• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

From the people I’ve spoken to on France, they do seem to imply that a general worry over France’s world status which translated to population worries, that is to say, a worry that France’s numbers would sink over the years led to them being rather socially conservative on women’s rights so they would be encouraged to be caretakers and pump out more kids.

I wonder if having more territory would have helped mitigate France’s stagnating population. Maybe having the coal fields in Belgium and carrying the Rhine could have added more people and resources that would help them industrialize would lessen the worries.

I doubt it, many other countries have stagnating populations including the Belgians and Germany. We'd likely have a bigger and richer France that's  still worried about declining birth rates and has dark muttering about immigration.

You can chart these sorts of anxieties back at least to revanchisme and the broader underlying conflicts in the Third Republic and like most on the reactionary side these came to a head during Vichy where natalism was aggressively pushed to the extent that 'Family' was enshrined in the state's motto. You probably can tie such feelings to a loss of stature to some extent but insecurity at the top is an issue in itself. France was objectively a superpower for much of the last century and a more powerful France may seem more confident but it's just as likely to have more powerful coalitions arrayed against it.

Taking this here as it's about AH not our H, more or less

I remember one of the last updates (just post-Trump election) describing a super hacky Jesusland were gays were hanged from cranes and people were like 'oh this is just a parody special of the author's work don't look too much into it' until Drew came in to clarify that it was canon.

The story sounds familiar from some white supremacist tract. Yep, isn't that

The Turner Diaries

Dystopian AH in general is the kind of thing I can often defend and can at least find understandable. Like it's a lot easier to have substantive conflict there, and so on. That being said, Sturgeonism is gonna Sturgeon.

(And then there's the "what is a utopia", with The Big One and postwar AANW being obvious ones. The US nonchalantly destroying everyone else with superweapons is clearly considered utopian in them. )

The story sounds familiar from some white supremacist tract. Yep, isn't that

The Turner Diaries

I mean Rumsfeldia can be more than a little overbearing but IOTL we have a group of Trump cultists who want to ape The Turner Diaries. The whole Christian nationalist arc sent the TL off the rails but I could understand why someone would have such anxieties about the real USA.

The Handmaid's Tale did it better of course.

(And then there's the "what is a utopia", with The Big One and postwar AANW being obvious ones. The US nonchalantly destroying everyone else with superweapons is clearly considered utopian in them. )
That's not my read of the author's perspective on AANW, but you have a point more broadly (even among some of the fans of that TL).

I mean Rumsfeldia can be more than a little overbearing but IOTL we have a group of Trump cultists who want to ape The Turner Diaries. The whole Christian nationalist arc sent the TL off the rails but I could understand why someone would have such anxieties about the real USA.

The Handmaid's Tale did it better of course.

The Trump Dairies, a Apocalyptic timeline of one man who destroyed the world.

Basically Trump if he was a Democrat instead of a Republican.

It’s a lot of fun and gives you a glimpse at just how insane politics were in the US during the 2010s.
I don't think Trump could have won the presidency as a Democrat, too much racist baggage. Plus, if one wants a thuggish, corrupt Democratic presidential hopeful from Queens, Andrew Cuomo is right there.

I don't think Trump could have won the presidency as a Democrat, too much racist baggage. Plus, if one wants a thuggish, corrupt Democratic presidential hopeful from Queens, Andrew Cuomo is right there.

A lot depends on who the GOP puts forward. Trump's great advantage in OTL was NOT being Hilary Clinton. He might have the advantage of not being Jeb Bush instead.

Not a very plausible scenario, though.

Chris

Been trying to read more on Ireland during the 18th century since I’ve been wondering on how badly Britain would be affected if they lost it during the French Revolutionary Wars.

Apparently they had about 4 to 5 million inhabitants by 1800, made up nearly half the Royal Army, and about 20% of the Royal Navy.

While I don’t expect every Irishman in the armed forces to revolt if Ireland was somehow independent with French assistance, it does seem like, pre-potato famine, losing Ireland is gonna make Britain much less of a threat if it’s gone for longer than a few years.

I wonder how desperate they would be to get it back.

Back