• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI: The Cold War never ended? What would be the impacts on Pop Culture, Technology, and World Politics?

TheKennedyMachine

Pronouns
she/her
Let's say things wind up going well for the Soviets throughout the 70s and 80s. Maybe they never invade Afghanistan, Chernobyl goes better, and Gorbachev never comes to power.

The Cold War continues on right into the 1990s and (possibly) the 2000s, how would this singular/massive change to history change things for the long run?

Let's say things wind up going well for the Soviets throughout the 70s and 80s. Maybe they never invade Afghanistan, Chernobyl goes better, and Gorbachev never comes to power.

The Cold War continues on right into the 1990s and (possibly) the 2000s, how would this singular/massive change to history change things for the long run?

I mean there are times you could say there were multiple phases to the Cold War. That you never really had things go seriously and peace was a relative thing give or take the proxy wars. Changes in the long run are hard to go parse, you might need a more stable middle east, but that could mean or need an 'end' to the Cold War.

The obvious pop culture impact is you lose the decade and a half of Western media going "cor, the USSR was big and impressive, Russia now is messy, look at all the faded glory". That's a lot of stuff!
That’s a very true observation. Though, I wonder if we’d see a continuation of the Reagan Era’s massively anti communist films like Red Dawn and Rocky IV, or would we see more sympathetic portrayals of the USSR?

There'd probably be a pendulum swing back to more sympathetic portrayals and then back to Red Dawn II: Red Dusk and back & forth every few years.

The obvious pop culture impact is you lose the decade and a half of Western media going "cor, the USSR was big and impressive, Russia now is messy, look at all the faded glory". That's a lot of stuff!
Also the fear of nuclear annihilation wouldn't fade nearly as much as it did OTL, which probably means a lot more grim, mutant populated wastelands in sci-fi.

We don't get Goldeneye- a generation of kids don't argue about watching each other's side of the screen, and TTL's @Meadow goes through life with an odd listlessness.

In general, a lot of 90s technothrillers are going to have to find something else for their villains to do without all those Soviet surplus superweapons floating about following the lax security standards the transition to capitalism brought about - hey, that's what happened per these works.

In general though I suppose it does depend on what form the continuing Cold War takes as it goes into the 90s and the 20th century. Pop culture was often reflexive when referencing the Cold War, whether directly or metaphorically, to whatever the feeling was at the time. Look at the evolution of nuclear disaster as portrayed in popular films - in the 50s it was metaphorical through giant bugs, then in the 60s it was very direct with all those flashpoints, as a genre it decreased in number during the 70s at the time of détente, before coming back bigger (and more realistic) than ever in the 80s as a result of increasing tensions. That's something of a simplification, and as with everything there are exceptions, but it does show how things would change depending on what's going on politically/militarily.

It's difficult to speculate without a skeleton of an idea for how things progress, but a few things we might know:

James Bond will be very different, it might still go on hiatus following Licence to Kill since that was as much to do with legal issues as changing political times. It's not going away for ever so long as Cubby is alive, of course, but when it comes back the films may be (plot-wise) closer to those of the 1980s. I'd bet Pierce Brosnan still becomes Bond however, they were gunning for him since the 80s, after all.

That whole slew of films dealing with ex-Cold Warriors at every level now left with nothing to do won't be a thing. This wasn't confined to spy films like Ronin, however; Falling Down is steeped in this too with the main character being a defence (D-FENS) engineer laid off.

Strangely enough, we sort of have a weird example of how a major part of 1990s pop culture would have looked if the Cold War was still a thing. In the first season of The Simpsons the family take in an Albanian exchange student who turns out to be a spy; perhaps we'd have had more instances of Homer saying things like "The machinery of capitalism is oiled with the blood of the workers."

Last edited:
Strangely enough, we sort of have a weird example of how a major part of 1990s pop culture would have looked if the Cold War was still a thing. In the first season of The Simpsons the family take in an Albanian exchange student who turns out to be a spy; perhaps we'd have had more instances of Homer saying things like "The machinery of capitalism is oiled with the blood of the workers."

The Crepes of Wrath was aired on April 15, 1990. Back then, Albania was still ruled by Enver Hoxha's protege Ramiz Alia, who concurrently served as First Secretary of the PPSh and Chairman of the Presidium. It was a one-party Marxist-Leninist dictatorship that was essentially North Korea-but-in-Europe due to Hoxha's foreign policy alignments. The drive that rapidly led to the end for Communism in Albania wouldn't get started until nearly 8 months later when students in the capital started what soon became a widespread protest for the introduction of democratic reforms.

The Soviet Union would continue to exist for well over another year and a half. Again, the episode aired on 15 April 1990. Though Estonia and Lithuania had both already declared their independence by that point, Latvia would first follow on May 4th. Yeltsin would first be elected chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Russian SFSR on May 29th. The Two-Plus-Four Treaty allowing for German Reunification would first be signed on September 12th.

The August Coup by the hardliners in Moscow would first take place in, well, August, but in the year 1991, a full year and four months after the episode had aired, and the Soviet Union itself would first cease to exist in late December of 1991, well over a year and a half after The Crepes of Wrath.

It's astonishing to think it, but when that episode aired, the notion of Eastern European Communist countries hadn't become retro or anachronistic yet.

It's astonishing to think it, but when that episode aired, the notion of Eastern European Communist countries hadn't become retro or anachronistic yet.

I never tire of repeating the fact that during the first season of Cops (1989) they recorded a special overseas episode... in Leningrad. Although this might be more telling of the fact that even before Communism fell there were plenty who considered the Cold War a thing of the past.

Mega-City One and the East Meggers were getting chummy under glasnost in 1990, in a story likely written in 1989.

I watched a Murder, She Wrote yesterday where a character refers to being "a cryptographer during the Cold War" in the past tense. The episode aired in March 1988.

I think it’s very likely Reaganite neoconservatism remains massively popular.

A massive factor would be the Internet, which was already becoming a thing, even at the end of Soviet Union.

Ronald Reagan wasn't a neoconservative. He wasn't a paleoconservative either, though. He was a New Right conservative.

Is this like the difference between speed metal and thrash metal?

I'm sure my life would made be immeasurably poorer by not having to the turn radio off/press mute when Wind of Change by The Scorpions comes on.

Is this like the difference between speed metal and thrash metal?

I'm sure my life would made be immeasurably poorer by not having to the turn radio off/press mute when Wind of Change by The Scorpions comes on.
Ehhhhhhhh---

Nah. He was pretty neocon. His policies in South America and Grenada is proof of that.
Neoconservatives were mostly former Scoop Jackson Democrats, which Reagan wasn't.
Neoconservatives sometimes criticized Reagan's foreign policy, read https://www.nytimes.com/1982/05/02/...ive-anguish-over-reagan-s-foreign-policy.html.

Back