• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Favorite SLP book?

Its actually tough because so many of them are great. In fact theres really only two or three (Bombard the Headquarters chief among them) that I haven't been really drawn into. I guess, if I had to pick any I'd have to go with Ed Thomas' Bloody Man series.

I've said before that my personal favourite is probably A Greater Britain, though FABR and The World Of... are spectacular too. As you can see, I like EdT.

Not An English Word is up there too.

Agent Lavender, obviously, as an excellent period thriller-farce in its own right - and on a personal note the work that got me into posting and writing more.

For works that I hadn't read in any previous format, I very much rate Timewreck Titanic - excellently researched and evocative of the period. It plays straight the ISOT setting in a 'realistic' matter, without lapsing into nostalgia or romanticised whitewashing of the past. It also succeeds in keeping a tight plot arc against the natural tendency of ISOT scenarios to run away with consequence webs, and in having a genuinely suspenseful plot even when the central premise is either explicitly known or implicit from the scenario.

I shamefully have read only a handful, but I find myself talking about Festung Europa occasionally with people outside this particular circle of nerds, mostly just because everyone has thought about a Nazi victory but no one else has done a really plausible one and I love so many little things about it like the Congolese tiger economy.

I'd like to write something like "Zonen". That was my main inspiration for "The Unreformed Kingdom" in terms of format, but that one ended up being greater-scope, without the sense of a cosy corner of AH that doesn't impact the world, only individuals' lives.

I'd like to write something like "Zonen". That was my main inspiration for "The Unreformed Kingdom" in terms of format, but that one ended up being greater-scope, without the sense of a cosy corner of AH that doesn't impact the world, only individuals' lives.
TUK is another of my top half-dozen SLP books, actually.

I read it aloud to my girlfriend a few weeks ago, she is pushing me to adapt it into some kind of one-man show. I will keep you updated, it means a great deal that you hold it in such high regard.

That would be very interesting, I like Zonen because it is short but just the right length, it has excellent characterisation, covers a little-known but interesting group with an unusual but very plausible POD and manages to introduce just the right level of AH.

TUK is the one (of mine) that has the most unexpected cross-demographic appeal, I think - I have normie friends who like it (I think it helps that the end is set in Doncaster, but it's more than that)

I really enjoyed it too, but haven't read it as an SLP book.

I really should get around to reading Zonen, I think it is in my Kindle account already...

I really enjoyed it too, but haven't read it as an SLP book.

I really should get around to reading Zonen, I think it is in my Kindle account already...

It's fantastically subtle in its tone, and the underlying themes; if you'd told me the premise as an actual 'fact' before I'd heard about SLP I would have accepted it without question as one of those bizarre little pieces of Cold War trivia you sometimes come across.

That's why it works so well

Shuffling the Deck looks simple but is difficult to imitate. And is a good, fun, accessible read.

Back