• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

View attachment 74552

Ephraim Ben Raphael, an old user on AH.com deserves all of the credit for the new Southern boundaries. I only tweaked the borders slightly.

among this just being interesting in general, i thank u for alerting me to the existence of Franklin Israel Moses, easily one of the most fascinating characters i have ever read about.

View attachment 74552

Ephraim Ben Raphael, an old user on AH.com deserves all of the credit for the new Southern boundaries. I only tweaked the borders slightly.
There are certain bits of AH media with a level of implicit detail that ticks a mental box of 'this is complicated enough to be real' and this nails it - great job.

There are certain bits of AH media with a level of implicit detail that ticks a mental box of 'this is complicated enough to be real' and this nails it - great job.
Oh shit thank you so much! What in particular did you enjoy about it?

Oh shit thank you so much! What in particular did you enjoy about it?
It's the combo of a lot of things - the incumbent Republican losing the primary but running and winning as himself (but being counted as a Republican not an independent), the demise of the Democrats, the alternative state borders post-Civil War (giving credit to Ephraim Ben Raphael there as you say), the Democrats' electoral votes being disqualified and the use of party alliances with a mix of OTL and original names. The combination just exudes something that feels 'authentic' to 19th century American politics, just a different America, rather than a lot of wikiboxes which look more forced or anachronistic.

Another state done, Florida!

LqLOgkn.png

A few things of note:
Plant Field is what is now Pepin Stadium at the University of Tampa. Originally built in 1899 by Henry Plant, it had been used for decades for minor league games. In OTL the stadium was transferred to the neighboring University of Tampa in 1971, but here with the state leagues starting up and Tampa Bay Professional Soccer Club (the original placeholder name of the Rowdies in OTL) looking for a home, the stadium goes to them for use instead. By now there's probably some sort of arrangement to allow UT to make use of the stadium anyway but it's primarily the Tampa Bay PSC ground.

The Lipton Wanderers are my nod to the OTL Jacksonville Tea Men, an NASL team originally owned by Lipton as the New England Tea Men in Boston but which soon moved to Jacksonville and because they were still owned by Lipton kept the Tea Men name.

Sporting Palma Ceia are a team founded by the Palma Ceia Country Club on the basis of "we have money", and function very much as a rich third wheel club in Tampa.

On Sebastian Janikowski Stadium, apparently his dad had three caps for the Polish national team and he actually played both soccer and American football up through college at Florida State. Sebastian even made the Poland U-17 team for a bit before he moved to the US. So I'm thinking with more soccer opportunities in the US ITTL he sticks with soccer through college and at least starts his career at nearby Sporting College Park while at FSU.

I'll echo what Thande said about the verisimilitude, I'm also delighted to have helped inspire the scenario. Any thoughts as to where the American party system goes without the Democrats? Does the Republican Party continue to split further in half, or do we get an alt-Populist Party that emerges as the main alternative?

I'll echo what Thande said about the verisimilitude, I'm also delighted to have helped inspire the scenario. Any thoughts as to where the American party system goes without the Democrats? Does the Republican Party continue to split further in half, or do we get an alt-Populist Party that emerges as the main alternative?
Oh shit lol I didn't realize you were on SLP. For a few elections, the Republican party is 100% dominant with plenty of splits in the general election. Longer term, my thought process is that the Republican Party is successfully co-opted by Butler and co. with the Half-Breed Republicans splitting off in their own party. Maybe calling themselves the Conservative? I'm up to suggestions on that, though, for other ideas and unique names

Love the idea of the Conch Republic putting up a "national team" in the ASL--feels very American in a good way. Do they keep trying to get into FIFA, or "reprimand" players who get onto the US national team?
They probably made some half-hearted attempts at recognition in the 90s and 00s, but since the whole Conch Republic thing quickly turned into more of a tourism gimmick it would be more for the publicity than anything serious.

Next up, Connecticut!

y5P88sw.png

You might argue that I overdid the number of Portuguese American clubs, but two of the three are real. Bridgeport Vasco da Gama was founded in the 1940s, and Danbury Lusitania is a version of the OTL Danbury United, founded by the Portuguese Cultural Center there. The only one I completely made up is Espirito Santo and there is still a Portuguese cultural society in that area so I drew on that.

Ansonia 1885 is a revival of the club Ansonia FC, whose original incarnation was founded in 1885 and as far as I can tell lasting into like the 20s, and as far as I could find one of the earliest Connecticut clubs to compete in a competitive association joining the AFA and American Cup in 1887 during its first expansion beyond New York and New Jersey.

Hubbard Heights SC's stadium is of course named Stamford Bridge for its location on Bridge Street in Stamford (I've decided it's around OTL Scalzi Park), and definitely for no other reason.

Back