• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Comic Corner: Captain Britain (Moore/Davis)

I ought to reread this run, which I finally discovered a few years back. Alan Moore doing Marvel really does not compute, but then this is only Marvel in the most anal of senses, from an age when the British comics traditions were still a thing and thought themselves immortal.

Also, Alan Moore was in his twenties here. A mathematical fact, but surely impossible that this old wizard could ever have been so young?

I remember Captain Britain when he was a member of Excalibur in the Marvel universe, I was unaware he had previously been a standalone character. He tended to come across as well-meaning but easily in over his head.

Excalibur_1988_0001-400x615.jpg

I remember Captain Britain when he was a member of Excalibur in the Marvel universe, I was unaware he had previously been a standalone character. He tended to come across as well-meaning but easily in over his head.

Same here. Much later I read the original comic and it was simultaneously very informative and very, very weird.

The great Alan Davis remains an eternal constant, though!

Excalibur never quite worked in the same way for me. Could never quite put my finger on why. Chris Claremont was writing, no less, and I can’t say it wasn’t good, but it didn’t quite have the bonkers charm despite being clearly insane, in a good way.

Aargh I missed this coming out!

Yes, I think Jaspers and The Fury are two of the great comic villains – I remember audibly gasping at the sequence where Mad Jim changes his wine from red to white as an act of pure faux-aristocratic pique (his social signifiers are fascinating, aren't they?) and destroys our reality just a little bit more. Amazing stuff.

To me, Moore's best works are From Hell, Swamp Thing, and (yes, I had to say it) Watchmen – but CB is up there! It has aged so much better, I think, than Miracleman...

Back