dirty. Under the direction of new DNC chairman James Carville, congressional dems would propose a series of bipartisan bills to give Republicans a choice- filibuster popular laws, or force their deeply unpopular President to veto them. The first law to be proposed under this rule was the Anti-Lynching Act of 2010, which would finally conclude decades of work. The GOP filibustered it. Democrats invoked the nuclear option, sending the bill to President Brownback's desk. He vetoed it.

This would continue throughout the first part of 2010 with the Free School Meals For All Children Act and the Providing Healthcare To Military Families Act, both of which were vetoed. When the government completely ran out of money in March of 2010, Democrats would be forced to negotiate with a coalition of sane(r) Republicans to pass a budget over the President's veto, which would enact massive cuts to things like education and healthcare.

Brownback, for his part, would present his "blueprint to a bright future" only a few weeks after the shutdown ended in May, calling for the privatization of Medicare and Social Security. The legislation proposing these things was introduced in the fall of 2010, corresponding with news from several school districts (largely in red states) that their school years would be cut short due to a lack of funding.

In the 2010 midterms, the American people decided that they had enough of right-wing austerity, and voted accordingly. Democrats surged from 57 to 73 seats in the Senate, and from 256 to 311 in the House. With unemployment at 19.7%, they had their work cut out for them. In the first six months of the Democratic supermajority, bills repealing all of the cuts enacted the previous year were forced into law, and a $600 Billion stimulus package was finally approved.

With all of these accomplishments, it became a question of who-not if- would evict President Brownback from the White House on January 20, 2013. The Democratic primaries would be full of dozens of contenders seeking to take on the besieged President, but many Americans wanted true change- not politicians who reminded them of the duo that had started this mess in the first place. Because of that, many increasingly rallied behind a curious character- actor and activist George Takei.

Taking advantage of the split vote, Takei would romp to a massive victory in Iowa, followed by a narrower (but still decent) victory in New Hampshire. Attempts to "stop" him would prove fruitless, both because of his genuine popularity and because despite his inexperience, he wasn't all that extreme, running as a moderate progressive to the left of previous Democratic nominees but far from the sort of radical who had cost the Democrats the election in 2008.

Takei would wrap up the nomination by May, and would quickly select Delaware Senator Joe Biden as an olive branch to the establishment. President Brownback, seeing no other option, would begin a massive homophobic ad campaign targeting Takei. While this would see some initial success- it would be hopelessly shattered by the Democratic nominee in the presidential debates.

"President Brownback, I'm part of a very large community in America that we've heard you and your running mates speak about with very harsh words last week. Tens of millions of Americans- black and white, rich and poor, rural and urban, from all religions and walks of life- identify as LGBTQ+. Mr. President, can you look me in the eyes and tell me that you believe I, and these millions of Americans represent in your office, are, and I quote, 'all sinners who corrupt our country with disease'? That we are 'going to burn in hell'? That our life and love are 'no better than bestiality and pedophilia'? Mr. President, how can you possibly be President for all Americans when you speak about so many of us with such hatred?!"

With these last-ditch attempts failing, Brownback would all but concede the election in the final days of the campaign, focusing instead on minimizing Republican losses downballot. However, he would even fail at that, as the Democrats would run the table on all levels. Takei would win every single state, minus Nebraska's 3rd District. Democrats would also surge to 83 seats in the Senate, and 339 in the House of Representatives.

President Takei would be sworn in as the 46th President of the United States of America on January 20, 2013. Upon taking office, unemployment was a whopping 15%, the economy was growing at a piecemeal rate, and millions of Americans were languishing in poverty. The new Democratic majorities would leap into action to fix this, passing a massive $1.2 Trillion relief package within Takei's first week in office.

The White House would also announce the "Final New Deal", which would attempt to fix as many issues as possible in the first 100 days of the new administration. These would include the expansion of unemployment benefits, an increase in the minimum wage to a full $15 per hour by 2015, and several hundred billion for infrastructure. To compensate for the increased spending, Congress would also pass a massive tax increase targeted at the wealthy, with the top tax rate being increased from 37% to 45% and new ultra-wealthy brackets of 50% and 55% being added at $1 Million and $10 Million respectively.

The long-time white whale of the Democrats, healthcare reform, would also be tackled in the President's first year. The National Healthcare Act would expand Medicare to cover all American citizens, with out-of-pocket costs being capped and the government being given free reign to negotiate drug and medicine prices. To quash the "high drug prices fund research" question, Takei would also approve over $100 Billion in new funding for medical research over the next decade.

Internationally, Takei would oversee the withdrawal of all US troops from Iraq and the transition to nationbuilding in Afghanistan. The funding freed up from overseas adventures would allow for the passage of paid parental leave, minimum social security benefits (at 125% of the poverty line), and further funding for education. That last part would also lead to the provision of free higher education for all Americans by 2021.
Holy shit, quite the landslide! I'm scared to even ask which Republicans are left in Congress...or who the various Dems are who are now there.

Holy shit, quite the landslide! I'm scared to even ask which Republicans are left in Congress...or who the various Dems are who are now there.
The Republicans left are disproportionately the extreme ones in deep red districts- the Republicans that stood against President Brownback overperformed, but the twin waves were simply too big for them to survive.

As for the Democrats, the Occupy folks actually manage to get a few house seats, while the more classical progressive Feingold types definitely have a plurality of the Democratic caucus. While more blue dogs still exist (since they survived 2010 and 2012, unlike OTL) the majority is big enough that they can't really block everything. Mainstream dems (Hillary, Obama, etc) hold the balance of power.

This is my entry for last month's HoS list challenge! This month's challenge is themed around Shortness, and you've still got three days left to enter!

The Tubes The Gas Comes Down In
Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom:
2022-2024: Rishi Sunak (Conservative)
2024-2029: Keir Starmer (Labour)
def 2024: (Majority) Rishi Sunak (Conservative), Huzma Yousaf (SNP), Ed Davey (Liberal Democrats)
2029-2038: Lee Anderson (Conservative)
def 2029: (Majority) Keir Starmer (Labour), Kate Forbes (SNP), Carla Denyer & Adrian Ramsay (Green), Ed Davey (Liberal Democrats)
2031 Net Zero Repeal Referendum: 57% YES, 43% NO
def 2033: (Majority) Rachel Reeves (Labour), Carla Denyer & Thelma Walker (Greens: The World Transformed) [d76c90], Kate Forbes (SNP), Munira Wilson (Liberal Democrats), no leader (Independent Climate Crisis) [01662f]

2038-2040: Keir Mather (Labour)
def 2038: (Minority dep. on abstaination) Lee Anderson (Conservative), Tom Harwood (Freedom GB), no leader (Action on Extinction), Sakhina Sheikh & Tim Speers (World Transformed), Mairi McAllan (SNP)
2040-2045: Andrew Bendigo (Conservative)
def 2040: (Majority) Keir Mather (Labour), no leader (Action on Extinction), Thom Barnes-Wise & Edwin Grove (World Transformed), Mari McAllan (SNP)
2045-2059: Andrew Bendigo (Conservative leading National Government)
2045: (Majority projected) collective leadership (Extinction Army) def. Andrew Bendigo (Conservative), Addison Lamb (SNP), Rania Ramli (Labour), Sukhpal Gill ("Continuity" World Transformed)
def 2050: (Majority) no Parliamentary opposition
def 2055: (Majority) no Parliamentary opposition

2059-0000: Gen. Ryang Mi-Hyun (UN Climate Reconstruction Mandate: British Isles)

"Grandad, tell us about snow again."

"I don't see why--you kids have seen snow, haven't you? On the telly, last week. There was that big snowstorm in Arkangelsk, that they weren't expecting, and..."

"Yeah, but you've seen real snow. In real life."

"Snow that was here! Outside!"

"It's not all it's cracked up to have been. The ground would freeze--you'd slip and slide all over the place--and you'd need a thick coat to go outside, and the sky would be iron-grey, but you'd barely get any snow. Most of the time, I remember, it was just a sprinkle."

"But what was it like?"

"Cold, just as cold as everything around it. It had a funny taste, a little like metal, but my mother never liked me eating it, and you had to eat a lot to get the taste, so I don't remember it well. What I remember is the light. When you were lying in bed, just before you got up, and you could see out the window that pale light reflecting off the snow, and you knew that..."

"Grandad? You're crying again."

"Sorry, sorry...you know how it is, with memories. Especially ones of things you know you'll never see again."

"How do you know?"

"Yeah! What if someone builds a weather machine? Like in that movie!"

"Blake and Mortimer aren't real, stupid."

"It's even worse when you know it's your fault you'll never see it again."

"Blake and Mortimer went to Tibet, and Tibet's real! So there!"

"That doesn't prove anything, you're being silly, shut up and let granddad tell his story. What makes it your fault, granddad?"

"Well, it's not my fault, exactly. It's everyone's fault--me, and your grandmother's, and my parents', and your uncle Seb's, and old Tom from down the road, and...everyone who was alive at that time, one way or another."

"Oh, granddad's talking about the climate crisis again."

"I can hear you, you know!"

"We've already heard this story. We had to interview you for school about it and everything. You told us about how you'd met some of the Extinction Rebellion Martyrs before they got martyrised--"

"Martyred."

"--you believe in weather machines, shut up, martyrised, and the stupid people who voted against cutting the emissions--that terrible argument you had with Uncle Seb, at the time, about the insects and the pods, as well. You always tell us that story."

"Do I really? Curse of the old man's brain, I'm afraid--repetition."

"And you told us all that stuff about how no-one listened to Hallam, 'til it was too late, and what happened when he took to the streets, and how you nearly got on Flight 79 to New York but your ticket got bumped up, and how you saw Bendigo send the drones into the crowd on the news, and, and the UN, and everything. All of it."

"I know, I know."

"It was good. Mr Darmadi gave me a Double Merit."

"Only the double?"

"He said he didn't like all the stuff you put in about Hallam. Said it was innacurate, that I was slandering him."

"He was a cult leader. And a coward. I was there."

"I know."

"Those poor kids who laid under planes, who burnt themselves alive, who drove dingeys into oil tankers...and Hallam egged them on and sat back."

"I know."

"Say what you like about Bendigo, HaShem only knows, he had the moral fibre to stay in Downing Street right up until the blue helmets marched in, and he sat in the dock for 'high crimes against the future of humanity', right the way though, without any theatrics or bloody hemlo--"

"I know!"

"Sorry, sorry. It's...I don't know. I don't know why he still makes me so angry."

"Mr Darmadi said you didn't like him 'cos he tried to do something, and you just 'wallowed'."

"Rachel!"

"What? It's what he said."

"You can't say that, though! 's rude!"

"Well you think weather machines exist."

"How is that--"

"Your teacher's right, I think."

"Granddad!"

"You don't need to defend me, Dovid. It's all right. Like I said, it's everyone's fault."

"Is it all the same fault, though?"

"Huh?"

"Well, if you feel so bad, doesn't that mean you think it's less of the Extinction Army's fault than it is yours?"

"That's obvio--"

"Yeah! So, isn't it more Bendigo's fault than it is yours? Or Andaman--"

"Anderson."

"--you made graddad sad, shut up, Andaman, for his stupid referendum? Or all the people who were burning oil before you were born? All the people who wrote you off as a stupid kid?"

"Maybe? I don't know. They gave me a mess of a future, I gave you kids one as well. That's all it was, in the end; the old burning the young to stay warm, because the future was a place without them and so it didn't matter. Don't think I get to say I'm much better just for being one of the ones who didn't burn and was lucky enough to not get burnt."

"Maybe you're a little better."

"Maybe."

"Maybe you'll be better still, Dovid, Rachel."

"Maybe."

"...tell us about the supermarkets again."

"Alright. Well, when I was a lad, back before they brought in the National Ration Service, to get food you'd have to go to all kinds of big shops, but there was one very big one..."

This is my entry for last month's HoS list challenge! This month's challenge is themed around Shortness, and you've still got three days left to enter!

The Tubes The Gas Comes Down In
Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom:
2022-2024: Rishi Sunak (Conservative)
2024-2029: Keir Starmer (Labour)
def 2024: (Majority) Rishi Sunak (Conservative), Huzma Yousaf (SNP), Ed Davey (Liberal Democrats)
2029-2038: Lee Anderson (Conservative)
def 2029: (Majority) Keir Starmer (Labour), Kate Forbes (SNP), Carla Denyer & Adrian Ramsay (Green), Ed Davey (Liberal Democrats)
2031 Net Zero Repeal Referendum: 57% YES, 43% NO
def 2033: (Majority) Rachel Reeves (Labour), Carla Denyer & Thelma Walker (Greens: The World Transformed) [d76c90], Kate Forbes (SNP), Munira Wilson (Liberal Democrats), no leader (Independent Climate Crisis) [01662f]

2038-2040: Keir Mather (Labour)
def 2038: (Minority dep. on abstaination) Lee Anderson (Conservative), Tom Harwood (Freedom GB), no leader (Action on Extinction), Sakhina Sheikh & Tim Speers (World Transformed), Mairi McAllan (SNP)
2040-2045: Andrew Bendigo (Conservative)
def 2040: (Majority) Keir Mather (Labour), no leader (Action on Extinction), Thom Barnes-Wise & Edwin Grove (World Transformed), Mari McAllan (SNP)
2045-2059: Andrew Bendigo (Conservative leading National Government)
2045: (Majority projected) collective leadership (Extinction Army) def. Andrew Bendigo (Conservative), Addison Lamb (SNP), Rania Ramli (Labour), Sukhpal Gill ("Continuity" World Transformed)
def 2050: (Majority) no Parliamentary opposition
def 2055: (Majority) no Parliamentary opposition

2059-0000: Gen. Ryang Mi-Hyun (UN Climate Reconstruction Mandate: British Isles)

"Grandad, tell us about snow again."

"I don't see why--you kids have seen snow, haven't you? On the telly, last week. There was that big snowstorm in Arkangelsk, that they weren't expecting, and..."

"Yeah, but you've seen real snow. In real life."

"Snow that was here! Outside!"

"It's not all it's cracked up to have been. The ground would freeze--you'd slip and slide all over the place--and you'd need a thick coat to go outside, and the sky would be iron-grey, but you'd barely get any snow. Most of the time, I remember, it was just a sprinkle."

"But what was it like?"

"Cold, just as cold as everything around it. It had a funny taste, a little like metal, but my mother never liked me eating it, and you had to eat a lot to get the taste, so I don't remember it well. What I remember is the light. When you were lying in bed, just before you got up, and you could see out the window that pale light reflecting off the snow, and you knew that..."

"Grandad? You're crying again."

"Sorry, sorry...you know how it is, with memories. Especially ones of things you know you'll never see again."

"How do you know?"

"Yeah! What if someone builds a weather machine? Like in that movie!"

"Blake and Mortimer aren't real, stupid."

"It's even worse when you know it's your fault you'll never see it again."

"Blake and Mortimer went to Tibet, and Tibet's real! So there!"

"That doesn't prove anything, you're being silly, shut up and let granddad tell his story. What makes it your fault, granddad?"

"Well, it's not my fault, exactly. It's everyone's fault--me, and your grandmother's, and my parents', and your uncle Seb's, and old Tom from down the road, and...everyone who was alive at that time, one way or another."

"Oh, granddad's talking about the climate crisis again."

"I can hear you, you know!"

"We've already heard this story. We had to interview you for school about it and everything. You told us about how you'd met some of the Extinction Rebellion Martyrs before they got martyrised--"

"Martyred."

"--you believe in weather machines, shut up, martyrised, and the stupid people who voted against cutting the emissions--that terrible argument you had with Uncle Seb, at the time, about the insects and the pods, as well. You always tell us that story."

"Do I really? Curse of the old man's brain, I'm afraid--repetition."

"And you told us all that stuff about how no-one listened to Hallam, 'til it was too late, and what happened when he took to the streets, and how you nearly got on Flight 79 to New York but your ticket got bumped up, and how you saw Bendigo send the drones into the crowd on the news, and, and the UN, and everything. All of it."

"I know, I know."

"It was good. Mr Darmadi gave me a Double Merit."

"Only the double?"

"He said he didn't like all the stuff you put in about Hallam. Said it was innacurate, that I was slandering him."

"He was a cult leader. And a coward. I was there."

"I know."

"Those poor kids who laid under planes, who burnt themselves alive, who drove dingeys into oil tankers...and Hallam egged them on and sat back."

"I know."

"Say what you like about Bendigo, HaShem only knows, he had the moral fibre to stay in Downing Street right up until the blue helmets marched in, and he sat in the dock for 'high crimes against the future of humanity', right the way though, without any theatrics or bloody hemlo--"

"I know!"

"Sorry, sorry. It's...I don't know. I don't know why he still makes me so angry."

"Mr Darmadi said you didn't like him 'cos he tried to do something, and you just 'wallowed'."

"Rachel!"

"What? It's what he said."

"You can't say that, though! 's rude!"

"Well you think weather machines exist."

"How is that--"

"Your teacher's right, I think."

"Granddad!"

"You don't need to defend me, Dovid. It's all right. Like I said, it's everyone's fault."

"Is it all the same fault, though?"

"Huh?"

"Well, if you feel so bad, doesn't that mean you think it's less of the Extinction Army's fault than it is yours?"

"That's obvio--"

"Yeah! So, isn't it more Bendigo's fault than it is yours? Or Andaman--"

"Anderson."

"--you made graddad sad, shut up, Andaman, for his stupid referendum? Or all the people who were burning oil before you were born? All the people who wrote you off as a stupid kid?"

"Maybe? I don't know. They gave me a mess of a future, I gave you kids one as well. That's all it was, in the end; the old burning the young to stay warm, because the future was a place without them and so it didn't matter. Don't think I get to say I'm much better just for being one of the ones who didn't burn and was lucky enough to not get burnt."

"Maybe you're a little better."

"Maybe."

"Maybe you'll be better still, Dovid, Rachel."

"Maybe."

"...tell us about the supermarkets again."

"Alright. Well, when I was a lad, back before they brought in the National Ration Service, to get food you'd have to go to all kinds of big shops, but there was one very big one..."
I'm getting choked up ... 🥲

this list changes about once every few days; this is its current iteration.

We Shall Overcome (presidents list as of Feb. 26, 2024; date is January 1, 2050)
format taken directly from @NameNotImportant.
* denotes OCs

[1] Credit to Cascadiawank (AH.com) for this one — 'tis their suggestion that Harris will have difficulty running any VP nominations through an increasingly-Republican Congress, unless they're really moderate or a conservative.
[2] Credit to @Comrade Izaac for this one — 'tis their suggestion that the modern Democratic Party "wouldn't run 2 Hispanic candidates on the same ticket".
[3] The time period between 2036 and c. 2045 or so can be described as "Civil War 1.5", complete with its own Confederacy (albeit lesser in power than the original one), its own Reconstruction, and, yes, its own National Union party.
[4] Inspired by a couple elements from different timelines, including the Memorial Day Putsch from Reagent (AH.com)'s Upon a Cross of Globalism and the "Day of the Rope" from @allthepresidentsmen's American Nightmare.
[5] She also declares an extended campaign known as the People's Contingency, which is enough to bring down the over-extended and haphazardly-organized "Liberated Confederacy of Columbia".
[6] The idea to de-Ossoffize my timeline first came when someone commented "Thank God you didn't use Ossoff" or something to that extent on the Reddit post of my January-February 2032 collage; the final straw came when PlanetaryIceTea (AH.com) made an infobox called "Death of the Overused" which has Brian Kemp defeat Jon Ossoff in 2026.
[7] Also inspired by @allthepresidentsmen; though, to be honest, he took the Realign list that featured Kander from @True Grit.
[8] Also credited to @allthepresidentsmen; this time, it was a list of "post-Trumpist GOP" leaders he sent me on AH.com.
[9] Not explicit here, but there's a lot more minor groups forming across America as the U.S. undergoes the 21st-century version of the collapse of the Democratic-Republican Party, only now it's both the Democratic and Republican Parties.

Democratic (#0000ff)
Republican (#ff0000)
Independent (#a38f84)
Unity (#2969b0)
Common Sense (#f37934)
Patriot (#8855aa)
New Democratic (#54acd2)
Justice (#ff33aa)
National Liberal (#fac51c)
Green (#61bd6d)

46. Fmr. VP Joe Biden of Delaware / Senator Kamala Harris of California (Democratic): January 20, 2021 - May 7, 2026
2020: def. President Donald Trump of Florida / VP Mike Pence of Indiana (Republican)
2024: def. Fmr. President Donald Trump of Florida / Representative Elise Stefanik of New York (Republican) & Environmental lawyer Robert F. Kennedy Jr. of California / Fmr. Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii (Independent)
May 7, 2026: resigns from office due to health concerns​
47. VP Kamala Harris of California / vacant (until July 13, 2026) Representative Jared Golden of Maine (from July 13, 2026) (Democratic): May 7, 2026 - January 20, 2029
July 13, 2026: Jared Golden appointed as VP, roughly along party lines[1]
48. Businessman Vivek Ramaswamy of Ohio / Representative Anna Paulina Luna of Florida (Republican): January 20, 2029 - January 20, 2033
2028: def. President Kamala Harris of California / VP Jared Golden of Maine (Democratic)
May 23, 2032: impeached by House; would later be acquitted by Senate
49. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York / Senator Raphael Warnock[2] of Georgia (Democratic/Unity[3]): January 20, 2033 - January 20, 2041
2032: def. President Vivek Ramaswamy of Ohio / VP Anna Paulina Luna of Florida (Republican)
2036: def. Senator Todd Young of Indiana / Representative Mike Gallagher of Wisconsin (Common Sense) & Far-right political commentator Nick Fuentes of Illinois / Fmr. Representative Anthony Sabatini of Florida (Patriot)
November 6, 2036: secession of the unrecognized Liberated Confederacy of Columbia​
January 20-21, 2037: the January Putsch[4]; Ocasio-Cortez declares a "Unity Party"[5]
February 14, 2037: Patriot Party members barred from future office in the United States​
December 14, 2037: dissolution of the Liberated Confederacy of Columbia​
50. Governor Wes Moore[6] of Maryland (Unity/Justice) / Senator Jason Kander[7] of Missouri (Unity/New Democratic): January 20, 2041 - January 20, 2049
2040: def. Senator Dan Crenshaw of Texas / Representative Mike Lawler of New York (Conservative Alliance)
2044: def. Representative Erin Stewart[8] of Connecticut / Representative Jared Moskowitz of Florida (Conservative Alliance)
July 19, 2046: Unity Party partitioned into Justice, New Democratic, and National Liberal parties as part of the ongoing "Reorganization"
51. Governor Marie Gluesenkamp-Perez of Washington / Senator Luca Brighton of Illinois* (National Liberal): January 20, 2049 - present
2048: def. Representative Maxwell Frost of Florida / Representative Samantha Vang of Minnesota (Justice) & Senator Vera McGillis of California* / Governor Chelsea Gardner of Michigan* (New Democratic) & Senator Pat Wrightley of Indiana* / Senator Max Miller of Oregon (Conservative Alliance) & Environmental activist Greta Jacobs of Mississippi* / Civil rights advocate Alan M. Jacinto of Arizona* (Green)
September 5, 2049: Conservative Alliance partitioned into Christian Democratic and United Libertarian parties as part of the ongoing "Reorganization"[9]

"The Strange Rebirth of Liberal England"

Ramsay MacDonald (Labour minority) 1929-1934

1929 [min.]: def. Stanley Baldwin (Conservative) and David Lloyd George (Liberal)
Stanley Baldwin (Conservative majority) 1934-1937
1934 [maj.]: def. Herbert Samuel (Liberal), Ramsay MacDonald (Labour) and James Maxton & Oswald Mosley (New Labour)
Neville Chamberlain (Conservative majority, then Wartime Government) 1937-1940
1939 [maj.]: def. Richard Dyke Acland (Liberal), Malcolm MacDonald (Labour) and James Maxton & Oswald Mosley (New Labour)
Lord Eustace Percy (Conservative-led Wartime Government, then Conservative majority) 1940-1945
Richard Dyke Acland (Liberal majority) 1945-????

1945 [maj.]: def. Lord Eustace Percy (Conservative) and Harold Nicolson (Labour)

The Great Slump sank further and further, and as Chancellor Philip Snowden announced his budget of 1933, the left grew to despair. Was this truly it? Talk of a National Government never went anywhere, instead Britain was treated to the unedifying spectacle of Asquith's belief that Labour would implode once in power being confirmed. The ILP under Maxton and the 'New Party' under Mosley, both exiles from the Gladstonian path of Labour, would announce an electoral pact, 'New Labour', and rallied behind them the disaffected radicals.

When the executioner's axe of the 1934 election finally came for Labour, it was brutal. New Labour split their voters, many trade unions struggled to convince their increasingly-impoverished workers that (the now visibly dying) MacDonald deserved re-election, and Herbert Samuel woke up one day with 80 plus seats and Opposition to a seemingly hegemonic Conservative Party under returning Stanley Baldwin.

The economy started to stagger back towards the sunlit uplands under Baldwin, but the growth was pitiful. Multiple 'Crusades' emboldened New Labour while Malcolm MacDonald failed to reunite the party under him - many alleged that he was chosen by his father on his deathbed. Richard Dyke Acland, ultimate creature of 'New Liberalism', drove the party further left [much to others' displeasure] and wrapped himself in the ideas of Keynesianism and corporatism, which worked to sell the public on the Liberals not as the party that propped up a failing government, but as a real change. The 1939 election drove the Liberals further up, beyond what a reunited Labour Party would get. The 'old gang' was now back on top.

The war, we all know the dynamics, we all know how Chamberlain stepped down and Percy stepped up, how the Wartime Coalition notoriously had the Liberals refuse to enter the proposed 'electoral truce' and so relations between him and Percy remained strained, and how the two nevertheless worked through this along with (now reunited) Labour's Nicolson [who would prove the 'great conciliator', ironically enough].

After the war, an exhausted Britain went to the polls and looked back on everything since the last war...

And voted Liberal. What else?

l thought of a "how about we do an ironic reversal of the American Revolution, where Britain does it instead", and then elaborated that to "WW1 does even worse, Empire falls apart, Roosevelt [always high on Anglo-Saxonism] annexes UK to stop the rising socialist revolution and well, yeah.

Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (-1920)
H. H. Asquith (Liberal majority, then minority) 1908-1914*

Jan. 1910 [min.]: def. Arthur Balfour (Conservative/Liberal Unionist), John Redmond (IPP), Arthur Henderson (Labour), William O'Brien (All-for-Ireland)
Dec. 1910 [min.]: def. Arthur Balfour (Conservative/Liberal Unionist), John Redmond (IPP), George Nicoll Barnes (Labour)
Edward Grey (Liberal minority) 1914-1916
Richard Haldane (Liberal-led Wartime Cabinet [Liberal,
Conservative, Liberal Unionist, Labour]) 1916-1919
Waldorf Astor (Conservative-led Wartime Cabinet [Liberal, Conservative, Liberal Unionist, Labour]) 1919*
A. V. Dicey (Liberal Unionist-led Wartime Cabinet [Liberal, Conservative, Liberal Unionist]) 1919-1920

Governors-General of the United States Military Administration of the British Isles (1920-1927)
Leonard Wood (Republican) 1920-1924
[appointed by President Theodore Roosevelt]
Max Aitken ('Wasps') 1924-1925 [Acting, as 'Principal Secretary']
Robert Lee Bullard (Independent) 1925-1927 [appointed by President Leonard Wood]

Governors-General of the Commonwealth of the British Isles (1927-1947)
Robert Lee Bullard (Independent) 1927-1933
[appointed by President Leonard Wood]
Robert Coontz (Democratic) 1933-1935* [appointed by President Bennett Champ Clark]
Leo Amery (Liberal) 1935 [as Speaker of the House of Representatives]
Douglas MacArthur (Independent) 1935-1947 [appointed by President Bennett Champ Clark]

Stewards of the Restored Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1945) [never recognised]
"Mr. Chips" (League of Hope and Glory) 1945* [pseudonym for Henry Channon]

Governors of the State of Great Britain (1947-1982)
Archibald Maule Ramsay (Liberal) 1947-1951

1946: def. Honor Balfour (People's Democratic), "Mr. Chips" (League of Hope and Glory) [write-in]
Don Bennett (Liberal) 1951-1967
1950: def. Honor Balfour (People's Democratic)
1954: def. Ernest Percy (People's Democratic)
1958: def. Clement Davies (People's Democratic)
1962: def. unopposed (Jack Powell (People's Democratic) disqualified)
Emlyn Hooson (Liberal) 1967-1969* [assassinated by "Zakhmi Dil"]
1966: def. unopposed (Jim Wilson (People's Democratic) disqualified)
Julian Amery (Liberal) 1969-1975
1970: def. Harold Macmillan (People's Democratic)
Maxwell D. Taylor (Independent) 1975-1980*
1974: def. unopposed (no other candidates permitted to stand)
1978: def. unopposed (no other candidates permitted to stand)
Cord Meyer (Independent) 1980-1982

Commanding General of the People's Liberation Army of Great Britain (1976-1982)
Denis Healey (People's Democratic) 1976-1982

Prime Ministers of the Liberated Republic of Great Britain (1982-present)
Denis Healey (People's Democratic majority) 1982-1985

1982 [maj.]: def. Michael Cato (Socialist Labour), Jack Powell (Communist), John Biggs-Davison (Liberal), Jim Sillars (Scots Wha Hae!)
Maurice Macmillan (People's Democratic majority) 1985-1989*
1986 [maj.]: def. Donald Dewar (Socialist Labour), Jack Powell (Communist), Neil Hamilton (Liberal), Colin Boyd (Scots Wha Hae!)
Denis Healey (People's Democratic majority) 1989-1991
Deborah Mitford (People's Democratic majority) 1991-2000

1991 [maj.]: def. Donald Dewar (Socialist Labour), Jack Powell (Communist), Neil Hamilton (Liberal)
1995 [maj.]: def. Donald Dewar (Socialist Labour), Frank Field (Communist), Neil Hamilton (Liberal), Jack Rees-Mogg (Economic Democrats)
Jack Rees-Mogg (Economic Democrat-led coalition [Socialist Labour, Communist, Economic Democrats]) 2000-????
2000 [coal.]: def. Deborah Mitford (People's Democratic), John Prescott (Socialist Labour), Frank Field (Communist), no unified leader (Liberal)

As the PDP, the party of the British Revolution, is finally thrown out of government by an eclectic left-wing coalition led by a thirtysomething libertarian socialist son of a famous martyr for British independence, talk of joining the Euro-Pact has increased. Liberals of course oppose it, but they're finally falling apart, while the PDP is made up of prominent veterans of the struggle while they appreciated all the Soviet roubles, did not trust them one bit. But the opposition in the SLP, Communists [of course] and Economic Democrats all are broadly for it.

The President of America has visited for the first time since British independence, and has received a very frosty reception. She has tried to make her speeches all about reconciliation, remembrance and even knelt at the grave of the Unknown Briton [a very big thing to do], but President Whitman will go home quite frustrated. It is not yet time for Anglo-American reconciliation, and every British politician knows this.

There's just too many unmarked graves, too many families with a permanent hole in them, and every Briton knows the only reason Healey and the Liberation Army even managed to get the Yanks to finally fuck off was because the Soviets escalated it to a nuclear crisis and America blinked, the final blow in their belief that they could win the 'Cold War' (a struggle always favouring the Soviets, really).

British independence, so hard-won, is jealously guarded from any perceived enemies. This unsceptred isle is one of deep mistrust.

Current Political Parties
People's Democratic Party (PDP)
The long-suffering opposition to American misrule, they now enjoy the dominant position in a multi-party Britain, but what do they even stand for? Well, half of all trade unions back them, as well as the growing corporations. They're very much corporatist, really.

Socialist Labour Party (SLP)
The party the other half of the trade unions back, they're very much the "establishment opposition". Voters tend considerably younger.

Communist Party of Great Britain (CPGB)
A very eclectic party, being both for heavy restrictions on emigration [and immigration, but Britain hasn't exactly been attractive for those as is] and strong social liberalisation, being a party known for championing radical social reforms. Oh yeah and it's still very much Marxist.

Economic Democrats (EcoDem)
Truth be told, the voters voted for the man, not the party. Only about 10% understand what 'economic democracy' even means.

Liberal Party
Even though it sometimes claims to be the party of Gladstone or Asquith, everyone knows it's a party hollowed out by American military officers and handed over to people they believed would be co-operative with American rule. Which tended to be the very right-wing people.

A vague idea I had:

List of Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom
1964-1974: Harold Wilson (Labour)
1964 def: Alec Douglas-Home (Conservative), Jo Grimond (Liberal)
1966 def: Edward Heath (Conservative), Jo Grimond (Liberal)
1970 def: Edward Heath (Conservative), Enoch Powell (Congress), Jeremy Thorpe (Liberal)

1974-1977: Edward Heath (Conservative leading Conservative-Liberal coalition)
1974 def: Harold Wilson (Labour), Enoch Powell (Congress), Jeremy Thorpe (Liberal)
1977-1980: Enoch Powell (Congress minority)
1977 def: Michael Foot (Labour), Edward Heath (Conservative), Jo Grimond (Liberal)
1980-1988: Peter Shore (Labour)
1980 def: Jim Prior (Conservative), Enoch Powell (Congress), David Steel (Liberal)
1984 def: Margaret Thatcher (Liberal-Conservative), Norman Tebbit (Congress)

1988-1989: Jack Cunningham (Labour)
1989-????: Michael Heseltine (Liberal-Conservative)
1989 def: Jack Cunningham (Labour), Alan Clark (Congress)

Enoch Powell is expelled from the Conservative Party over the Rivers of Blood speech and leads a breakaway faction of the party. In order to mitigate accusations of anti-Asian racism, rather than terminology associated with the NF or imperial nostalgia his group adopt the name 'British National Congress' in imitation of India's ruling party. Powell claims that, like Gandhi, he seeks to throw out Britain's 'colonial oppressor', the United States, and describes the EEC as the lackeys of American economic hegemony.

The Conservatives do not get any unexpected boost from Powell in 1970, conversely his party splits the vote in many seats and allows Wilson to win a second term despite a considerably reduced popular vote for Labour. By 1977, with the country falling apart from strikes and an unpopular IMF bailout austerity package, the government's majority has been whittled away by by-elections. Edward Heath organises a pact with Jeremy Thorpe to stand down candidates, and between them they are able to scrape a 'Pro-European Coalition' majority. Heath's assurances that EEC membership will be a panacea to cure all Britain's problems are undermined by uncertain backbenchers, and UK entry negotiations ultimately collapse when Thorpe is indicted for attempted murder and the government loses its effective majority.

With Michael Foot's Labour seen as an unwanted return to the endemic industrial disputes of a few years earlier, but the Conservatives and Liberals tainted by 'British Watergate' attempts to cover up Thorpe's crimes, Congress narrowly scrapes its way to a minority, shocking the world. Powell is undermined as PM from day one by his own limited leadership skills, a host of ineffectual and ill-vetted Congress MPs with skeletons in their cupboards, a hostile tone from parts of the media and much of the establishment (and even a subtle one from the Queen), and the fact that the reality of him in Number Ten does not live up (or down) to the expectations of those who voted for him to "send the P***s back". Indeed, far from imperial nostalgia, Powell's economic views lead him to drastically further reduce military commitments abroad and decolonise a number of remaining British overseas territories. Though he scales down his plan to leave NATO, instead adopting a French-style limited withdrawal from its unified command structure, he leaves the UK isolated. Indeed, Powellism is frequently compared to a more free-market oriented, British version of Gaullism. One autarkic exception, and a rare positive in hindsight of the Powell government, is a move towards energy self-sufficiency for the UK via the building of nuclear reactors on the French model.

Ultimately the Powell government collapsed when the Argentine junta, seeking an easy victory to distract from economic crisis, occupied the Falkland Islands unopposed in 1980 following RN cutbacks. Powell was unable to offer anything more than rhetoric in response, with President Edward Kennedy openly recognising the islands as Argentine and effectively presenting a fait accompli at the UN. In the ensuing election, Congress fell to less than 100 seats, while the Conservatives and Liberals again practised a pro-European electoral pact. However, illustrating that the public had been unimpressed with the Franco-German response to the Argentine invasion (and the high-profile fact that the Argentines were using French equipment - albeit British equipment too!) instead a Labour government was elected under Peter Shore. Shore adeptly bridged and reconciled a continued (albeit more moderate) Euroscepticism while going against the free-market excesses of Powellism and gradually rebuilding relations with the United States.

The 1980s in the UK would be defined by Shore and his 'Patriotic Labour' economic and foreign policy stance. Meanwhile, the Conservatives and Liberals adopted a final party merger, the end result of the repeated integration of breakaway Liberal factions into the Conservatives since 1886. The term 'Liberal-Conservative' is a media creation that has yet to become official (reflecting the very different party numbers, the merged party is officially called the Conservative, Liberal and Unionist Party, the acronym CLUP being much mocked by satirists). Shore chose to retire in 1988 following the collapse of the Soviet Union and the effective end of the Cold War. Caught up by utopian visions of the future symbolised by the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany, the public elected a Liberal-Conservative government which, once again, now seeks to try to bring Britain into what is now called United Europe.

Last edited:
1989 - 1991: Toshiki Kaifu (Liberal Democratic)
1990 (Majority) def. Takako Doi (Socialist), Kōshirō Ishida (Kōmeitō), Tetsuzo Fuwa (Communist), Eiichi Nagasue (Democratic Socialist)
1991 - 1993: Michio Watanabe (Liberal Democratic Majority)
1993 - 1994: Yōhei Kōno (Liberal Democratic Majority)

1994 - 1996: Sadao Yamahana (New Democratic)

1994 (Coalition) def. Yōhei Kōno (Liberal Democratic), Kōshirō Ishida (Kōmietō), Morihiro Hosokawa (New), Tetsuzo Fuwa (Communist), Masayoshi Takemura (New Harbringer)
1996 - 1998: Takahiro Yokomichi (New Democratic leading ‘Constitutional Coalition’)
1998 - : Koichi Kato (Liberal Democratic)

1998 (Majority) def. Takahiro Yokomichi (New Democratic), Takenori Kanzaki (Kōmietō), Tetsuzo Fuwa (Communist), Shoichi Ide (New Harbringer)

- Kaifu is ousted by internal fighting, Miyazawa doesn't do his persuasive Press Conference and Ichiro Ozawa (who is unable to run for health reasons) is able to persuade members to support Watanabe who was his personal choice. Watanabe is able to keep the Liberal Democratic Party begrudgingly in power, but mainly due to letting in members of the Reformist wings of the party into his cabinet. Additionally Watanabe's health problems cause him to be in the long term a rather ineffectual Prime Minister whilst he's in office, with the Japanese Economy suffering under his watch but no one having particular sway to force him out.

- The Socialist Party despite making gains, is a old fashioned, creaking, collapsing mess. Takako Doi resigns after Japanese parliament supports sending troops (even in a non-combatant capacity) to Iraq, Makoto Tanabe oversees a fairly limp increase for the Councillors election and even this seemingly respectable party has some tarnish from the Recruit Scandal. Fearing being overtaken by other emerging Reformist forces, like the Kennedyesque Morihiro Hosokawa leading the New Party or the disgruntled Masayoshi Takemura and the New Harbringer party emerging as prominent parties. Seeing the potential collapse of Socialists in the future, Sadao Yamahana proposes an alliance with Reformists forces but the Left of the Party drags it's feet on the matter. Realising the Left of the Party (which Yamahana claimed to be once part of) won't budge on further reforms, the Right and the Centre of the Party lead by Yamahana form there own party with the similar minded Democratic Reform party and Democratic Socialist members who didn't leave to the New Party or even join the Liberal Democratic Party. The New Democratic Union, a broadly Centre Left party based on ideals of 'Social Democracy' is formed in the beginning of 1993, and enters into political alliance with 'Constitutional' forces. The remains of the Socialists trundle along, but by the end of 1993 most resign, join the Reformist parties, or occasionally join the Communists.

- Watanbe is forced to resign over his health issues, with the Liberal Democratic Party continuing to suffer infighting, Yōhei Kōno is able to gain support as the 'Reformist' Candidate who promises to rejuvenate the broken Liberal Democratic Image. Whilst Kōno is spirited and popular politician, the Liberal Democratic party is a tarnished mess and his attempt to bring about Anti-Corruption Bills and changes to the party structure crash on the shores of the Party Apparatus. In the Spring of 1994, after his fiscal budget is voted against, Kōno oversees the party going into an election.

- The Reformist Parties electoral strategy and the Liberal Democratic Party's own internal infighting, combined with a Japanese population sick of economic malaise and a poor job market leads to the Liberal Democratic Party losing power for the first time since 1955 as the 'Constitutional Coalition' as some dub it wins a significant majority of the seats in Parliament. Whilst almost immediately figures like Hosokawa try to jockey to the top of the pack, in the end Yamahana is able to form a Government and become Prime Minster.

- Yamahana is initially fairly popular, Political Reform like Anti-Corruption Bills, changing of the Japanese Electoral System to Single Seat Constituency system (along with List Proportional System to keep the smaller parties happy) and the creation of a Independent Electoral Commission to help oversee the redrawing of districts helps a lot to combat the worst excesses of the 1955 System. But Economic Recovery is sluggish and disagreement on Japan’s future on the World Stage continues, as the more Internationalist, Neoconservative members of the New Party but heads with there more Internal Minded Colleagues. In the end, a political scandal involving Hosokawa and connections to potentially dodgy trucking company would lead to Hosokawa’s resignation which would kick off the Sagawa Express Scandal and soon afterwards the collapse of the New Party with several members drifting back to the LDP.

- Despite this though the LDP is unable to form a coherent strategy to oust the New Democratic Party. The Iron Triangle begins to unravel, and as several former corrupt politicians are forced to resign, it seems the once strong LDP is collapsing. In the end the election of Keizō Obuchi helps to stem the bleeding for a little while, as he sets about the reverse the parties misfortune.

- In the end, Yamahana legacy would end up being mixed. Whilst able to institute the political reforms he wanted and ensure the End of Liberal Democratic domination, beyond that his tenure is a bit of a mess. Anger at a unpopular tax nearly forces him out of power, but the 1995 Kantō Earthquake ensures him to remain in power, his response to the Quake is considered fairly positive and ensures he continues on for a while longer.

- Takemura is a stubborn Minister of Finance, whose belief in creating a “sparkling small country” and a ‘politics rid of money’ rankled international investors and big business who were needed to help in the revival of the Japanese Economy, additionally unpopular taxes whilst able to help fund the creation of a sturdy welfare state, always went down like a cup of cold sick with the electorate. Still the coalition managed to hold, and reforms on trade union law, gender discrimination and the introduction of Social Democratic elements into Japan would be some saving graces. Additionally a crackdown on Religious Extremists like Aum Shinrikyo and Right Wing Extremists following a series of murders and terrorist incidents ranging from assassination attempts against the Governor of Tokyo to the Matsumoto Incident.

- In the end Yamahana is forced out of power due to an increase in the consumption tax that causes the parties poll ratings to plummet. He bows out and is after a competitive leadership election, former Governor of Hokkaido and popular Social Democratic politician Takahiro Yokomichi becomes leader of the New Democratic Union and Prime Minister.

- Yokomichi continues the same reformist policies as his predecessor and continues to uphold the constitution when it comes to international matters, particularly he interacts and forges new trade deals the Chinese, South Korean and Russian governments. Despite this though the New Democratic Union government polling is still somewhat down, though it stabilises even after the election of Koichi Kato as the new LDP leader, who’s vigorous opposition forces Yokomichi to be vigorous in his campaigning.

- The 1998 Campaign for Parliament is harsh, the new political system ushering in new constituencies, candidates and campaigning styles. Old fashioned hustings mixed in with media blitzes inspired by the European style politicking. In the end, the New Democratic Union lose the election, with the LDP gaining a firm if less large majority than they would have seen previously. Koichi Kato, with the help of the disgruntled Kōno has managed to reform and reorganise the LDP towards the 21st Century. But not everyone is happy with the move, and Kato is less of the unblemished figure he wants to paint himself as, as past infractions emerge to haunt him.

- Meanwhile the New Democratic Union looks forward, whilst Yokomichi isn’t an old political has been by Japanese standards, even he’s unsure as to his future. Yamahana’s abrupt death shocks many and the future of the New Democratic Union is up in the air. Certainly figures like Hirotaka Akamatsu are making noises within there factions to prepare for upcoming leadership elections and some are pondering if Yokomichi will resign to become a backroom dealer. Meanwhile a younger generation, lead by figures like Kiyomi Tsujimoto push for the new generation of Social Democrats to take the wheel and to forge a new destiny for Japan.

@Kaddeus

Finally found a way for an actual Centre Left Japanese party to take over, additionally a somewhat more coherent party than what the Socialists were and what the Democratic Party became.

1859-1866: Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston† (Liberal)
1859 (Minority) def. Edward Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (Conservative)
1861 – Declaration of European Neutrality in the American Civil War; Trent Affair
1862 – Withdraw of British Support from the Mexican Intervention
1863 – French Recognition of the C.S.A. after the Battles of Gettysburg and Westminster; Reiteration of British Neutrality in North America; Napoleon III’s intervention in the American Civil War
1864 – French Invasion of New Orleans; General George McClellan elected President of the United States after the Republican Party splits; Paraguayan War begins; Sherman’s March halted at Atlanta
1865 (Majority) def. Edward Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (Conservative)
1865 – Battle of Germantown leads to the withdrawal of the Confederates behind the Potomac; Second Schleswig War; Osborne House Conference; The Gladstone Affair; Treaty of Portsmouth ends the American Civil War with the South securing independence

1866-1868: John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (Liberal)
1866 – Austro-Prussian War; Reform Act of 1866; British North America Act; Great Britian officially recognizes the Confederate States of America; Assassination of President McClellan, he is succeeded by Vice President Horation Seymour
1867 – Factory Act; The Alaskan Controversy; General Robert E. Lee soundly defeats Jefferson Davis in the Confederacy’s first peacetime election; French troops withdraw from Mexico after stabilising Emperor Maximillian’s rule with Confederate assistance

1868-1869: Edward Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby† (Conservative Minority)
1868 – Napier’s Expedition to Abyssinia; despite continued splits in the Republican Party, Horatio Seymour is defeated and replaced by the Radical Democracy candidate Benjamin Wade; Suspension of work on the Transcontinental Railroad after the Judah and Credit Mobilier Scandals
1869-1871: Benjamin Disraeli (Conservative)
1869 (Majority) def. Robert Lowe, 1st Viscount Sherbrooke (Liberal)
1869 – Elementary Education Act; Trade Union Act
1870 – Establishment of Secret Ballot in England; Franco-Prussian War; Napoleon III forced to abdicate by the Maréchals, establishment of the Third French Republic

1871-1872: Robert Lowe, 1st Viscount Sherbrooke (Liberal)
1871 (Minority) def. Benjamin Disraeli (Conservative)
1871 – British Columbia incorporated into the Dominion of Canada; Beginning of the Canadian Transcontinental Railroad; Death of Queen Victoria; Disestablishment of the Church of Ireland

1872-1881: Benjamin Disraeli† (Conservative)
1872 (Majority) def. Robert Lowe, 1st Viscount Sherbrooke (Liberal)
1872 – Coronation of King Albert I Edward; Licensing Act of 1872; Hampton Reforms to the British Army; the reunited Republican Party elects Supreme Court Judge David Davis as President of the United States
1873 – Robert E. Lee steps down as Confederate President, replaced by Nathan Bedford Forrest
1874 – Spanish-Confederate War, loss of all Spanish colonies in the Caribbean; The Great Balkan Crisis; Hawaii becomes a protectorate of the United States after rebuffing British advances; The “Comanche Campaign” ends with the ethnic cleansing of Comanche Indians from Texas
1875 – British Purchase of the Suez Canal; Balkan uprisings against the Ottoman Empire
1876 – Emperor of India Act, Albert I Edward travels to India for the first Imperial Durbar; Samuel J. Tilden elected President of the U.S.A., first to serve from the nation’s new capital in Columbus, Ohio
1877 – Russo-Turkish War; Congress of Berlin; Canadian Transcontinental Railroad Completed, linking Vancouver to Quebec, an extension to Halifax begins construction.
1878 (Majority) def. Robert Lowe, 1st Viscount Sherbrooke (Liberal); Isaac Butt (Home Rule League)
1879 – Anglo-Zulu War; Second Anglo-Afghan War, Britain retains a garrison at Kandahar; War of the Pacific

1881-1885: Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury (Conservative)
1881 – Tsar Alexander II survives an attempt on his life; The Boer War begins between Britain and the Boer Republics; League of the Three Emperor’s ends
1882 – Anglo-Egyptian War, Britain becomes the dominant power in the region over French and Turkish objections
1884 (Minority) def. William Ewart Gladstone (Liberal); Charles Stewart Parnell (IPP)
1884 – British representatives negotiate a white peace in the First Sino-French War; Austro-French Alliance signed in Vienna; General Gordon is dispatched to repress the Mahdists Revolt in Sudan; conservative Democrat Winfield Hancock is elected President, succeeding the liberal Samuel Tilden

1885-1887: William Ewart Gladstone (Liberal)
1885 (Majority) def. Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury (Conservative); Charles Stewart Parnell (IPP)
1885 – The Relief of Khartoum saves General Gordon and his army; British control of both Egypt and Sudan permanently alienates Britain and the Ottomans; Death of Prince Albert; James Longstreet is elected President of the C.S.A. and begins the slow emancipation of Dixie’s Slaves; King Leopold II of Belgium establishes the Congo Free State as private property

1887-1888: Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury (Conservative)
1887 – Russo-German alliance signed; General Georges Boulanger elected President of the Third Republic; End of the Fenian Raids after decisive clash in Manitoba, U.S. President Hancock deploys Federal troops to the Black Hills to round up remaining Fenians, repatriating many to England for trial; First Irish Home Rule Bill is killed in House of Commons, Gladstone resigns
1888-1894: William Ewart Gladstone (Liberal)
1888 (Majority) def. Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury (Conservative); Charles Stewart Parnell (IPP)
1888 – Start of the Last Indian War after the Apache Geronimo escapes his reservation, sparking uprisings of native tribes across the Great Plains for several years; Anglo-Boer War leads to the annexation of the Boer Republics; Kaiser Wilhelm I dies, the coronation of Fredrich III is delayed as he recovers from his cancer operation
1890 – Treaty of Lisbon resolves Portuguese disputes with Britain in Africa, securing its sovereignty over land north of the Zambezi and linking Angola and Mozambique by land; Second Sino-French War ends in French victory, annexing the Tonkin Gulf, the Leizhou Peninsula and Hainan as colonies; Bismarck is dismissed by Kaiser Fredrich and a more liberal coalition under Eugen Richter takes power; the Royal Navy adopts the two-power standard
1892 – Spanish-Moroccan War leads to the deposing of the Sultan and establishment of a Spanish protectorate; Reforming Russian Tsar Alexander II dies, his son and successor Alexander III disbands the State Duma and restores Absolutist Tsarism
1894 (Majority) def. Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury (Conservative); Charles Stewart Parnell (IPP)
1894 – Second Irish Home Rule Bill fails to pass the House of Commons; Gladstone resigns as Prime Minister to prevent a split in the Liberal Party

1894-1897: William Harcourt (Liberal)
1894 – The Dreyfus Affair leads to a crackdown by President Boulanger, imposing greater restrictions on the Third Republic
1895 – Sino-Japanese War signals the arrival of Japan on the world stage; Tsar Alexander III is assassinated, his son succeeds him as Nicholas II; Kaiser Fredrich III succumbs to pneumonia, his son Wilhelm II succeeds him; President Boulanger’s health begins to decline, fearing for the stability of France without him Philippe, Count of Paris, is summoned back to France and preparations made to restore the Bourbons

1897-1906: Joseph Chamberlain (‘Ministry of All Talents’)
1897 (Coalition w/ some Conservative and some Liberal) def. Lord Randolph Churchill (Conservative); William Harcourt (Liberal); John Redmond (IPP)
1897 – The Third attempt to pass Irish Home Rule, an election gives neither Party a majority, and the King summons Joseph Chamberlain to form a coalition ministry; a French-Confederate consortium begins groundwork on a canal through the Isthmus of Panama; Alfonso XIII and Philippe VII sign an alliance treaty between Spain and France
1898 – Philippe VII of France is assassinated, the Duke of Orleans is crowned Philippe VIII
1901 – The End of the Boxer Rebellion; Oceania Act amalgamates the British colonies of Australia, Westralia, and New Zealand into the Empire’s second autonomous Dominion; the French naval plan begins to strain Anglo-French relations
1902 (Coalition w/ Conservative and Unionist Liberal) def. Lord Randolph Churchill (Conservative); Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (Liberal); John Redmond (IPP); Spencer Cavendish, 8th Duke of Devonshire (Unionist Liberal); Keir Hardie (Labour Representative Council)
1902 – Anglo-Japanese alliance is signed in London; Anglo-German alliance signed in Berlin; the Liberal Party splits on Tarriff reform, Chamberlain calls an election that keeps him in power in coalition between the Conservatives and his pro-Tarriff Unionist supporters
1904 – The Panama Canal completes construction, with France securing the controlling interest; Theodore Roosevelt is elected President of the United States, the first Progressive leader in North America; Russo-Japanese War leads permanent Japanese control over Korea and the leading interest in Manchuria; King Albert I Edward tours North America, meeting future Presidents Wilson and Bryan, and President Roosevelt; Confederation of South Africa becomes an independent Dominion in the British Empire
1905 – Franco-Turkish Alliance signed in Constantinople; 1905 Revolution almost topples Tsarism in Russia, Nicholas II restores the Duma and make other concessions to retain his rule; HMS Dreadnought is launched, triggering a global naval arms race, most intently felt by France and Britain

1906-: Austen Chamberlain (Unionist ‘Caretaker’)
1906-1908: Spencer Cavendish, 8th Duke of Devonshire† (Unionist Liberal)
1906 (Coalition w/ Conservative and Unionist Liberal) def. Lord George Hamilton (Conservative); Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (Liberal); John Redmond (IPP); Austen Chamberlain (Unionist Liberal); Keir Hardie (Labour Representative Council)
1906 – Joseph Chamberlain suffers a stroke, and resigns, his son Austen does not hold the confidence of the Cabinet and is soon replaced by the Duke of Devonshire; Anglo-German Naval Agreement leads to a massive expansion of the German fleet, giving the allies a theoretical four power standard by 1920

1908-1909: Lord George Hamilton (Conservative)
1909-????: H.H. Asquith (Liberal)
1909 (Majority) def. Lord George Hamilton (Conservative); John Redmond (IPP); Austen Chamberlain (Unionist Liberal); David Shackleton (Labour)
1909 – Theodore Roosevelt’s second inauguration, the first Republican to serve two terms in office; Anglo-Russian Agreement signed, resolving differences in Central Asia; the increasingly weak Unionist government collapses, the Liberals form a new government under Asquith; Woodrow Wilson is elected Confederate President, a Progressive ‘New Whig’; New French naval plan scales back dreadnought production, concentrating on commerce raiders
1911 – Russian Prime Minister Pytor Stolypin is assassinated creating a power vacuum; Revolution topples the Qing dynasty in China; King-Emperor Albert I Edward dies, succeeded by his son Albert II Victor, his funeral is the largest assembly of crowned heads in History
1912 – Unionist Liberals officially integrate with the Conservative Party; The May Days – after a failed coup in Serbia leads to the assassination of Nikola Pašić, and Europe spirals into war between the Triple Alliance (Britain, Germany and Russia) and the Entente (France, Spain, Turkey and Austria); Emperor Maximillian of Mexico dies, his adopted son Agustín II succeeds him, but the country is plunged into chaos; Progressive Democrat William Jennings Bryan is elected President of the United States

Last edited:
Back