• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

Not much of a superhero.
Sorry, you’ll have to wait for the extreme grim ‘n’ gritty 90s major event of Terrific Tricia: Emerald Twilight. When Lord Mountbatten dies on the cricket field due to Terrific Tricia’s newest and deadliest foe, Incandescent Rage Amphibian, our heroine will find out what it truly means to get Justice in a suddenly colder, crueler world.

Coming in 1994 from your friends at Image.

Last edited:

AH where Churchill becomes a pilot, anyone?

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, I shall personally not flag or fail. I shall go on to the end. I will fight over France, I will fight over the seas and oceans, I shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, I will defend our island, whatever the cost may be. I will fight on over the beaches, over the landing grounds, I will fight over the fields and over the streets, I will fight over hills; we shall never surrender because I am a flying ace in my Spitfire and Göring is a little baby who couldn’t tell a propeller from a hole in the ground.

- “Flyin’” Winston Churchill, sometime Prime Minister before joining his famous Spencer Boys Squadron during the Battle of Britain.

Are there any stories or settings which depict the collapse of a civilization from its periphery or even from outside of it? I think I've read something about a Hearts of Iron mod in which the end scene is from the perspective of a nomad or hermit in Siberia noticing bright lights on the horizon that are actually from atomic firestorms in Soviet cities hundreds of miles away.

Are there any stories or settings which depict the collapse of a civilization from its periphery or even from outside of it? I think I've read something about a Hearts of Iron mod in which the end scene is from the perspective of a nomad or hermit in Siberia noticing bright lights on the horizon that are actually from atomic firestorms in Soviet cities hundreds of miles away.

It's right there at the edge of my mind, but I do remember a story that was something like this. It was set on a really remote Pacific island, it was about outsiders coming to visit the island to see if the inhabitants had been contaminated with fallout from the nuclear war, but explained to them through allegory and such. 'A great conflict of the empires beyond the seas, fought with weapons from the sun god,' like that. The visitors used radiation detectors on themselves and the inhabitants, showing how they had 'the sign of the gods' on them and the natives didn't (or something like that). They were hoping to use the island as a refuge, but instead the natives kill and eat them, because they want the god-sign on them too. I'm probably hugely butchering the details here, but I do swear I read it.

IIRC one of the vignette challenge entries on this very site is about a Middle Eastern nuclear war from the viewpoint of the unlucky nomadic herdsman who happened to provide an Evangelical with a pure red heifer.

IIRC one of the vignette challenge entries on this very site is about a Middle Eastern nuclear war from the viewpoint of the unlucky nomadic herdsman who happened to provide an Evangelical with a pure red heifer.

One of the best stories ever written on this forum, in my opinion.

Back