• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by msmp

1. M

Max's election maps and assorted others

That's the most blue I think I've ever seen in Paris
  2. M

This is one of many reasons the Saar is one of my favorite areas of study professionally. It's really wild how such a small piece of land (relatively speaking) went through such political turmoil in the 20th century, even by comparison to other contested areas in Europe. Have you ever looked...
  3. M

Given it didn't really start to do that in terms of the national conversation until Willy Brandt took power, I think this is a very safe conclusion to draw. I don't know that it would be as bad as say, Austria or Spain in terms of significant political forces denying that the prior regime was...
  4. M

Given that's the 1994 map, we're only seven years away from one of the single most explosive turns of subcontinent history, too.
  5. M

This is the single wildest thing I have read in ages, and it's also entirely accurate.
  6. M

Plus ça change, the old imperial borders are still pretty obvious, though less so than in the past. I think that's an artifact of the non-KO opposition failing to top the poll anywhere, though.
  7. M

Incredible map again, Ares! Am I correct in assuming none of these have maintained legal distinctions in the modern day? And if so, were they simply merged with other local government units, or is there another status they gained?
  8. M

Name a better duo than "British colonial legislatures" and "wildly unequal constituencies." Awesome writeup too, Ares! One question: what's the small (I'm guessing urban/town-based), two-seat constituency in the modern-day Eastern Cape, a bit Northwest of (what was then) Port Elizabeth?
  9. M

What's the primary language for Indian/Asian South Africans? English? I ask because Durban sticks out quite clearly on both maps, and I seem to recall that being the major center for the Indian population in SA.
  10. M

You have no idea how neat it is to finally see this--thanks, Ares!
  11. M

Part of that, I'm sure, is that the Germans have always been meticulous record-keepers, regardless of the era; it's one of the reasons prosecution of Nazi war criminals was possible in the first place. Press coverage pre-Nazi was also slightly less restricted than National-era SA, I think.
  12. M

The only consistent place for election maps that I remember back when I was in undergrad (~2007-2011) was Adam Carr's website, and he didn't map every country who he gathered statistics for (and now has scaled back to just Australia and state elections). Now there's plenty of people and it's...
  13. M

Fantastic work--I'm very eager to see how far you guys can go in finally filling this gap. South Africa has to be one of the only G20 nations left that doesn't have a solid, historical electoral map database online.
  14. M

Was this the case pre-apartheid as well, with overly large municipal councils? Because if not, I could see it being an effort to ensure effective multi-community representation after decades of vast swaths of the population going without any say whatsoever. Especially since, IIRC, there are FPTP...
  15. M

Please tell me the Speaker's name actually is Vasco da Gama and that isn't a placeholder. It would make my week.
Back