• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI: the Democratic Party were Banned

rosa

I'm not aware of any proposal for doing such, but if there are, I'd love to see them, but what would the ramifications be if the Democratic party were banned immediately following the ACW, in effect during the 1866 and 1868 elections? Obviously, another party would be formed, but what shape could it take?

I'm not aware of any proposal for doing such, but if there are, I'd love to see them, but what would the ramifications be if the Democratic party were banned immediately following the ACW, in effect during the 1866 and 1868 elections? Obviously, another party would be formed, but what shape could it take?

I'm not sure it would be constitutional to ban the party.

I'm not sure it would be constitutional to ban the party.
It could be argued either way, and the Supreme Court could very well decide it constitutional, considering the makeup of the Supreme Court at the time. Either way, I'm asking what if it were to happen, not how plausible it may or may not be.

well for starters johnson’s national union probably gets off the ground as opposed to it simply falling due to it basically being a democratic party but without the machine power

now this does bring up some interesting questions - particularly around a potential impeachment + removal of johnson with a slightly more radical republican congress, which honestly probably does happen, and a more radical congress also almost 100% guarantees an annexation of the DR.

not only that but the legal precedent used to ban the democrats implies a much harsher reconstruction, so i’m assuming that many prominent leaders of the CSA are either strung up or left to rot

now, let’s talk about the ramifications of this on the republicans. first and foremost without a democratic party and presumably without a klan, the US is a dominant party state until at least the 1890s. that begs the question: how do republicans evolve? it’s pretty plausible that they could end up being a strange mix of vengeful christians who hate immigration mixed with support for civil rights and breaking down the planter class. this will come both as a result of the republicans know-nothing roots and the fact that they’ll at least be cracking some skulls in tammany, let alone the other ethnic white machines. there was also a general sentiment, expressed most famously by sherman that the us had to somehow bring gods wrath down on the south, which may happen.

this strain of what we’ll call “christian democracy” will likely have many non-democratic party opponents, specifically classical liberals, like charles adams, who were major supporters/members of the liberal republican party in 72 and of the gold democrats in 96, which means yes, you can get the christian democratic/libertarian party system we’ve all salivated over.

there’s also the possibility of a radical left wing opposition party, based in the leftist aspects of the populists/greenbacks/agrarians, empowered blacks, immigrant class, and some other white poor organizations, standing in opposition to the republicans. the only issue is keeping these groups united throughout their differences and without the bryanite christianity that will certainly exist in the republican party.

either way a major jumping point for either group could be a growth in american imperialism, which could definitely be utilized by the left/classical liberals

this is a very interesting idea though and i’m a big fan as always rosa.

This reminds me of a more realistic version of rvbomally's Ad Astra Per Aspera with a harsher Reconstruction leading to a one-party state which espouses an antiracial, culturally chauvinist ultranationalism. The anti-racial imperialism shown by the annexation of Dominica, combined with anti-immigrant/foreign culture sentiment, and combined with fear of the aforementioned radical-left partie(s), which under a dominant-party system may spawn 1 or more militant factions, could lead to a similar ideology.

There was a thread about this like a week ago/ destroying an American Political Party is entirely an authors fiat thing, do it however you want. I'm always down for a War Democrat split with the machines and Copperheads in 1864.

Back