• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

ChatGPT and creating alternate history

One of the things I'm enjoying AI art for is just ideas - it goes wrong and you have this snapshot into a different concept

I saw this the other day for instance- woman cowers in fear in a field as a huge monster charges at her. The AI understands woman fear huge monster and field and drew a huge woman in fear as she turns into a monster in a field. Which to me is a far more interesting idea than what had been attempted
Screenshot 2023-05-12 092526.png

The maximum radar range isn't going to matter that much for the F-106.

What that isn't telling you is that the F-106 was designed to operate under ground control intercept so the radar range usually wouldn't be a factor. Aircraft of that era also often operated under rules of engagement requiring visual target confirmation because of the difficulty of identifying targets. Lastly, the missiles used by the F-106 were rather short ranged and not particularly effective, especially against anything smaller or more maneuverable than a subsonic bomber.

That's right. And that's the sort of thing that, if I had missed it, the Beta readers would let me know. And they were Tu-16s :) Admittedly, I found the control panels for the F-106 the old fashioned way.

-HC

Attachments

• GCI.png
    GCI.png
    39 KB · Views: 7
That doesn't explain what it means. I'm guessing it's like. Gratuitous military minutae? Rather than gratuitous violence

Yeah, Coiler's got it. In most cases it's battle driven plots, as opposed to, say, character driven. Though All Union is certainly an exception to that rule of thumb.

-HC

It's not that bad, but it's not for everyone.

-HC
No. It's bleak.

Its not for everyone is a matter of plot and character, of differing themes and moral goals.

Deciding to write something that is just driven by data as literature isn't that.

I am sure all of you are capable of doing more for your art then spreadsheets. And the fact that there is a community that aspires to not do that is in my opinion, pretty bleak.

No. It's bleak.

Its not for everyone is a matter of plot and character, of differing themes and moral goals.

Deciding to write something that is just driven by data as literature isn't that.

I am sure all of you are capable of doing more for your art then spreadsheets. And the fact that there is a community that aspires to not do that is in my opinion, pretty bleak.

You seem nice.

-HC

Coiler's original statement was this meant "Red Storm Rising type stories", which I understand does still have characters in it so what's this argument even about, that some military-set stories have authors working out what piece of kit can blown up another one?

Coiler's original statement was this meant "Red Storm Rising type stories", which I understand does still have characters in it so what's this argument even about, that some military-set stories have authors working out what piece of kit can blown up another one?
There's no argument as far as I can tell.

-HC

I might point out that one of my favourite reviews is someone hating one of my books because I spent too much time on my characters, and not enough time on the POD, AH, and military aspect of the story. (Clemhorn Nightfall if anyone's interested). Horses for courses I guess. It is the reason that I decided that I write for myself, although recent reviews for both Clemhorn Nadir (my 'Nightfall sequel), and 'Vortex on Vertu Prime' (my SF middle-grade reader) show that other people do seem to like my writing.

Last edited:
Although it could be said that all the fiction here on SLP is fanfic.
It's just that the authors (and us readers) are fans of history rather than some copyrighted IP.

I would argue that the distinction is that one is derivative fiction based on the creative work of someone(s) else, and the other is fiction based on the individuals own creative work derived from real life.

Last edited:
Back