• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

genuinely amazing shout
Saw him in a documentary on the GLC, read up on him and I was like “Of course I’ll find a way to include a cool Soft Left Openly Gay in a universe where he managed to get to become MP for Merthyr Tydfil”

This combined nicely with my idea for a Anne Kerr Labour leadership/PM idea.

Saw him in a documentary on the GLC, read up on him and I was like “Of course I’ll find a way to include a cool Soft Left Openly Gay in a universe where he managed to get to become MP for Merthyr Tydfil”

This combined nicely with my idea for a Anne Kerr Labour leadership/PM idea.
Harrington would have been so much fucking better than Ken for leader of the GLC. Genuinely 'ate that Livingstone.

Reading his back story just makes me go ‘Harrington was the better choice for most things’.
there's a story in Hosken's Ken about how Harrington was talking with Barbara Castle of all people and Babs said that Harrington just didn't have the political ruthlessness that Ken did. If I ever did manage to pull up enough information from here in Ireland about London local government, it's function and the people involved to write a GLC TL I would probably make it about Harrington, or at least have him as a POV character. Would love to do that.

1960: Lyndon B. Johnson (1. )Democratic Hubert Humphrey
Def: Richard M. Nixon Republican Nelson Rockefeller
1964:Hubert Humphrey Democratic Wilber Miles
Barry Goldwater Republican William Miller
1968 Hubert Humphrey Democratic Wilber Miles.

George Romney Republican Charles percy

1972: James Rhodes( 2) Republican weerly
Dearly

1. Died of heart attack
2. Assainated.

King Fish, Small Pond - the Political Career of Huey Pierce Long

1915-1918: Private citizen, lawyer
1918-1922: Member of the Louisiana Railroad Commission

defeated Burk Bridges
1922: Candidate for Governor

lost to Henry Fuqua, Hewitt Bouanchaud
1922-1928: Chairman of the Louisiana Public Service Commission
- unopposed
1928-1932: Governor of Louisiana
defeated Riley J. Wilson, Oramel H. Simpson
- refused to resign the Governorship upon becoming Senator-elect until January 25th, 1932

1932-1942: Senator for Louisiana
defeated Joseph Ransdell
defeated
George W. Reese, Jr.
defeated Vance Plauché, Alexander Pierre Tureaud
1936: Democratic primary candidate for President
lost to Frankin D. Roosevelt, Henry Skillman Breckinridge, Upton Sinclair, John S. McGroarty, Al Smith
- declared he would run as a third party spoiler unless his Share Our Wealth plan was adapted to the President's platform
1936: Share Our Wealth Union Movement party candidate for President
(with William Lemke)
defeated Upton Sinclair
- Roosevelt/Garner defeated Landon/Knox, Long/Lemke
1940: Democratic primary candidate for President

lost to Franklin D. Roosevelt, John Nance Garner, Charles Sawyer, James Farley, William Bankhead, Oetje Rogge
1943-1947: Private citizen, activist

- maintained an 'elder statesman' position in Louisiana-state politics
- publicly feuded with former allies Gerald L.K. Smith and Reverend Charles Coughlin after being forced out of the Share Our Wealth Union Movement, subsequently renamed to America First!
- briefly attempted to revive the
Farmers Holiday Association
1948: Democratic primary candidate for President

(with Burton K. Wheeler) defeated Adlai Stevenson II, Harry Byrd, Charlie Ross, Harry S. Truman
1948: Democratic party candidate for President

- Dewey/Vandenberg defeated Long/Wheeler, L.K. Smith/Tuck
1948: Democratic primary candidate for Senator for Louisiana (special election)
1949-1967: Senator for Louisiana

defeated Clem Clarke
defeated Charles Gerth
- (unopposed in 1956)
defeated Taylor O'Hearn

1953-1967: Chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance
defeated Eugene Millikin
- died in office

Last edited:
King Fish, Small Pond - the Political Career of Huey Pierce Long

1915-1918: Private citizen, lawyer
1918-1922: Member of the Louisiana Railroad Commission

defeated Burk Bridges
1922: Candidate for Governor

lost to Henry Fuqua, Hewitt Bouanchaud
1922-1928: Chairman of the Louisiana Public Service Commission
- unopposed
1928-1932: Governor of Louisiana
defeated Riley J. Wilson, Oramel H. Simpson
- refused to resign the Governorship upon becoming Senator-elect until January 25th, 1932

1932-1942: Senator for Louisiana
defeated Joseph Ransdell
defeated
George W. Reese, Jr.
defeated Vance Plauché, Alexander Pierre Tureaud
1936: Democratic primary candidate for President
lost to Frankin D. Roosevelt, Henry Skillman Breckinridge, Upton Sinclair, John S. McGroarty, Al Smith
- declared he would run as a third party spoiler unless his Share Our Wealth plan was adapted to the President's platform
1936: Share Our Wealth Union Movement party candidate for President
(with William Lemke)
defeated Upton Sinclair
- Roosevelt/Garner defeated Landon/Knox, Long/Lemke
1940: Democratic primary candidate for President

lost to Franklin D. Roosevelt, John Nance Garner, Charles Sawyer, James Farley, William Bankhead, Oetje Rogge
1943-1947: Private citizen, activist

- maintained an 'elder statesman' position in Louisiana-state politics
- publicly feuded with former allies Gerald L.K. Smith and Reverend Charles Coughlin after being forced out of the Share Our Wealth Union Movement, subsequently renamed to America First!
- briefly attempted to revive the
Farmers Holiday Association
1948: Democratic primary candidate for President

(with Burton K. Wheeler) defeated Adlai Stevenson II, Harry Byrd, Charlie Ross, Harry S. Truman
1948: Democratic party candidate for President

- Dewey/Vandenberg defeated Long/Wheeler, L.K. Smith/Tuck
1948: Democratic primary candidate for Senator for Louisiana (special election)
1949-1967: Senator for Louisiana

defeated Clem Clarke
defeated Charles Gerth
- (unopposed in 1956)
defeated Taylor O'Hearn

1953-1967: Chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance
defeated Eugene Millikin
- died in office

Good list, but I do always wonder why people sort of hedge on this one. I mean, what the hell, have him pull a Thurmond and lurk into Clinton's First Hundred Days - it's not like we're paying for extra life by the day here.

Good list, but I do always wonder why people sort of hedge on this one. I mean, what the hell, have him pull a Thurmond and lurk into Clinton's First Hundred Days - it's not like we're paying for extra life by the day here.

Huey "Forrest Gump" Long getting protest votes at the 1968 DNC and a single vote for Vice President at the 1972 DNC. 1992 Democratic Primary candidates going to his senate office to make sure they're seen at the photograph of his 98th birthday party.

Huey "Forrest Gump" Long getting protest votes at the 1968 DNC and a single vote for Vice President at the 1972 DNC. 1992 Democratic Primary candidates going to his senate office to make sure they're seen at the photograph of his 98th birthday party.
Now we need a TL/Write up with Huey Long becoming president after a 9/11-esque event as he is President Pro Tempore.

It's probably a combination of Long's brothers not living extraordinarily long (George died at 74 & Earl at 65) and his brief OTL Senate career (which largely consisted of antagonizing the rest of the Senate by constantly filibustering and otherwise delaying bills in order to get attention) making it hard to imagine Huey Long as someone who could develop the right temperament to become an ATL Senate lifer like Thurmond, Byrd or Inouye.

The set-up for this analogue (LBJ declines to run in 64, the Democrats can't unite, and Goldwater manages to eke out a victory) might be a bit of a stretch, but I think the pay-off is worth it. Was gonna do a writeup, but I couldn't really figure out what tone to go with for it. Even still, the analogue should be fairly obvious for most folks.

An Echo, Not A Choice

1965 - 1969: Barry Goldwater (R-AZ)/William E. Miller (R-NY)
1969 - 1970: Eugene McCarthy (D-MN)†/Edmund Muskie (D-ME)
1970 - 1972: National Security Committee [Edwin Walker (Army), Curtis LeMay (Air Force), John S. McCain, Jr. (Navy), and J. Edgar Hoover (FBI)]
1973 - 1990: Edwin Walker (Army)†

1991 - XXXX: Alexander Haig (Army)

Last edited:
IMO Huey Long, as Claghornian as he is, seems like the kinda guy who's partial to a steak, a finger of bourbon and an obnoxiously large cigar each and every night. Logistically speaking, my mans not gonna be in good health

Last edited:
It's probably a combination of Long's brothers not living extraordinarily long (George died at 74 & Earl at 65) and his brief OTL Senate career (which largely consisted of antagonizing the rest of the Senate by constantly filibustering and otherwise delaying bills in order to get attention) making it hard to imagine Huey Long as someone who could develop the right temperament to become an ATL Senate lifer like Thurmond, Byrd or Inouye.
The latter is kind of an interesting scenario in itself - an over-the-hill Long living long enough to become the villain and getting successfully primaried or defeated could make for a nice end-of-an-era vignette. (Or he could get bored with the Senate, try to get back into statewide politics, and either stick out there or end up a perennial candidate.)

The set-up for this analogue (LBJ declines to run in 64, the Democrats can't unite, and Goldwater manages to eke out a victory) might be a bit of a stretch, but I think the pay-off is worth it. Was gonna do a writeup, but I couldn't really figure out what tone to go with for it. Even still, the analogue should be fairly obvious for most folks.

An Echo, Not A Choice

1965 - 1968:
Barry Goldwater (R-AZ)/William E. Miller (R-NY)
1969 - 1970: Eugene McCarthy (D-MN)†/Edmund Muskie (D-ME)
1970 - 1972: National Security Committee [Edwin Walker (Army), Curtis LeMay (Air Force), John S. McCain, Jr. (Navy), and J. Edgar Hoover (FBI)]
1973 - 1990: Edwin Walker (Army)
1991 - XXXX: Alexander Haig (Army)

The analogue is Chile?

In The Heady Daze

Theresa May (Conservative majority) 2016-2017
Jeremy Corbyn (Labour minority supported by SNP and Liberal Democrats, then by Liberal Democrats) 2017
May 2017: def. Theresa May (Conservative), Nicola Sturgeon (SNP), Tim Farron (Liberal Democrats)
Jun 2017 vote on Scottish Independence Referendum: 324 Nay - 293 Aye (About 20 Labour 'Unionists' backed Nay)
Jul 2017 vote of no confidence: 348 Aye - 293 Nay
Theresa May (Conservative majority) 2017
Sep 2017: def. Jeremy Corbyn (Labour), Nicola Sturgeon (SNP), Vince Cable (Liberal Democrats)
Jeremy Hunt (Conservative majority) 2017-

1933 - 1949: Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic)
1932 (with John Nance Garner) def. President Herbert Hoover (Republican)
1936 (with John Nance Garner) def. Senator Frederick Steiwer (Republican)
1940 (with Henry A. Wallace) def. Governor John W. Bricker (Republican)

1944 (with Henry A. Wallace) def. Senator W. Lee O'Daniel (Texas Regulars), Republican faithless electors, Businessman Wendell Wilkie † (Republican)

1949 - 1953: Mayor Hubert Humphrey (Democratic)
1948 (with Lyndon B. Johnson) def. Fmr. Governor Harold Stassen (Republican), Governor Strom Thurmond (Dixicrat)

1953 - 1955: General Dwight D. Eisenhower (Democratic)
1952 (with Lyndon B. Johnson) def. Senator Robert A. Taft (Republican)
1955 - 1965: Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic)
1956 (with Nelson Rockefeller) def. Fmr. Governor Thomas E. Dewey, Fmr. Senator John W. Bricker (Independent)
1960 (with Nelson Rockefeller) def. Governor John Malcolm Patterson (Heritage), Fmr. Governor Harold Stassen (Republican), Senator Barry Goldwater (Conservative)

1965- 1973: UAW President Walter Reuther (Democratic)
1964 (with Ronald Reagan) def. Senator Richard Nixon (Republican), Governor Orvile Faubus (Heritage), Senator John Tower (Conservative)
1968 (with Al D'Amato) def. Senator Herman Talmadge (Heritage), Fmr. Governor Charles Edison (Conservative), Fmr. Senator John Davis Lodge (Republican)

1973 - 1977: Fmr. President Hubert Humphrey (Democratic)
1972 (with George Wallace) def. Fmr. Governor Jimmie Davis (Heritage), Fmr. Mayor William F. Buckley (Conservative), Rep. Edward Brooke (Republican)

1977 - 1981: Secretary George McGovern (Democratic)
1976 (with Chep Morrison) def. Senator Strom Thurmond (Heritage), Andrew P. O'Rourke (Conservative), Activist Ellen McCormack (Republican)

1981 - 1985: Senator Sam Yorty (Democratic)
1980 (with Trent Lott) def. Fmr. Governor James Buckley (Conservative), Fmr. Governor Lester Maddox (Heritage), Fmr. Vice President Ronald Reagan (Liberal), Activist Martin Luther King Jr. (Poor People's), Fmr. Rep. John Rarick (Republican)

1985 - 1989: Businessman Charles Koch (Independent)
1984 (with Ralph Nader) def. Senator Joe Biden (Democratic), Fmr. Senator Jesse Helms (Heritage), President Sam Yorty (Independent), Activist Mattias Koehl (Republican), Fmr. Rep. Lyndon LaRouche (Joe Kennedy Society)
1986 - 1989: President Charles Koch (Economic Liberty)

1989 - 1991: Vice President Ralph Nader (Poor People's)
1991 - 1997: President Ralph Nader (Justice and Development)
1988 (with Cesar Chavez) def. Fmr. First Lady Lady Bird Johnson (Democratic), President Charles Koch (Economic Liberty), Fmr. President Sam Yorty (American), Fmr. Vice President Trent Lott (Heritage), Fmr. Rep. David Duke (Republican)
1992 (with Edwin Edwards) def. Senator Ronald E. Paul (Economic Liberty), Senator Larry MacDonald (Heritage), Fmr. Governor Mario Biaggi (American), Senator Althea Garrison (Democratic), Fmr. Rep. David Duke (Republican)
• 1995 Passage of the "Democratic Bill of Rights", Presidential elections moved to a two-round runoff

1997 - 2001: Senator Birch Bayh (Democratic)
1996 (with Ted Wilson) def. Governor H. Guy Hunt (Economic Liberty), Senator Zell Miller (Heritage), Vice President Edwin Edwards (Justice and Development), Rep. Merril Cook (Independent Democratic)

2001 - 2005: Governor Richard Trumka (Democratic)
2000 (with Skip Humphrey) def. Senator Orrin Hatch (Economic Liberty), Senator Jim Hightower (Justice and Development), Governor George Wallace Jr. (Heritage), Fmr. Rep. Merril Cook (Independent Democratic)
2008 (with Skip Humphrey) def. Activist Corretta Scott King (Justice and Development), Senator Bob Smith (Heritage), F (Economic Liberty), Rep. Evan Bayh (Freedom)

2009 - 2017: Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger (Economic Liberty)
2008 (with Don Stenberg) def. Vice President Skip Humphrey (Democratic), Fmr. Senator Evan Mecham (Heritage), Mayor Al Sharpton (Justice and Development)
2012 (with Don Stenberg) def. Senator Karl Rove (Heritage), Senator Charlotte Pritt (Justice and Development), Senator Ted Mondale (Democratic)

2017 - 2021: Vice President Don Stenberg (Economic Liberty)
2016 (with Phil Scott) def. Senator John Eder (Justice and Development), Labor Leader James P. Hoffa (Democratic), Governor Steve King (Heritage)

2021 - present: Governor Kinky Friedman (Justice and Development)
2020 (with Kyrsten Sinema) def. Fmr. Governor Jared Kushner (Democratic), Fmr. Senator Bob Smith (Heritage), Vice President Phil Scott (Economic Liberty)

Back