• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI Roosevelt does not become NY governor in '28?

Vidal

Pronouns
he/him
I was hoping to get a little discussion going about what might happen if Franklin Roosevelt had passed on the 1928 New York gubernatorial election, as he initially had wanted to do.

First, the POD: Jean Edward Smith, in his biography of Roosevelt, spends a few pages on the pressure FDR faced to run for governor in 1928. Albert Ottinger, the NY Atty. General, was the Republican nominee and well-liked. It was also going to be a Republican year. Two of the Democrats' initial candidates were sidelined due to poor health and eventually death and so the Party had no one to go up against them. Al Smith, the '28 presidential nominee, worried that a weak candidate would drive down support in NY for him, which was a must-win state if he had any hope of capturing the White House. He and the NY Party leaned heavily on FDR, but FDR was hesitant for the reasons mentioned above (namely that he feared losing would end his career) and the fact that he wanted to recover the ability to walk before entering into a gubernatorial campaign. So, let's say FDR stays firm when called upon to run for Governor of NY and assures John Jacob Raskob that he will not accept the nomination on the eve of the Convention. The Democrats nominate someone else for governor and they go on to lose to Ottinger.

Next, what happens in NY? I think there's a very good chance that Ottinger follows the lead of other Republican governors with a slow response to the Great Depression. Many of these Republicans lost their 1930 reelection campaigns (most states still had two-year terms for governor back then), and so it seems plausible that Ottinger loses here. Of course, FDR may be the nominee, but in my opinion, it seems the likelier nominee is fmr. Governor Al Smith, who will be plotting a 1932 presidential campaign and will see being an incumbent governor as a boon to his chances. If Smith wants the nomination, he's got it.

So, what about the 1932 presidential election? My initial impression, given the 2/3rds rule and the South's objections to Smith, he does not seem to be the most likely nominee in my mind. Instead, I think some other compromise candidate emerges. One that gets some mention is Albert Ritchie, though my initial impression of him is that he was more of a "Wikipedia candidate," it seems that some did view him as an option for a more conservative compromise candidate. What do others think? There's also Newton Baker, somewhere in between a conservative candidate and a progressive, and then William McAdoo, who is probably the most progressive you could get through the 1932 convention. Are there others I'm forgetting? Garner is also there, and he has the support of Hearst, but it feels to me that the 2/3rds rule is also going to hinder his chances...

Who do we think emerges as the '32 Democratic nominee, and therefor the 32nd president? And how do they govern differently from Roosevelt? Is it possible that a more conservative Democrat might be in jeopardy of losing reelection in 1936, either by losing the nomination or the general election?

A name I don’t see often talked about is Burton K. Wheeler. At first glance he may look too progressive (in almost every sense of the word) for the 1932 DNC, but by then the Montana Senator had already built a pretty strong profile for himself, primarily due to his campaign for Thomas Gore in 1930. Wheeler is hardly a favorite, but at a convention where a lot is at play, the various factions may just decide that ratfucking the other is their best play, and as a result Wheeler, who didn’t really make any enemies within the party yet, could weasel through.

A name I don’t see often talked about is Burton K. Wheeler. At first glance he may look too progressive (in almost every sense of the word) for the 1932 DNC, but by then the Montana Senator had already built a pretty strong profile for himself, primarily due to his campaign for Thomas Gore in 1930. Wheeler is hardly a favorite, but at a convention where a lot is at play, the various factions may just decide that ratfucking the other is their best play, and as a result Wheeler, who didn’t really make any enemies within the party yet, could weasel through.

That's another good name... His foreign policy also gets interesting given the lead-up to WWII, but it seems likely to me that almost any stand-in for Roosevelt does not run in 1940, right?

As an aside, a little more attention on Thomas Gore on these sites would not be a bad thing. Of course, my account name comes from his grandson, so I'm biased.

That's another good name... His foreign policy also gets interesting given the lead-up to WWII, but it seems likely to me that almost any stand-in for Roosevelt does not run in 1940, right?

As an aside, a little more attention on Thomas Gore on these sites would not be a bad thing. Of course, my account name comes from his grandson, so I'm biased.
The likes of Ritchie, Baker and McAdoo wouldn’t because there hart would likely stop beating by then, Wheeler wouldn’t out of principal, but if someone like Al Smith or Alfalfa Bill Murray find themselves in the same state of affairs as FDR in 1940, I’m sure they’d at least give it a shot.

The likes of Ritchie, Baker and McAdoo wouldn’t because there hart would likely stop beating by then, Wheeler wouldn’t out of principal, but if someone like Al Smith or Alfalfa Bill Murray find themselves in the same state of affairs as FDR in 1940, I’m sure they’d at least give it a shot.

This is a good point, too. Part of the fun here I forgot about is that many of the top contenders were destined to not complete two full terms. So, of course, their running mate becomes interesting…

Who do we think emerges as the '32 Democratic nominee, and therefor the 32nd president? And how do they govern differently from Roosevelt?

Let's consider Wheeler and then Baker as the first two, because they present such a contrast in foreign policy.

Wheeler is all good with strict neutrality legislation and what we traditionally call 'isolationism'. The interesting thing is, in his first term, he is not confronted directly by too many things that directly deal with taking on, or avoiding trouble with the Axis. Sino-Japanese situation had a bit of a calming pause. All Hitler did was take power and Rhineland (more France's concern). The main other things were the Italo-Abyssinian war and Spanish Civil War.

Wheeler is happy of course to play the dove on all these.

I think in the Americas, as both a progressive, and an isolationist, FDR's Good Neighbor policy towards Latin America will be *exactly* his style, reducing interventions.

I imagine though he'd have no problem recognizing the USSR as trade and diplomatic thing, not a strategic thing, without having personal ideological objections.

Concrete questions would include how far does he take isolationism? Does he use the Depression emergency as an excuse to cut Navy and Army funding further? (Unlike FDR, he was never an official in that department, and never represented a state with shipyards). Does he support the Ludlow Amendment on a referendum requirement for wars?

Does a desire to avoid overseas entanglements in Europe, and even the Far East, like in China-Japan issues, cause him to work with Congress to legislate a faster track for the independence of the Philippines?

Even if he is full bore isolationist and antimilitarist, nothing should happen to specifically US interests in this time through 1936 that would appear to discredit the approach, so he should be good for reelection in 1936. His isolationism would be more consequential in his second term, when the emerging Axis states are getting bolder. I am not going to play it all out in detail here though.

I picture Wheeler largely doing the New Deal, but with more of a rural populist, farmer/miner angle and less of an urbanist angle.

....so much for Burton K. Wheeler.

Now Newton Baker - he was an internationalist. He of course would be constrained by Congressional and public opinion though, and the priority of domestic emergencies. He was somewhat progressive, but it would be interesting to see if his reform packages somehow incorporate any of his Georgist ideas.

Perhaps his internationalism makes him more committed in his first term than FDR was to multilateral solutions to financial and trade problems, if anything helpful can be done on that basis.

He will chafe at over-restrictive neutrality laws and the Ludlow Amendment campaign. He would be at least as supportive of armed forces spending as FDR, if not more. He's not guaranteed to get out of meddling in Latin America, but may, like FDR, and even late Hoover, think micromanaging the region with Banana Wars is counterproductive.

Even if merchants of death hearings are held and strict neutrality laws are passed over his objections or veto, it is pretty much still within his executive powers to embargo Japan for aggression in China (or breakage of Naval treaties) if he wishes, without reference to Congress. He could be willing to do this, say at the start of his term, while there is still brushfire fighting going on in Manchuria. The main thing likely to prevent it from happening is that in 1933 a Japanese-Chinese truce put fighting, especially in visible cities that got news coverage, largely on ice until 1937, the rest of his first term. But if Baker does an embargo early on, maybe there's no truce and Chinese resistance actually stiffens and increases in 1933 and 1934.

If he doesn't embargo Japan, he could embargo Italy, over Abyssinia, but that's less likely.

Baker could also be more resistant to isolationist pressures over the Spanish Civil War. Selling arms to the Spanish government wouldn't have technically gone against the early 1930s neutrality laws [new laws would need to be invented for that case].

However, an issue by 1936 would be his health. He may not, especially if he appraises his health honestly, run for reelection, so a lot depends on who is nominated as his successor. If brings himself to run and get reelected through sheer will and it conceals or masks his health problems, he'll probably die early into his second term, so his Veep choice will be important.

...so much for Newton Baker...

As for Thomas Gore, I pretty much know nothing about him.

As for William Gibbs McAdoo, I guess I would just see him policy-wise as an FDR who can walk.

Is it possible that a more conservative Democrat might be in jeopardy of losing reelection in 1936, either by losing the nomination or the general election?
Barely. It is *possible* but not *likely* and streches plausibility. The Democrat in 1932, conservative, not conservative, whatever he is, has to not only be seen as ineffective or unresponsive on policy, but also needs to be simply unlucky as well. Fact is FDR took office as the business cycle was bottoming out. He helped people and businesses, but without active external shocks or policy sabotage, market forces were likely to recover some lost ground and enable the first post-Hoover President to use 'at least I'm not Hoover' to beat his Republican challenger.

Reading the Power Broker, it did appear that Smith wanted to work Moses in a position of power, Moses was a Republican but changed his affiliation in 1928 for Smith. I could see a scenario where Smith helps Moses get elected. He ran a terrible campaign in 1936 and once he gets elected he wouldn't get the free ride the press gave him as park commissioner but he is still a popular powerful politician. So we could see President Moses in ITTL

Reading the Power Broker, it did appear that Smith wanted to work Moses in a position of power, Moses was a Republican but changed his affiliation in 1928 for Smith. I could see a scenario where Smith helps Moses get elected. He ran a terrible campaign in 1936 and once he gets elected he wouldn't get the free ride the press gave him as park commissioner but he is still a popular powerful politician. So we could see President Moses in ITTL

This is interesting. Are you suggesting that Smith might push Moses to be the nominee in ‘28? Or that, after someone else loses ‘28, Smith might work to put Moses into the NY Governor’s Mansion in 1930, thereby installing an ally in the spot ahead of his own ‘32 campaign. When Smith fizzles in ‘32, then Moses is ready to go further…

Of course, one of these anti-Smith candidates, like Ritchie or Baker, may be inclined to name the young governor as their running mate in ‘32, and if they die on schedule, Moses assumes office.

Moses? As in, Robert Moses? Great... now the US will turn into a technocratic dystopia, or at least something that looks like it.
I can only assume that OP has a very deep grudge with someone on Urbanist Twitter. I myself had bad experiences with card-carrying NUMTOTs in undergrad, but even I use the Baltimore Light Rail and Metro when I need to.

Anyway, insert obligatory crossover-with-the-"careers in other countries"-thread timeline where Éamon de Valera fills FDR's historical roles of Governor of New York and then President, beats Huey Long at his own strongmanning game, joins the Axis, blah blah blah here

The Idea that Al Smith is just a Trojan horse for Robert Moses' worst impulses and none of his positives is frankly an exhausting concept. The various FDR types who only left Smith in 1932 when he wavered about running again, the architects of the New Deal are always going to be more influential then the one loyalist who had zero mass political skills who stayed with him.

James Farley and Frances Perkins are going to be in the Smith Cabinet if he wins for christsake!

The Power Broker borders on a hack job folks.

The Idea that Al Smith is just a Trojan horse for Robert Moses' worst impulses and none of his positives is frankly an exhausting concept. The various FDR types who only left Smith in 1932 when he wavered about running again, the architects of the New Deal are always going to be more influential then the one loyalist who had zero mass political skills who stayed with him.

James Farley and Frances Perkins are going to be in the Smith Cabinet if he wins for christsake!

The Power Broker borders on a hack job folks.
Al Smith is in general one of the more misrepresented historic figures by our little community. He would undoubtedly be more than a reactionary interlude before a progressive Republican defeats him in 1936.

Al Smith is in general one of the more misrepresented historic figures by our little community. He would undoubtedly be more than a reactionary interlude before a progressive Republican defeats him in 1936.
Perhaps 1928 gave him a better rap than he should have, and the history of anti-Catholic bigotry absolves him of his loss somewhat - but by 1935/36 he was going full Liberty League. Still, who would be the progressive Republican - Borah?

Perhaps 1928 gave him a better rap than he should have, and the history of anti-Catholic bigotry absolves him of his loss somewhat - but by 1935/36 he was going full Liberty League. Still, who would be the progressive Republican - Borah?
And the Liberty League period happened for very specific, and some very personal reasons, that doesn't reflect his politics in office, at all.

Edit: Mind you there is some stuff to talk about about the difference between Progressivism and Liberalism but also like, thats not what people tend to go on about.

Last edited:
But Smith himself felt the cheers were no more than Roosevelt deserved—and in September theGovernor asked Roosevelt to be his successor in Albany.Moses had argued against the choice. There are indications that he half-expected Smith to name him instead, to try to force him on the DemocraticParty. Although he had always identified himself as an "independentRepublican" when reporters asked him his political affiliation, he quietlyenrolled as a Democrat when he registered to vote in 1928—a bit ofopportunism that did him no good, since his name was never seriouslymentioned for the Governorship that year by Smith or anyone else.Moreover, among those men whose names were seriously considered,Roosevelt was the one Moses least wanted to get the post. He told theconclaves of Democratic leaders to which Smith brought him thatRoosevelt did not possess either the mental capacity or the application to beGovernor. To Frances Perkins, he said that Roosevelt's only asset was asmile. "It's a pity to have to have him and that Al has set his heart on him,"he told her. "It's un-doubtedly a good name to carry the ticket with . . . but, of course, he isn'tquite bright." The other Smith aides agreed with this view, but mentalcapacity was not as important to them as political realities. With "Rum,Romanism and Tammany" rapidly becoming the overriding issue of thepresidential campaign, they feared that only Roosevelt's name on the ticketcould keep New York's upstate Protestant Drys from stampeding into theRepublican camp—and denying Smith the forty-five electoral votes of hisown state. Estimating that Roosevelt was a full 200,000 votes stronger thanany other candidate, they felt that he was the only man with a chance todefeat the attractive GOP gubernatorial nominee, Attorney General AlbertOttinger. As for his ability, Smith's advisers felt he didn't need much; theyfelt that Moses' reorganization had so streamlined the state government thatRoosevelt's lack of administrative experience would not be serious. AndSmith himself had a higher opinion of Roosevelt's ability than his aides, and
he emphasized that Roosevelt's nomination would assure the party ofhaving a candidate of integrity.Roosevelt was genuinely reluctant to run—he and Howe had decided thatwith the nation prosperous under a Republican President, 1928 was notgoing to be a Democratic year and that their original timetable, calling for agubernatorial run in 1932, was correct. To stay out of the reach ofpersuasion while the State Democratic Convention was convening inRochester, he took himself off to Warm Springs. But he could not escapethe telephone, and over it Smith persuaded him to run. The next night, hewas nominated by acclamation. Moses turned to Emily Smith and said,shouting so she could hear him above the uproar: "He'll make a goodcandidate but a lousy Governor”
Smith had plenty to be bitter about. Roosevelt's systematic—and pointed—disregard of his predecessor had continued. Smith could not reconcilehimself to the fact that the younger man, of whom he had been so fond andto whom he had given the gubernatorial nomination, had turned on him.Friends who visited him in New York found that Roosevelt was becomingalmost an obsession with him. "Do you know, by God, that he has neverconsulted me about a damn thing since he has been Governor?" he said toone. "He has taken bad advice from sources not friendly to me. He hasignored me!"
But in early 1932, Smith's bitterness spilled over. His intimates would longdebate whether Smith entered the presidential race because he wanted thenomination himself or because he wanted to deny it to the man who hadtreated him so cavalierly. Probably both elements were mixed. Certainly,Smith was motivated by personal ambition: in 1932, he was, after all, onlyfifty-eight years old, still vigorous and bored with the life of a businessman.He was motivated also by the fact that the Depression made election of theDemocratic candidate, even a Catholic Democratic candidate, a virtualcertainty, and he desperately wanted to prove that being a Catholic and anIrishman did not disqualify a man from the presidency. One visitor,listening to Smith recount how it had been the religious issue that haddefeated him in 1928, said, "He felt so terribly hurt, so outraged by that, andthe point that he was making was that having been defeated on that issue ina year in which he was bound to be defeated, everybody, including FDR,should have stood aside to let him have the nomination in a year in whichhe could have been elected! He was very much wrought up about it, hepounded his fists and his voice got loud. He shouted at times in that
conversation." But no consideration was stronger than Smith's feelingstowardRoosevelt in pushing him at the last moment into a race foredoomed by thefact that Roosevelt had a four-year head start.Moses saw at once that the effort was hopeless. "The Smith movementnever had a chance," he was to recall. "It started very late, and really had noorganization to speak of." He never let himself be deluded by thosereminders of past glories which gave Belle Moskowitz, Henry Moskowitz,Judge Proskauer, Herbert Bayard Swope and George McLaughlin flashes ofhope: the rallying of Walker and Tammany to Smith's side after Roosevelthad authorized Samuel Seabury to investigate corruption in New York City;the defection to Smith's banner of big-city organizations and the consequentraising of his delegate count to 201; the wild cheers of the tremendousthrong that lined his route from the La Salle Street Station in Chicago to theCongress Hotel, where a Smith-for-President headquarters had been hastilyestablished. But practical realities did not weigh with Moses where AlSmith was concerned. Moses was one of those who struggled to the end inconvention maneuvering so bitter that Ed Flynn called it "a fight to thedeath," who fought to hold together an alliance of dark horses that deniedRoosevelt the nomination until the fourth ballot, who thought for a fewbrief hours that they actually had Roosevelt stopped and would be able toforce the party to turn to Smith, and whose hopes were finally dashed whenthe ex-Governor's old adversary, William Randolph Hearst, used hisinfluence with California's William G. McAdoo and John Nance Garner,Governor of Texas, to force the California and Texas delegations to switchto Roosevelt. Moses was one of the small group of friends who sat downwith Smith in front of a radio in the Congress Hotel to listen to the lastballot, who watched the former Governor haul himself wearily out of hischair as soon as McAdoo began the speech that signaled the Californiaswitch and with a wave of his hand direct them to start packing so theycould leave Chicago. He was one of those who sneaked out of the CongressHotel by a side door with Smith at the moment that crowds were jammingthe front entrance to greet the arriving Roosevelt, who listened to the ex-Governor, cornered by reporters, refuse to say he would support his party'schoice and who watched anxiously as Smith sat silent on the long train ride
home with his face marked by what one observer called a "tired sadness."And if Moses accepted Smith's defeat with his mind, he never accepted itwith his heart. A month after the convention, with "Happy Days Are HereAgain" drowning out the strains of "The Sidewalks of New York" forever inthe Democratic Party's consciousness, Smith's campaign staff held its firstand only reunion, complete with a menu featuring "Nuts McAdoo," "CeleryFarley" and "Branchless Olives Roosevelt" in the Empire State Club in theEmpire State Building. And Moses' contribution to the occasion reflectedhis bitterness. It was a quotation from Shakespeare that he selected for anepigraph on the menu's cover: Politics is a thieves' game.
"He had a real conviction about Smith," Moses told an interviewer. "Itamounted to an actual hatred. He felt that Smith had prevented him frombeing Governor and if he had been Governor he would have been President.Seabury hated the Governor, really hated him." By 1933, wrote a Seaburybiographer, "his anti-Tammany stand was not merely a cause. It was amania." The narrowness of his perspective made him feel that the mostsignificant fact about Moses was that he was Smith's protege. If Mosesbecame mayor, Seabury thought, the ex-Governor would have anopportunity to move Tammany quietly back into control of City Hall.Reform's great opportunity to cleanse the city, the opportunity he had givenit, would be lost.When Joseph Price, following the Fusion Conference Committee meeting,told Seabury its members were for Moses, Seabury refused to approve thechoice. And he strongly hinted—he would "reserve all personal liberty ofaction" was the way he put it—that if the committee nominated Moses, hewould enter his own candidate in the race. Recalling his own feelings,Moses said later: "Nobody could be elected without Seabury. With Seaburyon his side, anyone running on a Fusion ticket could have won that year.Without him—no, it would have been absolutely impossible to win." Mosesissued a statement saying: "I am not a candidate for the Fusion nominationfor mayor and should not accept the nomination if it were offered to me."The Fusion leaders agreed that Seabury's support was crucial. And even ifthey hadn't felt that way, they would have been reluctant to go against hiswishes. They began looking for other candidates. Price drafted an angrystatement of resignation from the committee. "The best equipped and mostable man considered for the Fusion nomination, a man fearless andindependent, was objected to by Judge Seabury upon the narrow-mindedreason that he is a close friend of Alfred E. Smith, the most popular man inNew York City," the statement said. "The Fusion Conference itself waspractically unanimous for Mr. Moses. . . ." But Price was persuaded towithdraw his resignation, to leave unpublished his statement—and to joinwith the rest of the committee in a search for another candidate.Five reformers were to be offered the nomination during the hectic weeksthat followed.
But these were men to whom politics was something more than an avenuefor the realization of personal ambitions. Two of the five—judges—said that they were happy being judges; a third, a business executive,preferred a career in private life to one in public. And if they did havepolitical ambitions, they subordinated them to principle. RaymondIngersoll, fifty-eight, a wealthy respected social worker who had served as apark commissioner in the Mitchel administration and as a campaignmanager in Smith's 1924 gubernatorial campaign, wanted to be mayor butwas afraid his health would not allow him to do the job properly, and so hedeclined the nomination. Then Seabury and Maurice P. Davidson, chairmanof the City Fusion Party, taking a room in the Hotel Commodore to avoidreporters, offered the nomination to Nathan Straus. Wrote Davidson: "Iremember how he came into the room; slim, well-groomed, and how heremoved his gloves, laid down his hat and cane, and how delighted he waswith the offer, and how he said 'nothing has occurred in my lifetime orwould ever occur which would bring me greater happiness than theopportunity to serve as mayor of the City of New York, but I ask forty-eighthours to consider.' We met again several days later, and he said that he haddiscussed the matter with some of his advisers and had decided to decline. .. . The ill-fated star of Adolf Hitler was rising. . . . Jews were accused byHitler of endeavoring to encompass the control and government of thewhole world. Ridiculous and absurd as those charges were, Nathan Strausrefused to accept a nomination for Mayor at a time when Herbert Lehmanwas Governor because it might give credence in some quarters to Mr.Hitler's charges. He felt that in the interest of the welfare of his own peopleof the Jewish faith and in order not to handicap the success of the reformmovement in New York it was up to him to subordinate any and all personalambition in the interests of the public good and he, too, therefore declined."There was a politician who wanted the nomination, wanted it desperately."Fiorello H. La Guardia was standing in the wings—not standing, butmoving around very, very rapidly," Davidson was to write. "He would sendfor me every once in a while and say, 'How are you getting on?' . . . Hewould say, 'Well, who's your latest mayor?' and I would tell him. He wouldjump around and shake his fist and he'd say, 'Well, there's only one man
going to be the candidate, and I'm the man. I'm going to run. I want to bemayor.' "La Guardia, a nominal Republican too liberal for most Republicans, hadalready lunged for the prize twice before. In 1921, president of the Board ofAldermen, he had sought the nomination from the Fusion committee ofwhich Moses was secretary, but the reformers had turned instead to HenryCurran, one of their own, and when La Guardia ran against Curran in theRepublican primary, he had failed to carry a single borough. In 1929, theLittle Flower had received the Republican nomination, and the onlyremarkable aspect of his campaign against Jimmy Walker, then at the heightof his popularity, was the size of his defeat: failing to carry a singleassembly district, La Guardia received only 367,675 votes to Walker's867,522. Then, in 1932, after five terms as a congressman from Latin EastHarlem, where he had constructed an aptly named personal Italian-Americanpolitical machine—the Gibboni (apes)—La Guardia had been defeated by aTammany hack. Out of a job at the age of fifty, branded a loser, only bywinning the mayoralty could he resuscitate a political career that seemed tobe gasping out its last breath.La Guardia possessed qualifications for making the run beyond the factthat, half Jewish and half Italian, married first to a Catholic and then to aLutheran of German descent, himself a Mason and an Episcopalian, he waspractically a balanced ticket all by himself. Campaigning for mayor in1929, he had made charges—many of the city's magistrates were corrupt;except for Al Smith, "there isn't a Tammany politician that would care tohave his bank account examined"—that the city had thought exaggerateduntil the Seabury investigations, which began just a month after theelection, had proved that most of them were understatements. As the TinBox Parade swung into full stride, the Times commented that La Guardiawas the only man with the right "to stand up in New York City today andsay: 'I told you so.'"But La Guardia, son of immigrants, raised in tenements, possessor ofneither a high-school nor an undergraduate college degree,* was from adifferent background than the reformers, and this was not an unimportant
point with them. The members of the Fusion Conference Committee, andmuch of that segment of New York for which the committee spoke, were, asone of La Guardia's biographers put it, "educated at the best colleges,financially secure, eminent in the professions and business, and primarilyold-stock American Protestant but also significantly Jewish. . . . The fusion-ists came, in short, from Gotham's gentry." And the attitude of many ofthem was, if not bigoted, at least parochial. "They preferred one of theirown kind as Mayor or at least a type more like themselves" than theswarthy little Italian-American.La Guardia's personal style was screaming, ranting, fist-shaking and morethan a little irresponsible. (Learning that a family had been burned to deathwhile the mother tried unsuccessfully to telephone the Fire Department, heinsinuated that the telephone company was guilty of murder. Testifyingbefore a legislative committee on rent controls, he said, "I come not topraise the landlord but to bury him.") These men who distrusted excessdistrusted him. And he did not hesitate to play melting-pot politics, to wavethe bloody flag, to appeal, in one of the seven languages in which he couldharangue an audience, to the insecurities, resentments and prejudices of theethnic groups in the immigrant district he had represented in Congress. ("Ican outdemagogue the best of demagogues," he told one aide. "I inventedthe low blow," he boasted to another.) His naked ambition for high office,his cockiness, truculence and violent temper—while he was president of theBoard of Aldermen, Curran once had to restrain him physically fromstriking the City Comptroller—repelled them.
* He had earned an LL.B. from New York University Law School byattending classes, mostly in the evening, from 1907 to 1910.Furthermore, although the reformers considered themselves liberals, theirdefinition of the term was decidedly pre-Depression, and La Guardia wasfar too liberal for them. A New Dealer before the New Deal, he made acareer for himself as a leader of the have-nots against the haves—and theywere haves. His efforts in Congress might have made him, in hisbiographer's words, "the plumed knight of organized labor," but organizedlabor, militant, aggressive organized labor, was not precisely whatreformers had in mind when they spoke moist-eyed of the working man. LaGuardia lashed out, moreover, at the city's businessmen who were Fusion'sfinancial cornerstones, charging, without offering proof, that big propertyowners were receiving low assessments on their property. When in 1929 heattempted to falsely persuade voters that he was a Fusion as well as aRepublican candidate, the Citizens Union replied with a statementcharacterizing him as an opportunistic, excitable, unpredictable radical.Many reformers, La Guardia's biographers say, were happy that his ousterfrom Congress had apparently put an end to "an obnoxious career propelledby unstable and dangerous ambitions." The fact that in 1933 La Guardiawas "the only professional Republican politician in the city who coulddramatize both himself and an issue" did not move them. Moreover,Republican leaders detested this Republican whom they considered aradical. They flatly refused to accept him. Seabury, while not committinghimself, noted that La Guardia was an excellent campaigner; the judgewanted to win. But every time La Guardia's name was brought up, it wasgreeted with open hostility by most other members of the FusionConference Committee. Running out of candidates, they began again tolean to Moses. Price asked him to reconsider his withdrawal. Seabury beganpushing more strongly for La Guardia, possibly because he saw him as theonly remaining viable alternative to Moses, but on July 26 Price took aninformal telephone poll of the Fusion Conference Committee. The vote waseighteen for Moses, five for La Guardia. Moses agreed to let Price presenthis name again. He felt that Seabury, confronted by the fait accompli of thenomination, would not split the movement and would back him.
The Fusion leaders felt the same way. A meeting of the committee wasscheduled for the following afternoon at the Lawyers Club, 115 Broadway,at 3 p.m. A room was reserved. Reporters were alerted that an importantannouncement would be made. Everything was in readiness to offer Mosesthe Fusion nomination for Mayor of the City of New York. As late as noonon July 27, Moses must have felt confident that he had it.But at noon on July 27, three hours before the meeting was to convene,Seabury invited Davidson to lunch at the Bankers Club and demanded thenomination for La Guardia. When Davidson told him that the committeehad decided to give it to Moses, Seabury struck the table with his clenchedfist so hard that dishes rattled loudly in the suddenly hushed dining room."You sold out to Tammany Hall," the judge shouted. "I'll denounce you andeverybody else. You sold out the movement to Tammany Hall." Leaving hisguest at the table, he strode out of the dining room to theelevator. Davidson, remonstrating, followed, but Seabury, in the elevator,turned and said, "You sold out. Goodbye"—and the door shut in Davidson'sface.Striding back to his office, which was located at 120 Broadway, directlyacross from the Lawyers Club where the Fusion Committee was to meet,Seabury issued a statement broadly hinting that he would run another ticket.The Fusion leaders, realizing that they had miscalculated, began to searchfrantically for a new candidate. Moses, learning of these developments bytelephone from Price, told him that he didn't want his name placed innomination.In an attempt to placate Seabury while not alienating the Republicans, whostill refused to nominate La Guardia, the committee nominated independentDemocrat John F. O'Ryan, former member of the City Transit Commission.The reporters covering the Fusion meeting ran across Broadway toSeabury's office to learn his reaction. Seabury hardly knew O'Ryan—andsince he knew his ignorance was shared by the voters, he believed O'Ryancould not win. Seeing by now a tiger behind every bush, the Judge told thereporters that this was the reason O'Ryan had been nominated. Tammany, hecharged, had forced Republican leaders, some of whom "have long been the
owned and operated chattels of Tammany Hall," to nominate a weakcandidate. O'Ryan withdrew for the sake of unity. A new "harmonycommittee" was formed. It included not only Seabury but the one man whocould match him in prestige among the reformers, Charles Culp ("CC")Burlingham, who at eighty-two still had the gift of making men forget theirdifferences and remember their common cause. When Seabury began toroar "sellout" during one harmony committee meeting, Burlingham said,"Sit down, Sam, sit down." While the other members goggled at hearing theBishop called by his first name, he sat down. And after midnight on August4, CC persuaded the committee members, with the exception of Price andDavidson, who held out for Moses to the last, to authorize Seabury to call awaiting La Guardia and tell him the nomination was his.The reform movement of New York City had wanted Robert Moses formayor. Of all the influential reformers, only one had been firmly opposed tohim. Given the almost certain success in 1933 of a Fusion ticket headed byso popular a candidate, it is hardly an overstatement to say that only oneman had stood between Moses and the mayoralty, between Moses andsupreme power in the city. But that man had stood fast; at the last moment,as Moses must have felt the prize securely within his grasp, it was deniedhim

Just added a few bits from the Power Broker. Moses was arguably Smith's closest friend espically after he left office, when Al was governor FDR would hang out with Moses so he could get to Smith. I can defo see Moses trying to crown Moses for a role either Governor or Mayor, even his endorsement if Moses runs as a republican would hugely help. What Moses would do in office or president remains to be seen but he is a big anglophile so maybe earlier intervention if we are ignoring the butterflies.

But Smith himself felt the cheers were no more than Roosevelt deserved—and in September theGovernor asked Roosevelt to be his successor in Albany.Moses had argued against the choice. There are indications that he half-expected Smith to name him instead, to try to force him on the DemocraticParty. Although he had always identified himself as an "independentRepublican" when reporters asked him his political affiliation, he quietlyenrolled as a Democrat when he registered to vote in 1928—a bit ofopportunism that did him no good, since his name was never seriouslymentioned for the Governorship that year by Smith or anyone else.Moreover, among those men whose names were seriously considered,Roosevelt was the one Moses least wanted to get the post. He told theconclaves of Democratic leaders to which Smith brought him thatRoosevelt did not possess either the mental capacity or the application to beGovernor. To Frances Perkins, he said that Roosevelt's only asset was asmile. "It's a pity to have to have him and that Al has set his heart on him,"he told her. "It's un-doubtedly a good name to carry the ticket with . . . but, of course, he isn'tquite bright." The other Smith aides agreed with this view, but mentalcapacity was not as important to them as political realities. With "Rum,Romanism and Tammany" rapidly becoming the overriding issue of thepresidential campaign, they feared that only Roosevelt's name on the ticketcould keep New York's upstate Protestant Drys from stampeding into theRepublican camp—and denying Smith the forty-five electoral votes of hisown state. Estimating that Roosevelt was a full 200,000 votes stronger thanany other candidate, they felt that he was the only man with a chance todefeat the attractive GOP gubernatorial nominee, Attorney General AlbertOttinger. As for his ability, Smith's advisers felt he didn't need much; theyfelt that Moses' reorganization had so streamlined the state government thatRoosevelt's lack of administrative experience would not be serious. AndSmith himself had a higher opinion of Roosevelt's ability than his aides, and
he emphasized that Roosevelt's nomination would assure the party ofhaving a candidate of integrity.Roosevelt was genuinely reluctant to run—he and Howe had decided thatwith the nation prosperous under a Republican President, 1928 was notgoing to be a Democratic year and that their original timetable, calling for agubernatorial run in 1932, was correct. To stay out of the reach ofpersuasion while the State Democratic Convention was convening inRochester, he took himself off to Warm Springs. But he could not escapethe telephone, and over it Smith persuaded him to run. The next night, hewas nominated by acclamation. Moses turned to Emily Smith and said,shouting so she could hear him above the uproar: "He'll make a goodcandidate but a lousy Governor”
Smith had plenty to be bitter about. Roosevelt's systematic—and pointed—disregard of his predecessor had continued. Smith could not reconcilehimself to the fact that the younger man, of whom he had been so fond andto whom he had given the gubernatorial nomination, had turned on him.Friends who visited him in New York found that Roosevelt was becomingalmost an obsession with him. "Do you know, by God, that he has neverconsulted me about a damn thing since he has been Governor?" he said toone. "He has taken bad advice from sources not friendly to me. He hasignored me!"
But in early 1932, Smith's bitterness spilled over. His intimates would longdebate whether Smith entered the presidential race because he wanted thenomination himself or because he wanted to deny it to the man who hadtreated him so cavalierly. Probably both elements were mixed. Certainly,Smith was motivated by personal ambition: in 1932, he was, after all, onlyfifty-eight years old, still vigorous and bored with the life of a businessman.He was motivated also by the fact that the Depression made election of theDemocratic candidate, even a Catholic Democratic candidate, a virtualcertainty, and he desperately wanted to prove that being a Catholic and anIrishman did not disqualify a man from the presidency. One visitor,listening to Smith recount how it had been the religious issue that haddefeated him in 1928, said, "He felt so terribly hurt, so outraged by that, andthe point that he was making was that having been defeated on that issue ina year in which he was bound to be defeated, everybody, including FDR,should have stood aside to let him have the nomination in a year in whichhe could have been elected! He was very much wrought up about it, hepounded his fists and his voice got loud. He shouted at times in that
conversation." But no consideration was stronger than Smith's feelingstowardRoosevelt in pushing him at the last moment into a race foredoomed by thefact that Roosevelt had a four-year head start.Moses saw at once that the effort was hopeless. "The Smith movementnever had a chance," he was to recall. "It started very late, and really had noorganization to speak of." He never let himself be deluded by thosereminders of past glories which gave Belle Moskowitz, Henry Moskowitz,Judge Proskauer, Herbert Bayard Swope and George McLaughlin flashes ofhope: the rallying of Walker and Tammany to Smith's side after Roosevelthad authorized Samuel Seabury to investigate corruption in New York City;the defection to Smith's banner of big-city organizations and the consequentraising of his delegate count to 201; the wild cheers of the tremendousthrong that lined his route from the La Salle Street Station in Chicago to theCongress Hotel, where a Smith-for-President headquarters had been hastilyestablished. But practical realities did not weigh with Moses where AlSmith was concerned. Moses was one of those who struggled to the end inconvention maneuvering so bitter that Ed Flynn called it "a fight to thedeath," who fought to hold together an alliance of dark horses that deniedRoosevelt the nomination until the fourth ballot, who thought for a fewbrief hours that they actually had Roosevelt stopped and would be able toforce the party to turn to Smith, and whose hopes were finally dashed whenthe ex-Governor's old adversary, William Randolph Hearst, used hisinfluence with California's William G. McAdoo and John Nance Garner,Governor of Texas, to force the California and Texas delegations to switchto Roosevelt. Moses was one of the small group of friends who sat downwith Smith in front of a radio in the Congress Hotel to listen to the lastballot, who watched the former Governor haul himself wearily out of hischair as soon as McAdoo began the speech that signaled the Californiaswitch and with a wave of his hand direct them to start packing so theycould leave Chicago. He was one of those who sneaked out of the CongressHotel by a side door with Smith at the moment that crowds were jammingthe front entrance to greet the arriving Roosevelt, who listened to the ex-Governor, cornered by reporters, refuse to say he would support his party'schoice and who watched anxiously as Smith sat silent on the long train ride
home with his face marked by what one observer called a "tired sadness."And if Moses accepted Smith's defeat with his mind, he never accepted itwith his heart. A month after the convention, with "Happy Days Are HereAgain" drowning out the strains of "The Sidewalks of New York" forever inthe Democratic Party's consciousness, Smith's campaign staff held its firstand only reunion, complete with a menu featuring "Nuts McAdoo," "CeleryFarley" and "Branchless Olives Roosevelt" in the Empire State Club in theEmpire State Building. And Moses' contribution to the occasion reflectedhis bitterness. It was a quotation from Shakespeare that he selected for anepigraph on the menu's cover: Politics is a thieves' game.
"He had a real conviction about Smith," Moses told an interviewer. "Itamounted to an actual hatred. He felt that Smith had prevented him frombeing Governor and if he had been Governor he would have been President.Seabury hated the Governor, really hated him." By 1933, wrote a Seaburybiographer, "his anti-Tammany stand was not merely a cause. It was amania." The narrowness of his perspective made him feel that the mostsignificant fact about Moses was that he was Smith's protege. If Mosesbecame mayor, Seabury thought, the ex-Governor would have anopportunity to move Tammany quietly back into control of City Hall.Reform's great opportunity to cleanse the city, the opportunity he had givenit, would be lost.When Joseph Price, following the Fusion Conference Committee meeting,told Seabury its members were for Moses, Seabury refused to approve thechoice. And he strongly hinted—he would "reserve all personal liberty ofaction" was the way he put it—that if the committee nominated Moses, hewould enter his own candidate in the race. Recalling his own feelings,Moses said later: "Nobody could be elected without Seabury. With Seaburyon his side, anyone running on a Fusion ticket could have won that year.Without him—no, it would have been absolutely impossible to win." Mosesissued a statement saying: "I am not a candidate for the Fusion nominationfor mayor and should not accept the nomination if it were offered to me."The Fusion leaders agreed that Seabury's support was crucial. And even ifthey hadn't felt that way, they would have been reluctant to go against hiswishes. They began looking for other candidates. Price drafted an angrystatement of resignation from the committee. "The best equipped and mostable man considered for the Fusion nomination, a man fearless andindependent, was objected to by Judge Seabury upon the narrow-mindedreason that he is a close friend of Alfred E. Smith, the most popular man inNew York City," the statement said. "The Fusion Conference itself waspractically unanimous for Mr. Moses. . . ." But Price was persuaded towithdraw his resignation, to leave unpublished his statement—and to joinwith the rest of the committee in a search for another candidate.Five reformers were to be offered the nomination during the hectic weeksthat followed.
But these were men to whom politics was something more than an avenuefor the realization of personal ambitions. Two of the five—judges—said that they were happy being judges; a third, a business executive,preferred a career in private life to one in public. And if they did havepolitical ambitions, they subordinated them to principle. RaymondIngersoll, fifty-eight, a wealthy respected social worker who had served as apark commissioner in the Mitchel administration and as a campaignmanager in Smith's 1924 gubernatorial campaign, wanted to be mayor butwas afraid his health would not allow him to do the job properly, and so hedeclined the nomination. Then Seabury and Maurice P. Davidson, chairmanof the City Fusion Party, taking a room in the Hotel Commodore to avoidreporters, offered the nomination to Nathan Straus. Wrote Davidson: "Iremember how he came into the room; slim, well-groomed, and how heremoved his gloves, laid down his hat and cane, and how delighted he waswith the offer, and how he said 'nothing has occurred in my lifetime orwould ever occur which would bring me greater happiness than theopportunity to serve as mayor of the City of New York, but I ask forty-eighthours to consider.' We met again several days later, and he said that he haddiscussed the matter with some of his advisers and had decided to decline. .. . The ill-fated star of Adolf Hitler was rising. . . . Jews were accused byHitler of endeavoring to encompass the control and government of thewhole world. Ridiculous and absurd as those charges were, Nathan Strausrefused to accept a nomination for Mayor at a time when Herbert Lehmanwas Governor because it might give credence in some quarters to Mr.Hitler's charges. He felt that in the interest of the welfare of his own peopleof the Jewish faith and in order not to handicap the success of the reformmovement in New York it was up to him to subordinate any and all personalambition in the interests of the public good and he, too, therefore declined."There was a politician who wanted the nomination, wanted it desperately."Fiorello H. La Guardia was standing in the wings—not standing, butmoving around very, very rapidly," Davidson was to write. "He would sendfor me every once in a while and say, 'How are you getting on?' . . . Hewould say, 'Well, who's your latest mayor?' and I would tell him. He wouldjump around and shake his fist and he'd say, 'Well, there's only one man
going to be the candidate, and I'm the man. I'm going to run. I want to bemayor.' "La Guardia, a nominal Republican too liberal for most Republicans, hadalready lunged for the prize twice before. In 1921, president of the Board ofAldermen, he had sought the nomination from the Fusion committee ofwhich Moses was secretary, but the reformers had turned instead to HenryCurran, one of their own, and when La Guardia ran against Curran in theRepublican primary, he had failed to carry a single borough. In 1929, theLittle Flower had received the Republican nomination, and the onlyremarkable aspect of his campaign against Jimmy Walker, then at the heightof his popularity, was the size of his defeat: failing to carry a singleassembly district, La Guardia received only 367,675 votes to Walker's867,522. Then, in 1932, after five terms as a congressman from Latin EastHarlem, where he had constructed an aptly named personal Italian-Americanpolitical machine—the Gibboni (apes)—La Guardia had been defeated by aTammany hack. Out of a job at the age of fifty, branded a loser, only bywinning the mayoralty could he resuscitate a political career that seemed tobe gasping out its last breath.La Guardia possessed qualifications for making the run beyond the factthat, half Jewish and half Italian, married first to a Catholic and then to aLutheran of German descent, himself a Mason and an Episcopalian, he waspractically a balanced ticket all by himself. Campaigning for mayor in1929, he had made charges—many of the city's magistrates were corrupt;except for Al Smith, "there isn't a Tammany politician that would care tohave his bank account examined"—that the city had thought exaggerateduntil the Seabury investigations, which began just a month after theelection, had proved that most of them were understatements. As the TinBox Parade swung into full stride, the Times commented that La Guardiawas the only man with the right "to stand up in New York City today andsay: 'I told you so.'"But La Guardia, son of immigrants, raised in tenements, possessor ofneither a high-school nor an undergraduate college degree,* was from adifferent background than the reformers, and this was not an unimportant
point with them. The members of the Fusion Conference Committee, andmuch of that segment of New York for which the committee spoke, were, asone of La Guardia's biographers put it, "educated at the best colleges,financially secure, eminent in the professions and business, and primarilyold-stock American Protestant but also significantly Jewish. . . . The fusion-ists came, in short, from Gotham's gentry." And the attitude of many ofthem was, if not bigoted, at least parochial. "They preferred one of theirown kind as Mayor or at least a type more like themselves" than theswarthy little Italian-American.La Guardia's personal style was screaming, ranting, fist-shaking and morethan a little irresponsible. (Learning that a family had been burned to deathwhile the mother tried unsuccessfully to telephone the Fire Department, heinsinuated that the telephone company was guilty of murder. Testifyingbefore a legislative committee on rent controls, he said, "I come not topraise the landlord but to bury him.") These men who distrusted excessdistrusted him. And he did not hesitate to play melting-pot politics, to wavethe bloody flag, to appeal, in one of the seven languages in which he couldharangue an audience, to the insecurities, resentments and prejudices of theethnic groups in the immigrant district he had represented in Congress. ("Ican outdemagogue the best of demagogues," he told one aide. "I inventedthe low blow," he boasted to another.) His naked ambition for high office,his cockiness, truculence and violent temper—while he was president of theBoard of Aldermen, Curran once had to restrain him physically fromstriking the City Comptroller—repelled them.
* He had earned an LL.B. from New York University Law School byattending classes, mostly in the evening, from 1907 to 1910.Furthermore, although the reformers considered themselves liberals, theirdefinition of the term was decidedly pre-Depression, and La Guardia wasfar too liberal for them. A New Dealer before the New Deal, he made acareer for himself as a leader of the have-nots against the haves—and theywere haves. His efforts in Congress might have made him, in hisbiographer's words, "the plumed knight of organized labor," but organizedlabor, militant, aggressive organized labor, was not precisely whatreformers had in mind when they spoke moist-eyed of the working man. LaGuardia lashed out, moreover, at the city's businessmen who were Fusion'sfinancial cornerstones, charging, without offering proof, that big propertyowners were receiving low assessments on their property. When in 1929 heattempted to falsely persuade voters that he was a Fusion as well as aRepublican candidate, the Citizens Union replied with a statementcharacterizing him as an opportunistic, excitable, unpredictable radical.Many reformers, La Guardia's biographers say, were happy that his ousterfrom Congress had apparently put an end to "an obnoxious career propelledby unstable and dangerous ambitions." The fact that in 1933 La Guardiawas "the only professional Republican politician in the city who coulddramatize both himself and an issue" did not move them. Moreover,Republican leaders detested this Republican whom they considered aradical. They flatly refused to accept him. Seabury, while not committinghimself, noted that La Guardia was an excellent campaigner; the judgewanted to win. But every time La Guardia's name was brought up, it wasgreeted with open hostility by most other members of the FusionConference Committee. Running out of candidates, they began again tolean to Moses. Price asked him to reconsider his withdrawal. Seabury beganpushing more strongly for La Guardia, possibly because he saw him as theonly remaining viable alternative to Moses, but on July 26 Price took aninformal telephone poll of the Fusion Conference Committee. The vote waseighteen for Moses, five for La Guardia. Moses agreed to let Price presenthis name again. He felt that Seabury, confronted by the fait accompli of thenomination, would not split the movement and would back him.
The Fusion leaders felt the same way. A meeting of the committee wasscheduled for the following afternoon at the Lawyers Club, 115 Broadway,at 3 p.m. A room was reserved. Reporters were alerted that an importantannouncement would be made. Everything was in readiness to offer Mosesthe Fusion nomination for Mayor of the City of New York. As late as noonon July 27, Moses must have felt confident that he had it.But at noon on July 27, three hours before the meeting was to convene,Seabury invited Davidson to lunch at the Bankers Club and demanded thenomination for La Guardia. When Davidson told him that the committeehad decided to give it to Moses, Seabury struck the table with his clenchedfist so hard that dishes rattled loudly in the suddenly hushed dining room."You sold out to Tammany Hall," the judge shouted. "I'll denounce you andeverybody else. You sold out the movement to Tammany Hall." Leaving hisguest at the table, he strode out of the dining room to theelevator. Davidson, remonstrating, followed, but Seabury, in the elevator,turned and said, "You sold out. Goodbye"—and the door shut in Davidson'sface.Striding back to his office, which was located at 120 Broadway, directlyacross from the Lawyers Club where the Fusion Committee was to meet,Seabury issued a statement broadly hinting that he would run another ticket.The Fusion leaders, realizing that they had miscalculated, began to searchfrantically for a new candidate. Moses, learning of these developments bytelephone from Price, told him that he didn't want his name placed innomination.In an attempt to placate Seabury while not alienating the Republicans, whostill refused to nominate La Guardia, the committee nominated independentDemocrat John F. O'Ryan, former member of the City Transit Commission.The reporters covering the Fusion meeting ran across Broadway toSeabury's office to learn his reaction. Seabury hardly knew O'Ryan—andsince he knew his ignorance was shared by the voters, he believed O'Ryancould not win. Seeing by now a tiger behind every bush, the Judge told thereporters that this was the reason O'Ryan had been nominated. Tammany, hecharged, had forced Republican leaders, some of whom "have long been the
owned and operated chattels of Tammany Hall," to nominate a weakcandidate. O'Ryan withdrew for the sake of unity. A new "harmonycommittee" was formed. It included not only Seabury but the one man whocould match him in prestige among the reformers, Charles Culp ("CC")Burlingham, who at eighty-two still had the gift of making men forget theirdifferences and remember their common cause. When Seabury began toroar "sellout" during one harmony committee meeting, Burlingham said,"Sit down, Sam, sit down." While the other members goggled at hearing theBishop called by his first name, he sat down. And after midnight on August4, CC persuaded the committee members, with the exception of Price andDavidson, who held out for Moses to the last, to authorize Seabury to call awaiting La Guardia and tell him the nomination was his.The reform movement of New York City had wanted Robert Moses formayor. Of all the influential reformers, only one had been firmly opposed tohim. Given the almost certain success in 1933 of a Fusion ticket headed byso popular a candidate, it is hardly an overstatement to say that only oneman had stood between Moses and the mayoralty, between Moses andsupreme power in the city. But that man had stood fast; at the last moment,as Moses must have felt the prize securely within his grasp, it was deniedhim

Just added a few bits from the Power Broker. Moses was arguably Smith's closest friend espically after he left office, when Al was governor FDR would hang out with Moses so he could get to Smith. I can defo see Moses trying to crown Moses for a role either Governor or Mayor, even his endorsement if Moses runs as a republican would hugely help. What Moses would do in office or president remains to be seen but he is a big anglophile so maybe earlier intervention if we are ignoring the butterflies.
No. Please read another book about Al Smith.

Moses DID run as a Republican for Governor and his own lack of mass political ability doomed him AND Smith declined to endorse him out of party loyalty.

Back