• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AHC: An American airline flies the A380

varyar

giver of existential dread
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
The superjumbo is slowly starting to fade from airline inventories, but I'm suddenly wondering what it would take to get a US airline to have operate them when they first started flying. Could, say, Delta fly the A380 from JFK or Atlanta to Europe, or United on trans-Pacific routes, in a profitable manner? (Or at least give it a try like Lufthansa, British Airways, etc.)

United is the more likely candidate, though it would still be a long shot. Delta was never a fan of very large aircraft and only flew 747s after they acquired Northwest, so they would be highly unlikely to ever want any. But United, with hubs in Los Angeles and San Fransisco, could be very interested in the A380 for flights to China and Japan. Maybe if China only allowed US airlines to fly to Beijing, Hong Kong and Shanghai with limited frequencies, then you could see a market for the A380 to slot into

Would the US Air Force count as an airline? :p

(Even if you get an American assembly plant for political reasons, is there any viability for the A380 as a big cargo replacement?)

United is the more likely candidate, though it would still be a long shot. Delta was never a fan of very large aircraft and only flew 747s after they acquired Northwest, so they would be highly unlikely to ever want any. But United, with hubs in Los Angeles and San Fransisco, could be very interested in the A380 for flights to China and Japan. Maybe if China only allowed US airlines to fly to Beijing, Hong Kong and Shanghai with limited frequencies, then you could see a market for the A380 to slot into

I like that idea. I think it'd work - as long as any other A380 routes worked, at least.

(Even if you get an American assembly plant for political reasons, is there any viability for the A380 as a big cargo replacement?)

Ooo, cool website.

Not really. A cargo version was originally planned and both FedEx and UPS placed orders. They both cancelled them as more information was released about the A380. This article explains why a cargo A380 doesn't work.

I like that idea. I think it'd work - as long as any other A380 routes worked, at least.
There only issue is, it's an artificial justification. And the minute China allows fights to other cities or begins allowing daily or double daily fights, the justification disappears.

There only issue is, it's an artificial justification. And the minute China allows fights to other cities or begins allowing daily or double daily fights, the justification disappears.

Fair enough. Ah well! It's still good enough for a short period of time, and that's all I asked.

Back