• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Wikiboxes and infoboxes

The most typical way to make wikiboxes has been to, first, make an account on wikipedia, copy-and-paste a wikibox from a wikipedia page into your personal account sandbox, and then edit the stuff in it to what you want. You'd also need to (if you're making wikiboxes with a map or diagram) install Inkscape into your machine, download the SVG file you want to change, edit it using Inkscape, upload it to Wikimedia Commons, and then put it in your wikibox. However, I recommend you do not do this, as wikipedia has a policy against this now. I am not sure how enforced it is, but I would not try my luck.

You can use this site instead for making your wikibox - you just follow the steps I've outlined above but, instead of using a Wikipedia sandbox you use this site's sandbox, and you upload your images to it.

The way I prefer to make wikiboxes is by using mock templates I have made on Inkscape by tracing screenshots of wikiboxes. Here's an entire folder of various templates, though as I know it's messy here is a template for US presidential elections. It's also not too hard to trace wikibox screenshots yourself.

However, I recommend you do not do this, as wikipedia has a policy against this now. I am not sure how enforced it is, but I would not try my luck.
It always has: that's just an essay (and, well, there are sandboxes that have been up for years despite those policies against it...).

It's possible to circumvent uploading to Wikimedia Commons by editing maps, custom portraits, etc. in at a later stage when stitching it together, which is what I do/did. Also: if you do use Wikipedia, use Incognito mode so that the links are consistently blue rather than purple.

It always has: that's just an essay (and, well, there are sandboxes that have been up for years despite those policies against it...).

It's possible to circumvent uploading to Wikimedia Commons by editing maps, custom portraits, etc. in at a later stage when stitching it together, which is what I do/did. Also: if you do use Wikipedia, use Incognito mode so that the links are consistently blue rather than purple.
This is also what I do. And in order to avoid any trouble, I don't save anything to Wikipedia, I only use the preview function and take screenshots from there. I generally insert graphics via inspect element and make minor adjustments in Paint.

I always preferred to edit wikiboxes directly in Paint etc as said above, but at some point I forgot what fonts they used (or they changed it)
Inspect Element tells me it’s “sans-serif” which defaults to Arial or Helvetica (which are pretty similar most of the time) on most browsers and machines.

That reminds me, you can always edit wikiboxes with Inspect Element if you don’t want to worry about fonts or stuff like that, in case your changes aren’t too dramatic.

Back