• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

52520148441_2f61a6aedf_o.png

strangers_uselex_2012.jpgThe 2012 United States presidential election was the 57th quadrennial presidential election, held on Tuesday, November 6, 2012. The Republican ticket of former Illinois Governor Alan Schiro and North Carolina senator Edward C. Hartley defeated incumbent Democratic President Scott McKay and Vice President Frank Agnos. Schiro took office as the 45th president on January 20, 2013, becoming the first Italian American and third Roman Catholic (after John F. Kennedy and McKay) President of the United States. It was the first election since 1992 in which an incumbent President lost re-election, and the first since 1968 in which the winning candidate triumphed despite losing his home state.

McKay had alienated many members of his party by pursuing the 'First In Peace' Doctrine, which many Democrats considered isolationist, overly friendly to dictatorships, and poorly planned, as well as through a number of insulting comments he made in interviews and online, some of which were criticized as sexist, homophobic, and vulgar. Nevertheless, he was able to fend off primary challenges by retired U.S. Army general and University of Texas President Jack Jones and New York Congresswoman Karen Callahan. Schiro, who had been a frontrunner in the 2008 Republican primaries before bowing out to "focus on leading Illinois through this crisis", defeated five other Republican candidates, most notably Governor of Kentucky C. Harris Walker, by April. He selected Senator Hartley, a Vietnam War veteran and former astronaut, as his running mate.

Schiro ran a low-key campaign focused on economic policy, promising to balance the federal budget by reforming welfare policy; he also promised to take a tougher line on Russia and Jaysh al-Islam and to restore 'decency' to the White House in the wake of Schiro's gaffes and scandals. McKay promoted ambitious plans to implement universal healthcare, negotiate an international agreement to limit warming to 1.5º Celsius, and promote economic growth in the 'Rust Belt'; critics noted that many of these proposals had been pursued during McKay's first term and had failed in Congress.

Schiro led McKay narrowly in polls throughout the race, aside from a brief period after the Democratic National Convention in September, but his lead substantially narrowed in October after the Supreme Court upheld McKay's use of Section 1498 to authorize imports of drugs such as insulin. However, Schiro managed to win by a slightly larger margin than the polls suggested, which some analysts have attributed to 'the Callahan effect' of low turnout for McKay among women voters. Of the states McKay had won in 2008, Schiro won Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, and Wisconsin, as well as Nebraska's 2nd congressional district.

McKay returned to politics in 2018 by announcing his candidacy for President in the 2020 election. As of May 2019, polls indicate that he is the leading Democratic candidate.

Last edited:
Not necessarily appropriate in light of current events, and I'm not a big fan of the guy this post focuses on either, but I felt like making an infobox after months of not doing so and I felt like writing about a local politician. also I have no idea who his actual wife is

1669663022487.png

Nikolai Aleksandrovich Kolosov (Russian: Николай Александрович Колосов; born 10 September 1988) is a Russian statesman and political figure who has been serving as the Prime Minister of Russia since 22 November 2037. A member of the State Duma since 2032, Kolosov has presided over the National Republican Party Party of the Russian Republic since 2037.

In 2020, Kolosov joined the governing body of Society.Future, a centre-right political movement founded by Roman Yuneman, and worked on election monitoring for Yuneman and Daniil Makhnitsky's campaign team during the 2021 State Duma elections. Following the Russian Spring, Kolosov headed the Chertanovo Yuzhnoye Council of Deputies from 2025 to 2031. Around 2030, Kolosov co-founded the National Republican Party, a legal successor to Society.Future which has incorporated a number of regional United Russia structures, and emerged as its key leader following the assassination attempt on Roman Yuneman. Under his leadership, the National Republicans became the largest party in the State Duma following the 2037 general elections and formed a bloc with centre-right Democratic Choice.

A self-described national democrat and Russian paleoconservative, Kolosov's political positions have been described as far-right, which he rejects. He is opposed to euthanasia, same-sex marriage and multiculturalism, and has pursued a radical revising of Russia's migration policy, including the compatriots' relocation program, that opponents have described as restrictive and racist against Central Asian and South Asian migrants; however, he has supported sponsoring Russian-language schools in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. Rejecting irredentism and the triune Russian nation, Kolosov is a key proponent of Great Russian nationalism, which he views as integral to the creation of a democratic unitary nation-state. Kolosov has sought a pragmatic foreign policy, maintaning cordial relations with China and the United States of America in addition to pursuing closer cooperation with Germany.

Central issues during Kolosov's premiership have included market reforms, climate change, organized crime, disarmament of volunteer groups and gun control in general as well as relations with the former post-Soviet sphere and reconciliation commissions, the latter two of which have led to controversy due to Kolosov's political views and the presence of former United Russia members in his party.

Last edited:
Any of y'all remember Phineas Gage, the guy who had a metal spike go through his head and lived, only to have his personality alter dramatically?

Louis Mountbatten was apparently approached twice, in 1968 and 1974, by a group of rich entitled businesspeople who wanted to perform a military coup against Harold Wilson. Both times Mountbatten laughed at them and said he wanted no part in it.

But lets say he survived the 1979 bombing that took his life OTL, just, and came out the other side...different. Different enough to go to back to those very same rich entitled businesspeople and let them know he changed his mind?

1669813042044.png

Last edited:
Any of y'all remember Phineas Gage, the guy who had a metal spike go through his head and lived, only to have his personality alter dramatically?

Louis Mountbatten was apparently approached twice, in 1968 and 1974, by a group of rich entitled businesspeople who wanted to perform a military coup against Harold Wilson. Both times Mountbatten laughed at them and said he wanted no part in it.

But lets say he survived the 1979 bombing that took his life OTL, just, and came out the other side...different. Different enough to go to back to those very same rich entitled businesspeople and let them know he changed his mind?

i, of all people, am not usually the one scoffing dramatically at high concept ah, but this feels needlessly edgy.

allow me to demonstrate:
”Bro, bro, what if there was that guy who got blown up by the IRA, but he survives and is now INSANE, and becomes a dictator, wouldn't that be so cool?!”
it reminds me of early TNO lore. In fact, I think it literally was early TNO lore for Kaukasia, where Prince Joachim was tortured by Partisans and went insane, which they changed for obvious reasons.

I will mention @Blackentheborg that Mountbatten was considered ridiculous pink for a Royal Relative, from his support for Attlee, his crushing on Barbara Castle and his soft support for Irish Republicanism…

The more likely answer is, if Mountbatten was per se over throwing a David Stirling coup and placing a grumpy Peter Shore into power.

allow me to demonstrate:
”Bro, bro, what if there was that guy who got blown up by the IRA, but he survives and is now INSANE, and becomes a dictator, wouldn't that be so cool?!”
it reminds me of early TNO lore. In fact, I think it literally was early TNO lore for Kaukasia, where Prince Joachim was tortured by Partisans and went insane, which they changed for obvious reasons.
I mean, it was never my intention to have it be edgy? I feel slightly mischaracterised here, I just used a fun little trope to try and make something different :/
I will mention @Blackentheborg that Mountbatten was considered ridiculous pink for a Royal Relative, from his support for Attlee, his crushing on Barbara Castle and his soft support for Irish Republicanism…

The more likely answer is, if Mountbatten was per se over throwing a David Stirling coup and placing a grumpy Peter Shore into power.
Exactly! Most write ups I see about the plot against Harold Wilson paint Mountbatten as this stilted old dude at the center of the conspiracy, where in reality he thought the guys planning it were dumb and didn't want anything to do with it.

Having your brain altered by bomb shrapnel would be the only plausible explanation for such a sudden shift in personality needed for the scenario.

I mean, it was never my intention to have it be edgy? I feel slightly mischaracterised here, I just used a fun little trope to try and make something different :/

Exactly! Most write ups I see about the plot against Harold Wilson paint Mountbatten as this stilted old dude at the center of the conspiracy, where in reality he thought the guys planning it were dumb and didn't want anything to do with it.

Having your brain altered by bomb shrapnel would be the only plausible explanation for such a sudden shift in personality needed for the scenario.
It's a bit like the Business Plot deciding to ask Smedley Butler of all people.

I don’t think it’s too edgy. My biggest gripe is that Mountbatten survives the 1979 bombing, gets Gaged, and seizes power... in 1977?
That's my bad. Fixed that shit.
It's a bit like the Business Plot deciding to ask Smedley Butler of all people.
And yet there's plenty of scenarios where the Business Plot goes ahead and Smedley seems completely fine with it.

And yet there's plenty of scenarios where the Business Plot goes ahead and Smedley seems completely fine with it.
Doesn't mean they're good, does it? Like, I love Chasing Shadows, but the whole point of that is that Smedley is actively misleading the plotters in question

idk man it feels like you're being unnecessarily critical here. It's not that bad, is it?
It's not awful, don't worry, but it's just the kind of AH I recognise from HoI4 mods, and that tends to ring alarm bells for me.

Back