The constituency names you've created here are absolutely delicious. Love it
The defining question of the last decade of Grand Forks politics has been - should Grand Forks join Vesperia, or should it remain within the United States system, whether as an associated state or incorporated into the Constitution? Before 2023, however, this question was hardly reflected within the election returns; members of the State Assembly were elected or not chiefly due to local factors like religion, ethnicity, and unionization.
The turning point came in December 2021, when Speaker Jeffrey Parker (Gov't-Grand Forks Manchester) sent the first official delegation to Montréal to discuss the legal process of joining confederation. This was followed by Resolution 22A, in which the Assembly resolved to appoint a commission to begin the process of officially joining Vesperia; soon after, the date was officially set for January 1, 2025.
This forced a response from the opposition. Christian Values, the political wing of the Apostolic movement, opposed unification because it would require Grand Forks to repeal laws declaring Christianity the state faith, as well as end capital punishment and criminal penalties for sodomy; the Cooperatives and Socialist Workers opposed the fact that unification would likely undermine the state system of price controls and subsidies on wheat and fuel, as well as state ownership of banking, rail, and the post; and People Power opposed the likely end of Sioux legal autonomy and border rights. All four parties, as well as several independents who opposed the government for other reasons, came out against unification, or at least against the ongoing unification process.
The 2023 election returned a one-seat minority for the government. But while Parker announced his resignation, his successor Lyell Robertson (Gov't-Avalon) is likely to be able to negotiate a compromise, likely including a referendum on confederation and a postponement of the official date to 2026 or 2027. For one thing, the Government made substantial gains, especially in the rural north, complicating the narrative that Grand Forkers rejected the notion of confederation wholesale; for another, many urban opposition MPs, particularly in the Socialist Workers - Popular Front Party, could likely be convinced that a liberalized criminal code and more protections for cultural minorities are worth a slightly less generous welfare state, especially if the exceptions to trade union restrictions negotiated for oilfield workers can be extended to more categories of worker...
|Holidays on the Moon|
|Holiday||Date(s)||U.S. lunar territories||Lunar Free State||Chinese Lunar Territory|
|New Year's Day (Gregorian calendar)||1 January||Official holiday||Official holiday||Official holiday|
|Aldrin's Birthday||20 January||Cultural holiday||Cultural holiday||No observance|
|Chinese/"Lunar" New Year||21 January to 20 February (floating)||No observance||Cultural holiday||Official holiday|
|Cooperation Day||Last Monday in February||Official holiday||Official holiday||Official holiday|
|Baseball Opening Day||First daylight in April||Cultural holiday||Cultural holiday||Cultural holiday|
|Statehood Day||17 April||Official holiday (Armstrong state only)||No observance||No observance|
|Labor Day/Workers Day||1 May||Official holiday||Official holiday||Official holiday|
|Independence Day (Lunar Free State)||17 May||No observance||Official holiday||Observance outlawed|
|Barbecue Day||Last Sunday in May||Cultural holiday||No observance||No observance|
|Habitation Day||14 June||Official holiday||Official holiday||Cultural holiday|
|Synchronization Day||2 July||Non-holiday official observance||Non-holiday official observance||Non-holiday official observance|
|Independence Day (United States)||4 July||Official holiday||No observance||No observance|
|Apollo Day||20 July||Official holiday||Cultural holiday||Cultural holiday|
|China National Day||28 July||No observance||Cultural holiday||Official holiday|
|Armstrong's Birthday||5 August||Official holiday||Cultural holiday||No observance|
|Launch Day||Second Tuesday in September||Official holiday||Official holiday||No observance|
|Landing Day||8 October||No observance||Cultural holiday||Official holiday|
|Festivus||23 December||Cultural holiday||Cultural holiday||Cultural holiday|
|Christmas||25 December||Official holiday||Official holiday||Cultural holiday|
|New Year's Eve||31 December||Cultural holiday||Cultural holiday||Cultural holiday|
Oh, are we doing superhero stuff? Okay!"Crisis?,Which Crisis?" the 87th Superhero and metahuman matters thread 10/27/2021
Frigging amazing thisArmies and armed militias in the United States, ordered by size
THE BIG BOYS
1. Grand Army of the Republic - The standing army of the Union. Under the direct control of the president once again, after many decades of decentralized command to prevent military rule (because that worked so well before). Hasn't been deployed internationally in a decade due to trouble at home. Hard at work combating separatism and partisan strife. Largely seen as a neutral institution compared to its past.
2. American Irish Republican Army - American sect of the Irish Republican Army, although to hear them tell it, they're the main branch and only one with direct lineage to the original Volunteers as well as the Fenian Brotherhood. In its heyday, the A-IRA once claimed to have more members than the entire population of Ireland when including non-armed members and supporters. Still the largest paramilitary in the Union and second job for policemen and firefighters across the nation. Since liberalization and the Century Settlement, no longer involved in regular combat, but still around in solidarity with the oppressed brothers back home and because they're worried the Protestants will fire the first shot. Neutered due to large membership overlap with the Workers Party.
3. Union Gendarmery - Domestic police force of the Union, with a national presence. These days reduced in size due the increasing prevalence of the Grand Army operating at home.
4. Royal New England Constabulary - An international affiliate of the English force of the similar name, formed during the period of Anglo-American cooperation under Buckner to combat the ascendant Irish American bloc due to their support of the homeland Irish. Quickly became the voice of Northern Protestants seeking to combat immigration from the Irish and other ethnic Catholics. Although anti-Irish violence has declined in recent decades, the Constabulary is still a substitute for policing across the Northeast and stands ready in case violence across the pond incites anger at home.
5. New Sons of Liberty - Revolutionary group claiming descent from the 18th century organization that was outlawed in the Buckner era before re-emerging as the armed wing of the nascent Workers Party. Although disbanded after the revolution, the New Sons, third of the name, were formed post-liberalization in order to maintain a socialist militia to withstand governance during liberal periods.
6. Garibaldi Carabinieri - Armed wing of Italian political parties and directly associated with homeland unionist parties and organizations. Will take any orders from the American government as long they don't run against Italian interests. Refuse to fight against the Irish.
7. John Brown's Army - Multiracial coalition for warfare against white nationalist forces, Catholic, Protestant, and God Worshipping. Formed as an abolitionist paramilitary in the 19th century. Many Workers Party functionaries and representatives came from the JBA.
8. Jackson Legion - Legion of internationally recruited mercenaries paid handsomely by old southern elites to defend their interests against "those people."
SPLITTERS AND SYCOPHANTS
9. Minutemen - New England unionist militia sanctioned by state governments to promote unionism and fight against both sectarian armies. Fiercely loyal to federal government.
10. Western Sons of Liberty - Splitters from the News Sons who wanted to build a white enclave in the mountain regions. The primary white nationalist force west of the Mississippi with national reach and wealth, but unable to holdout against the Grand Army for long.
11. Knights of Buckner - Protectors of the lost kingdom. Although the crown and anyone who might claim it are gone, the Knights still remain, composed of direct descendants of the original knights and military aristocrats of the second royal period. Don't really engage in military activity but will use any crisis as an excuse to try to use their political power to advocate a return to military aristocracy.
12. Sons of Moses - Black Christian extremist group who promote racial separatism and the movement of all blacks to Canaan. Strongly against any sort of racial mixing and collaborators with various white nationalist groups.
13. 6 September Movement - The armed wing of the former Communist Party from its outlaw days that still stands as the further left alternative to the Workers Party and associated elements, who they accuse of liberalism.
having read robert caro's texas adventure, i didn't intend that to be what to take out of it: the main idea is that after LBJ got cloned, the hard-conservative texas oilman economic support he had gotten before had completely fallen off, so he got outspent by Pappy O'DanielSomething tells me Aggie Lyndon B. Johnson was very unlike his prototype in personality