• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

Coiler

Connoisseur of the Miscellaneous
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
But then there's always the argument that people who like stories aren't really looking for stories about early 20th century African politics and people who are interested in those politics aren't looking for stories.
This mismatch of talent and desire is one of the biggest reasons why AH so bifurcated and why Larry Bond-style "big war thrillers" are so rare. And on a more positive note, it's why I appreciate so much the works that do sincerely try hard to be unique, well-researched, tell a good story, and appeal to a larger audience. Because those are rare.

0.42@632

Maybe one way for people to be interested in a story about an obscure region is to have it be occupied by "Britain-in-exile" or "France-in-exile" so there are some culturally familiar elements from the home country but there is also a substrate of "native" culture/politics and the whole question of whether to support something that is basically rhodesia-in-exile would be a key political question

0.42@632

Also the traditional reason to have a character from Where Target Reader Is From to be in region as our way in, though that has the 'mighty whitey' pitfall
But I always wanted to see a 'realistic evolution of an exile state in nonwhite parts of the globe' and transition to majority rule

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Pronouns
He/Him
On the other place I mentioned how Harvey Milk and Peter Tatchell would make interesting counterparts in a timeline and I think the main point is that Milk is a man who could build an electoral coalition whilst Tatchell just can’t.

Could fun to have a timeline where Milk survives and becomes Senator/Governor or something whilst Tatchell ends up briefly being London Mayor before he does a ‘Trevor Philips’ and is expelled etc.

Burton K Wheeler

The G.O.A.T. That Can't Be Got
There's just so much you can do with boxing (or MMA, or wrestling/grappling, or any other individual combat sport). Both because of the "cultural window" for lack of a better word that it brings and because organizational differences would mean more than in other sports.

(IOTL, one of, and perhaps the biggest reason for the decline of boxing in popular culture is the glut of "alphabet belts" by various independent sanctioning groups. "Championships" have become diluted and confusing as a result)
As a big MMA fan and someone interested in the history of combat sports, it's interesting to think about how combat sports would evolve in a different TL. The long and short of it is that the idea of world champions of boxing and wrestling is something that crops up as soon as you have global media in the late 19th century, and that a lot of the evolution of boxing into a corrupt mess and wrestling from a real sport to athletic performance was media-driven as much as anything. There almost certainly would be MMA in the late 20th century even in an ATL, but a lot of the legitimacy of the sport as it exists now is driven by the fact that there's one huge promotional monopoly that's deeply invested in ensuring the sport's legitimacy. Without the post-2000 UFC as a driving force, MMA would either be a network of champions who only fight handpicked cans and never each other (Kimbo Slices and the like) or a semi-worked circus sideshow like early 2000's Japanese MMA was.

On the other place I mentioned how Harvey Milk and Peter Tatchell would make interesting counterparts in a timeline and I think the main point is that Milk is a man who could build an electoral coalition whilst Tatchell just can’t.

Could fun to have a timeline where Milk survives and becomes Senator/Governor or something whilst Tatchell ends up briefly being London Mayor before he does a ‘Trevor Philips’ and is expelled etc.
Building a coalition in the environment Milk was operating in prior to his murder and building a coalition statewide would be two totally different things. San Francisco was/is seen as a thing-in-of-itself even within California.

I don't think Milk would have been elected statwide at all, but I do think he could have become a Congressman. Peter just doesn't strike me as having a politician's personality.

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Pronouns
He/Him
I don't think Milk would have been elected statwide at all, but I do think he could have become a Congressman
True, that would be interesting within itself, though he would probably be pulling around with the Paul Simon/Pat Schroeder folks instead of like Jesse Jackson etc.
Peter just doesn't strike me as having a politician's personality.
He’s to chaotic, it’s fair to say that Tatchell would either end up like Maureen Colquhoun or probably end up resigning by the early 90s. Though imagining Tatchell as an ‘Alt-Ken’ does amuse me slightly.

0.42@632

We need a plausible WorldGovernment timeline
Kanta wey Lyenha Deshi
Ansyosa Sagitaren
Sau tera silsila
Kausa unsa kanta
Rawiye optatiwa
Nahnu jiga wos bitwinmes
Layiplayip kontende
Ne jangja...

Last edited:
True, that would be interesting within itself, though he would probably be pulling around with the Paul Simon/Pat Schroeder folks instead of like Jesse Jackson etc.
That's not really a hard division. Simon probably had a better relationship with the Reverend than most national Democrats.

I'm not the world's leading expert but Milk gives off a really strong vibe of being radicalised by the seventies and the rights struggle. (If you took that seriously, then you usually ended up in a pretty radical position by default in the seventies) I think over time as the rights cause became more mainstream he would as well. I think on a long enough timeline he could have become fairly moderate. That happened to a few people.

Last edited: