• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Blackentheborg's city council archive filing cabinet

yeah confused by that, because that means that first of all this wannabe dictator would have to lose power, and then facebook would want to hire him. it feels a tad demonising
not that i like facebook, to be clear, but more that hiring Bukele is a terrible idea on literally every front.

like, how are they supposed to present that? "yeah, we made this populist from central america who said the CIA are funding communism leader of a significant amount of our PR"

it's just not something they would do on a pure marketing level

Honestly I'm more uncertain about the optics of appointing Harris. Facebook has more or less reached market penetration in the United States except among young people - its main remaining markets are in the developing world, places where looking like a stalking horse for Washington might be bad for both consumer approval and local regulatory approval. Meanwhile, its most reliable customers in the United States are disproportionately conservatives, and it is constantly fighting off efforts from Republican politicians to paint it as systematically biased against conservative voices and try to fix that through legal and regulatory interventions. As for those young Americans, it's far from clear to me that Harris has any sort of durable or pervasive approval with them/us. And as for her substantive skills... she's definitely competent at some things, don't get me wrong, but it's not clear that Meta needs her, specifically, for them, rather than just finding some mid-level FAANG exec or Skadden Arps partner for them.

What does Nick Clegg bring to the table anyways? PR skills? He was quite popular in the U.K. (Before it was torpedoed between 2010 and 2015)

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 11.12.50 PM.jpg
Just realised that this post uses the template of the 2016 HK 'elections' which is very clever

I assume this is a sort-of "HKSAR"-ized North Korea?

Just realised that this post uses the template of the 2016 HK 'elections' which is very clever

I assume this is a sort-of "HKSAR"-ized North Korea?
It's an attempt by the DPRK to make some performative controlled opposition so they can point at it and go "SEE? WE'RE NOT A DICTATORSHIP! WE HAVE OPPOSITION PARTIES! WE ARE COOL NOW! PLEASE GIVE US MORE GRAIN."

It's an attempt by the DPRK to make some performative controlled opposition so they can point at it and go "SEE? WE'RE NOT A DICTATORSHIP! WE HAVE OPPOSITION PARTIES! WE ARE COOL NOW! PLEASE GIVE US MORE GRAIN."
So basically modern-day HKSAR, but replace "give us grain" with "make us Asia's international city again pls"

Back